VPN remote user having 2d monitor problem

Sharky Forums

Thread: VPN remote user having 2d monitor problem

Sushi

VPN remote user having 2d monitor problem

I work from home using VPN. I connect to my company via a router with a monitor connected to HDMI (only one HDMI port available). I have been using an older monitor as my 2d one successfully since last year. It is connected with a VGA to DP cable. The other night it suddenly went blank, no power, no anything. I tested it with another outlet and got power but it seemed each time I attached the VGA/DP cable, it went dead. I called my lame IT department and they were no help. I purchased a new VGA/HDMI cable thinking that was the problem but it still does not work nor does it work on another older 17" NEC monitor I had. I have ensured the display settings are correct (extend to 2d monitor) and nothing had changed up to the moment it all went dead. My IT department said they have not done any hardware or firmware updates to my router.

Can anyone help me figure out the problem before I go an invest some big money in a new monitor? I'm lost. Thanks in advance.

Welcome!
    How old is the monitor? And you don't have to spend a lot on new monitors... 22" LCD monitor can be found for sale around $100 or so.

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by proxops-pete View Post
    Welcome!
    How old is the monitor? And you don't have to spend a lot on new monitors... 22" LCD monitor can be found for sale around $100 or so.
    The monitor is pretty old, about 2001, but it was odd that I got nothing on the screen with my 20" as well as my old 17" one. One monitor failing I can understand but both? that is weird. I've been looking at new monitors, I just hate to spend money if the monitor is not the problem...

I understand but 2001 is very old... I'm surprised that they still work!
    having said that, if you have a friend's monitor you can borrow, I'd try that to see if it's the cable or your computer first...