New PC and Windows 10

Sharky Forums

Thread: New PC and Windows 10

Expensive Sushi

New PC and Windows 10

So I'm in the process of building a new PC and want to use the hard drive from my current system. My current system came with Windows 8 pre-installed and I later did the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was released. Because of this I don't have a physical copy of Windows 10, just a partition with the recovery image on it. One problem with the recovery image is that I would assume it would install Windows 8 back on the drive as opposed to 10. My question is if there is a way to make an image of Windows 10 since I currently have it installed or if I can simply just put the hard drive in the new system the way that it is and replace all the drivers from my old system with the new. I'm not sure if either option is possible if anyone could help me out. Just trying to save $130 on buying another copy of an OS that I already own since I'm not gonna be using the old PC anymore.

EDIT: I don't know if this makes a difference, but I thought about doing the new PC in stages and putting the parts into the old system until the whole system is new (with the exception of the HDD). First graphics card, 2nd PSU, 3rd Mobo and CPU, and 4th ram.
    Last edited by DDorrell86; 06-02-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Sushi
    Create new recovery image on windows 10 and use that image to install windows 10.

Sushi
    if I want to reinstall it on my laptop, is it better to do this with formatting all the disks or can I not format my data?

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinLopez View Post
    if I want to reinstall it on my laptop, is it better to do this with formatting all the disks or can I not format my data?
    "Better" is relative. A clean install off a format will definitely operate smoother, but dealing with backups and getting all your crap re-installed is kind of a PITA.

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by robert4u View Post
    Create new recovery image on windows 10 and use that image to install windows 10.
    Agree.. go with this......

Expensive Sushi
    Do you really think Windows 10 is the best option?

If you're buying a new Windows 10 PC, chances are you'll receive Windows 10 Home. But should you upgrade to Windows 10 Professional

I have a hybrid laptop that came with a 120 GB SSD for main drive and although I installed new programs on D:, it still put some on C: and I was constantly out of space. I followed this tutorial and restored my system from disk image to the new 250 GB SSD.I performed the restore from image but laptop started with system repair so I had to shut down completely and then power up and it straightened itself out. However, Windows system image put a 499 MB partition at end of original C: that prevented extending to rest of drive, additional 125GB

Sushi
    The windows 10 is the best operating system for using. Personally, I like the automatic update feature but i am getting the error code 0x80004005 while updating.