HELP! Upgrade Questions

Sharky Forums

Thread: HELP! Upgrade Questions

Exclamation HELP! Upgrade Questions

After 2 years with my "beautiful" Celeron 400, I've decided to upgrade. Having a 3000 budget (but not wanting to spend it all) and having a Monitor, this is what I'll probably get:

AMD THUNDERBIRD 1 GHZ
    IBM DESKSTAR 45GIG HD 7400 RPM
    DIAMOND MX 300 SOUND CARD
    PLEXWRITER 12/10/32

This is all I know so far, but here come the questions:
    Am I choosing the right kind of HD? Is it a good deal for 146$? What things do I need to look at when buying a Hard Drive?
    Also, I need a motherboard. I really suck at picking these, so could you give me a little help? I need one that can support the Thunderbird series above 1 GHZ, so I can still upgrade in the future. Or if you think otherwise tell me. Also, where can i get that 256 DIMM or SDRAM from crucial that is posted on the front page article, "HIGH-END GAMING PC BUYERS GUIDE" It seems to have a great price, almost too good to be true. What is RAID? do I need it? Also, what it the best GEFORCE 2 card or any card I can get right now? Radeon? I already have a case and all. Any sound card suggestions? Sorry about all these questions but I actually want to buy the best I can for my money, and I'm not that experienced with computers. I would appriciate any answers

The HD is pretty cheap. If you want a reliable socket A board get a KT7 Raid it does the job if you don't want DDR Ram or other very expensive stuff. For graphics I would suggest a GTS2 Pure 64mb, It is about the best at the moment. You can get crucial RAM from www.crucial.com, strangely enough. Also pick up a microsoft intellieye explorer optical mouse as it is the best pointy thing around.

------------------
    Being an egg sucks....
    you only get laid once, you only get smashed once, and the only woman to sit on your face is your mum!
    -------------------------
    Duron 750
    128mb 133mhz SDRAM
    Gigabyte 7ZM
    Geforce 2 MX
    3.2gb and 20.4gb HD
    CL 52x CD-ROM
    ---------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    Thermaltake Volcano 11, 120mm intake + exhaust
    1024mb CRUCIAL PC2700 Cas 2.5 DDRAM
    Soltek SL-75DRV5 (KT333)
    Ati 9800Pro 128mb (stock speeds)
    Creative SB Audigy 5.1 Player
    Maxtor D740x ATA133 60gb
    Seagate Barracuda VI 60gb
    WD Caviar SE 8mb 120gb
    WD Caviar SE 8mb 250gb
    Lite-ON 48r x 40w x 12rw
    NEC 3540A DVD+- Writer
    LG 1915s 19" LCD monitor (1280x1024)
    450W Antec True Blue PSU
    WinXP Pro
    Mandriva LE 2005

What is RAID? and do I need it? what about DDR? I already have intellimouse. Thanks

I would recommend not getting an IBM harddrive. Their drives are great don't get me wrong, but if you are getting an OEM drive, they will not honor any type of warranty. I prefer to use Maxtor or Seagate myself, as they both will honor OEM warranties. As for the mobo, I suggest the A7V. It's true many people have had problems with them including myself, but now that I have it working I highly recommned it. If fact look at my signature I have two of them. Abit comes with both the Raid and non-Raid versions. My feeling on that, if you don't knopw what Raid is, don't get it you won't use it Good Luck

------------------
    Comp#1
    Tbird 1gig, A7V, 384mb PC133memory, GEForce SDR w/Razer 2000 and Tornado 1000, ya baby!!
    Comp#2
    Duron 600@909, 256 mb pc133Ram, cheez video card, cheez sound card, 2 nic's and no case. I will have to post pic to appreciate
    My Site
    Updated 2/15/2003

Hmm thats funny. My brothers IBM deskstar just totally crashed, and it was replaced for him. Hmmm, I dont know, I think MWAVE did it, and he didnt send it directly to IBM, maybe that was it.

Sounds like a good system you are about to get. What kind of mother board are you planning to buy? The IBM hard drive is very good and quit. Try partioning the drive into 2 drives (10gigs 35gigs) That way it can boot faster. Your computer won't have to load all 45 gigs.... If you would like a faster HD you should try a scsi one at 10000 rpm, but it might be a little expensive. Raid is only good if you have more than 1 hard drive. So if you are planning to get mroe than one hard drive then raid will benefit you.

------------------
    AMD Duron 650 mhz@ 728mhz
    250 Watt
    256mb @133 mhz
    Gigabyte Ga-7zx
    20 gig Quantum Hd
    6 gig Maxtor 2nd Hd
    3Dfx VooDoo4 4500 PCI
    50x CD-rom
    16x Pionner DVD
    56K USR Modem

AMD 2500@3400 |200x12| 2.4ghz Barton 1.80v
    Epox 8K5A3+
    Thermalright SLK900a Enermax 92mm
    512 Kingston Hyper X PC3500
    Geforce 4 TI4200 64mb
    Antec Trueblue 480w
    Soundblaster Audigy MP3
    NEC 21' FE1250+
    Pioneer 16x dvd Slot drive
    Lite-On 52x32x52
    Windows XP Professional

What is RAID? is it some form of SCSI? What does it do to the HD's?

Goldfish

these people cant be helping you. not one person said that the diamond mx300 is a dumb idea. diamond was sold to s3 and s3 quit supporting pretty much everything. i have two mx300 in the closet because their last driver update was feb 1999. and a3d who made the chip on the sound card is out of business so you cant use reference drivers. get a soundblaster live card. all the support in the world and they bought the left overs of a3d ie aureal. no the ibm deskstar and maxtor plus are very good reliable h/d's. i think your rpms are wrong they should be 7200. if you can wait asus just made a new motherboard for the athlon called the a7m266 which has ddr memory support. ddr=double data rate in simple terms it means twice the performance of normal sdram. the 266 fsb is made by doubling the 133 fsb speed. it should hit store shelves by the end of this month according to an email i received from an asus tech a week ago. hope this helps.
    If it doesn't stink, then it's not an authentic stinkboy.

Thumbs up

IBM DESKSTAR 45GIG HD 7400 RPM smokes anything that's out there by a wide margin. And I mean awesome speed, 7.0ms (tested) seek time, low noise and low temperature. I bought mine for $138 from Buy.com and it was the lowest price I've seen so far (use $30 off coupon form techbargains.com). Also, make sure you download installation utilities from ibm.com (especially DiskGo!) - they'll help you tremendously. Who needs a retail warranty if that drive costs twice as much as the OEM? When it breaks in a couple of years (if at all) you'll just buy a 300GB replacement for a hundred bucks or so.
    Dell 9200 w/ Q6600 at 2.8 GHz

Old school: EPoX 8KHA+ | Athlon XP 1800+ w/ PAL8045U | Xtasy ti500
    IBM 60GB 60GXP | Enermax 710BB | EG465P-VE FC | 3CR990-TX-97