Question about Linux and ATI Rage Fury Maxx

Sharky Forums

Thread: Question about Linux and ATI Rage Fury Maxx

Catfish

Talking Question about Linux and ATI Rage Fury Maxx

Howdy:

I am thinking about ordering a computer with an ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64Mb video card. I would like to partition the drive between Win98/ME and Linux, as I like to tinker around with Linux. Will x-windows work with a card like the ATI Rage Fury Maxx? Anyone have any experience with a Linux-Rage Fury Maxx setup?

Thanks.

Expensive Sushi

I thought the Rage Fury Maxx was a Windows 98 only card (didn't work outside Windows 98). Has this changed?

Catfish

I am running WinME with a Rage Fury Maxx and all seems to work fine. I also have Mandrake Linux on my hard drive and it seems to work fine with my video card, although now I'm having trouble with my mouse not working in linux, even though it was working fine last night. :-(

Expensive Sushi

Egad!! Don't buy the Maxx! I honestly haven't used the Maxx on Linux, however it was ATI's first attempt at their AFR technology. Consequentially, it uses completely separate drivers (and rarely updated).

Also, due to the hardware implementation your Maxx is useless in any MS operating system beyond Me (forget about upgrading to 2K). Also *if* it works at all in Linux, only one chip will function. I seriously doubt ATI will ever support AFR mode under any non-MS operating systems.

Personally, I like ATI, but the Fury Maxx was mostly a "proof of concept" test, and failed miserably. They learned from it, and the Radeon AFR's will *rock*. They are supposed to use the same drivers and will run in Windows 2000, etc.

But I digress.

I would pick a 32MB Radeon card (SDR to save money), or a GeForce MX. It will suit you better, and you won't end up with an obsolete card.

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited September 28, 2000).]

Hammerhead Shark

Originally posted by DrSchmoe:
    I would pick a 32MB Radeon card (SDR to save money), or a GeForce MX. It will suit you better, and you won't end up with an obsolete card.
    Yep, he's right. Get a Radeon. I had an almost identical experience. I've stayed with ATI since my PCI 4M All In Wonder (that was about 4 years ago or more.) I love my ATI cards, but I just don't get the Fury Maxx.

[This message has been edited by 100%TotallyNude (edited September 29, 2000).]
    Now sporting a pIII 733 flip-chip on an i815 w/Mushkin 256M 133 fsb rig under a GOrb...

Tiger Shark

From my experience ATI is very linux friendly. They were one of the first gfx card companies to release linux drives for almost everything they make. Although I have never tried I think it will probably work. I know there is Rage128 chipset support in Linux. Not sure how the whole two Rage128 thing will work out. There are better single chip solutions out there you might wanna consider like a Radeon or a GeForce of some sort.

John

Originally posted by J. Spaceman:
    Howdy:

I am thinking about ordering a computer with an ATI Rage Fury Maxx 64Mb video card. I would like to partition the drive between Win98/ME and Linux, as I like to tinker around with Linux. Will x-windows work with a card like the ATI Rage Fury Maxx? Anyone have any experience with a Linux-Rage Fury Maxx setup?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by jtshaw (edited October 05, 2000).]

Hammerhead Shark

Actually, it will not work. ATI has said repeatedly that the MAXX was a gamers board above all, and since the vast majority of gamers use Win9x, they were not going to support anything else. They have specifically said that Linux was not supported, and though they made an attempt to create a Win2k driver, they ran into too many technical problems and had to cancel it.

Originally posted by jtshaw:
    From my experience ATI is very linux friendly. They were one of the first gfx card companies to release linux drives for almost everything they make. Although I have never tried I think it will probably work. I know there is Rage128 chipset support in Linux. Not sure how the whole two Rage128 thing will work out. There are better single chip solutions out there you might wanna consider like a Radeon or a GeForce of some
    Insert witty signature here