Thoughts on this setup

Sharky Forums

Thread: Thoughts on this setup

Expensive Sushi

Thoughts on this setup

Hi all,
    looking at this desktop at SamÂ’s:
    https://www.samsclub.com/p/cyberpowe...home/P03005966

Will mostly be doing RPGs, mechwarrior, Fantasy Grounds VTT, Arkham series, Diablo, Star Wars games, etc.
    My current gaming desktop (dual display) is over 11 years old and is not upgradable to win11, the case is broken, etc. so it is time for an upgrade

Or is there a way to build an equivalent or better system myself for the same amount?

Sorry for the tardy response, but going on the specs alone, it looks decent enough for light gaming at 1080P. The 12GB RTX 3060 (I specify 12GB because there's a weaker 8GB version of the RTX 3060) is perfectly fine for 1080P gaming, just don't expect to run AAA GPU intensive games at max ingame graphics settings, that is, be a little more realistic about your expectations and you should be fine.

I'm NOT a big fan of nVidia, the RTX 3060 12GB is just decent enough for modern games, though I'd have liked to see something like the RX 6700 XT/6750 XT instead. Still, the 12GB on the RTX 3060 would ensure that it has better longevity over 8GB VRAM cards. As to whether it'd be better to build a new rig yourself, that depends on how much the parts are gonna cost you, if you wanna, list out the parts and price and we can run through the numbers, and specs...
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    I haven't been gaming much and still sporting my 1080TI! Ah how many years it has served me.. I am just shocked how expensive a 4090 is as my upgrade could cost me around $4000 for just a video card and monitor I want.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    I haven't been gaming much and still sporting my 1080TI! Ah how many years it has served me.. I am just shocked how expensive a 4090 is as my upgrade could cost me around $4000 for just a video card and monitor I want.
    The GTX 1080 Ti is still good for mostly rasterize gaming, but I think certain would push the card much harder since it lacks certain feature set, like mesh shader. I believe Alan Wake 2 requires this feature set to run better, I think the GTX 1080 Ti might run Alan Wake 2, it may not be ideal.

I do agree though, hardware upgrade these days can be quite expensive, I now have two relatively capable rigs which should last me for the next 2-3 years, but as to whether I'd upgrade to newer hardware, I don't think so. Or, rather, it depends on my propensity for further upgrades and my waning desire to game. I find it harder and harder to find and maintain that enthusiasm for gaming. Even now, I find it hard to start a game and maintain that level of energy throughout the game. Most of the time, I find myself sorta running out of 'steam' partly into the game where I feel a lack of enthusiasm or energy to finish the game.

I've just started Robocop Rogue City, and also have just started with COD MW III....I know, I know, I should just focus on one, but like I'd said, I find it hard to maintain a constant energy level for gaming, hence my doubt that I'd upgrade after upgrading my main rig, and building a 2nd rig from mostly spare parts.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    Long time no see mikeysg. Hope all is well with you and your business (if my memory hasnt failed yet).
    I did upgrade to a 34" OLED to replace my IPS panels. It is a little annoying that every 4 hours it asks to refresh pixels for 6 minutes.

So my 1080TI is now pushing 4k video and I did play some Diablo IV on it.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Sushi
    Considering your gaming preferences, the desktop you're eyeing seems suitable for light gaming at 1080P. Have you considered the option of building a comparable or even better system yourself for the same budget, and if so, what specific parts are you considering?

It's interesting that you upgraded to a 34" OLED to replace your IPS panels. How has the transition been, and have you noticed a significant difference in visual quality and gaming experience, especially with your 1080TI pushing 4k video and playing Diablo IV?

Thanks for information