New Ryzen CPU

Sharky Forums

Thread: New Ryzen CPU

New Ryzen CPU

Been watching a few reviews of this chip. Looks very promising! Definitely has some of the same growing pains that Intel had when they introduced HT, but still have high hopes that AMD will abandon the "good enough" market and try to actually compete at every level possible!
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Well, my parts arrived and I'm having my first go with the new AMD Ryzen CPU. So, here are my impressions.

1. Unless you really need all of the bells and whistles of the X370, the B350 will probably do you just fine.
    2. If you want the best performance, make sure you get single rank DIMMs. That will limit you to 16GB, but I'm truly finding that for most users not using professional applications, it's enough.
    3. Like many other reports around the interwebs, 3200 is just out of reach, for now, and 2933 works fine without any additional tweaking necessary.
    4. This thing is a beast. My old FX system was running 7 threads on the CPU and a single GPU thread on distributed computing. My GPU units are performing better, and are down by 12-13 seconds per unit (53 sec. down to 40-41 sec.)

I haven't started any CPU overclocking because I still need AM4 mounting hardware from Deepcool for my Lucifer V2. However, despite my failure to notice that the CPU I ordered was just that, I have found that a previous gen A10 HSF does work. I was also lucky enough to be able to swap out my hardware without needing to do a clean install. I was running W10 64-bit, and it found and worked over the system. I successfully uninstalled the old MB drivers and installed the new ones with no ill effects; you will have to reactivate Windows because of the new hardware. At first the system didn't seem to do much, and thought I had a no video/no POST situation, but with a little patience I found that it booted to the BIOS, allowed a few tweaks, and it was off to the races.

I have noticed that the software registers mid to upper 80s C on the temps, but accounting for the 20C offset that we all know AMD built into the chip, that is mid to upper 60s on temps, and that's well within norm.

I'll update as I've had more time to play.

Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz

Another thing that I wanted to note. Running at default speeds, with the system's own speed control, the Ryzen supports 1/4 step speed increments. By that I mean the default speed is 3400 MHz. The system usually runs at 3500 MHz (of it's own accord), but I have seen it bounce to 3475/3450/3425 MHz, so 1/4 ratio adjustments....interesting.

Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz

Great White Shark
    That's pretty neat. How are the temps while running? Unfortunately AMD's past attempts have all been higher power/higher heat than Intel. From what I've read they've finally changed that. What are you seeing while using the new platform?

*Edit: I re-read your post and saw that it runs in the 60's C. If so, that seems like you have some decent thermal headroom for overclocking.
    Last edited by James; 04-30-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    That's pretty neat. How are the temps while running? Unfortunately AMD's past attempts have all been higher power/higher heat than Intel. From what I've read they've finally changed that. What are you seeing while using the new platform?

*Edit: I re-read your post and saw that it runs in the 60's C. If so, that seems like you have some decent thermal headroom for overclocking.
    You know, given that I am not running a high-end air system, let alone H2O, I can't complain. My Intel system is still better, but not so much that it should discourage anyone from trying a Ryzen. I actually got my Ryzen to all 8 cores OC with only 1.306V, and temps are still manageable with a $25 air cooler.

I guess I should have mentioned that the OC was to 3.7GHz.
    Last edited by Un4given; 05-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz

Expensive Sushi
    I successfully uninstalled the old MB drivers and installed the new ones with no ill effects; you will have to reactivate Windows because of the new hardware.