dual boot winME/Linux?

Sharky Forums

Thread: dual boot winME/Linux?

monarch

Post dual boot winME/Linux?

I have winME installed, now how to install Linux in order to have the option of using either one? Which distribution is better?I have REd Hat LInux 6.1, caldera OpenLInux 2.3. do i need to use partionmagic?
    ------------------
    Celeron 500MHz, 128MB PC100, shuttle's av61(VIA Apollo Pro 133), Viper V770 Ulra, Vortex SQ2500,
    Maxtor 10GB 7200rpm, Seagate 4GB 5400rpm, 52X multi-read cd-rom, 250W Power Supply.

Hammerhead Shark

First off, the question of which distribution is a matter of taste. I personally like Redhat, but that's because it's what I learned on.

As for your primary question, use a non-destructive disk partitioner, such as Fips (ships with all Linux distributions) or better yet, Partition Magic (a commercial app) to make an empty partition at the end of your windows drive. I recommend a minimum of 2 GB, more if you can spare it. Then just follow the install procedure for your distribution.

Sketch
    Insert witty signature here

Hammerhead Shark

I forgot to mention that most (if not all) Linux installation procedures automatically install a boot manager called LILO that lets you pick with OS you want to enter at boot time.

Sketch

Hammerhead Shark

One more thing I forgot to note (then I'll shut up). Redhat 6.1 had some problems in parallel port support, so if you want to print from Linux, I'd recommend going with Redhat 6.2 or later or Caldera.

Sketch

Tiger Shark

I am a Slackware user but for you first time I recommend Mandrake or Redhat. Mandrake has a better boat loader for dual booting because it doesn't have the restrictions LILO has. If you do get mandrake I think the newest version is 7.1 or something. You can download it on www.linux-mandrake.com I believe. If you are willing to be experimental go with Slackware (www.slackware.com). I think it is the best distro but I wouldn't knock any of the others, it is all preference.

Originally posted by monarch:
    I have winME installed, now how to install Linux in order to have the option of using either one? Which distribution is better?I have REd Hat LInux 6.1, caldera OpenLInux 2.3. do i need to use partionmagic?

[This message has been edited by jtshaw (edited October 05, 2000).]

OK, currently I'm dual booting Win98SE and RH 7. Lemme tell you what I did. And, just so you know, this works beautifully.

1. Clear all partitions.
    2. Use the Windows FDISK, and make a suitable partition for Win.
    3. Install. Go through all the crap.
    4. Boot into the Linux install.
    5. Use the Linux FDISK and make the rest of your HD for Linux.
    6. (here's the point) DONT install LILO. My system really dislikes installing LILO when Windows is already on.
    7. MAKE A BOOT DISK.
    8. There, once it is installed, you got a perfect setup. Windows will be booted automatically, and it will never even know Linux is there. It will work happily. If you want to boot Linux, just pop in the disk and boot. There, Linux.

If you want Linux to boot always, and have Windows be the optional one, then I dunno. Work with LILO. I'm sure it works. But that's what I did, and I highly reccomend it.

------------------
    DOWN WITH ACRONYMS!!! TYPE OUT THE WORDS!!!
    "Ich bin ein Mann des internationalen Hauses der Pfannkuchen"