Asus P2B 440BX expandability

Sharky Forums

Thread: Asus P2B 440BX expandability

JLB

Question Asus P2B 440BX expandability

I'm wondering what the best processor upgrade for this motherboard is. The latest bios upgrade for this motherboard indicates the highest multiplier (against the bus) is 8.5x. That suggests to me that it can handle a PIII FC-PGA 850 (8.5 x 100 bus clock) with a FC-PGA adapter. However, a Celeron 566 would appear to be the limit on the low cost end (8.5 x 66 bus clock).

This is all guesswork on my part. I'm not absolutely certain and would appreciate anyone who has input. I'm looking not to spend more than $350 CDN on the upgrade.

Expensive Sushi

umm if u want to use the p2b with a flipchip, then youll have to use a s370 / slot 1 converter card that actually changes the voltage, not just selectsit, but actually changes it. i fryed my first celeron 566 because the p2b only goes down to 2 volts (i think). im affraid i dont know which card will do this but thats what u need.

Catfish

Asus says that if you wanna use P3 then the motherboard revision has to be 1.12 I belive. If you have old 1.03 then you are sol.
    If u have the later then get the Asus sloket adapter, it allows the voltage chnage. I belive the difference in motherboard revisionis that one can go as low as P3 needs and the other one can't.
    Board revision should be printed somewhere on the PCB, don't look 4 it in the bios.

Reef Shark

i just went through the same thing and everything works fine.my bios revision was older than they said would work but i flashed my bios and tried it anyway. since the multiplyers are locked it doesn't matter your mb only goes to 8 its(processor) going to dictate that it self.im using the abit slocketIII which has the voltage adjustments.
    btw i have a p2bf.
    -------------------
    asus cusl2-c
    cco 700@1050 1.95v
    pal6035 w/delta
    256 pc133 mushkin
    ibm 75gxp 45gig
    sony 48x,plextor 12/10/32
    radeon 32 ddr
    sbl value
    opti v95
    klipsch v2 400

JLB

Well, I bought the Celeron 566 w/ an Asus Smart Slot 1 FC-PGA Converter. I can't get it to boot though, w/ voltage @ 1.5 and 1.7. The revision on my Motherboard is 1.10 by the way, with the latest bios revision. Going to keep trying, but I'm concerned. Can you tell me what voltage you got to work? It really doesn't matter what I set the multiplier to (you said it was overridden)?

Catfish

Regarding expandability, a P2B can run on a 133mhz bus fine, so you can go all the way up to a 1 gig chip if you have the cash. You'll need pc133 ram too.

------------------
    =========================
    MotorBreath
    PIII 600e, ASUS P2B, 320mb Crucial pc133, Hercules Geforce DDR/DVI, Sony CRX145E, ASUS 40x cd drive, AOC Spectrum 9Glrs, SB Live! Value, Logitech Mouseman Wheel Optical, MS Natural Pro

Reef Shark

i think my bios revision was the same as yours but i updated it to 1.13.i,m running a cII566 on a abit slocketIII with a golden orb.voltage is 1.8,buss speed is 110(933).it runs stable there but plan on trying 950.mb temp gets to about 92 f..
    -------------------
    asus cusl2-c
    cco 700@1050 1.95v
    pal6035 w/delta
    256 pc133 mushkin
    ibm 75gxp 45gig
    sony 48x,plextor 12/10/32
    radeon 32 ddr
    sbl value
    opti v95
    klipsch v2 400

JLB

Update: set the voltage on the ASUS slocket card to 'processor default', and it worked fine. I also removed all the jumper caps from the multiplier selector on the P2B board, although I'm not sure if that's what did the trick. I Then proceeded to overclock it to 708 Mhz (83 x 8.5). I'm a happy camper. Thanks for the input all.

Expensive Sushi

bad seed you are wrong.

You need 1.6 voltage to use coppermine cpus and asus p2v rev. 1.11 or less doesn't support it.
    You need rev.1.12 or later.
    Updating the bios doesn't help you.