Intel 810E Chipset Motherboard

Sharky Forums

Thread: Intel 810E Chipset Motherboard

Post Intel 810E Chipset Motherboard

Hey everybody, I know most of you don't concern yourself with such lackluster motherboards that use a chipset like the Intel 810E with integrated audio,video, network and modem, but one of my computer is my "server", and it's got an Intel 810E chipset on the motherboard. It's only got 2 DIMM slots, PC133. The manual tells me that I can only have 512MB of RAM maximum on the motherboard... Is that due to a limitation of the Intel 810E chipset? Basically what I'm asking is whether or not I can use 2x512MB PC133 Dimms on the two slots for a total of 1024MB of RAM... (I know, I know, most of you are probably wondering why the heck anybody would need more than 512MB of RAM, I'm actually just asking, just curious about the capabilities of the Intel810E... ) Thanks.

------------------
    AsusTek A7V133 SocketA
    AMD Athlon-C 1200Mhz
    512MB PC133 NEC Cas2
    3DPower GeForce2Pro 64MB
    Creative SBLive!Value
    LinkSys EtherFast 10/100
    Pioneer 104G DVD10X
    Plextor 12/10/32X
    IBM 75GXP 45GB (x2)
    Creative FPS2000 Digital
    KDS Avitron 195TF 19"
    Win98/2000Pro Dualboot
    FAT32
    ECS P6IWP-Fe Socket370
    Intel Pentium-III 866
    512MB PC133 NEC SDRam
    Intel 810E Video
    Intel 810E Audio
    Intel 810E Network
    Generic 48X
    IBM 75GXP 75GB
    Altec Lansing ATP3
    NEC Multisync A700 17"
    Win2k Advaned Server NTFS
    Dell Inspiron 5000
    Intel P3-700/550
    192MB PC100 SDRam
    ATI Rage Mobility-P 8MB
    ESS Maestro
    Toshiba 8X DVD
    3Com Cardbus XJack 10/100
    IBM DARA-21000 12GB
    15" SXGA+ TFT
    Altec Lansing ACS33
    Win2kPro NTFS

Tiger Shark

I think the i810E can only use up to 512 MB Ram. You can only get yourself two 256 MB Ram for a total of 512 MB Ram.

------------------
    The last person on earth sat in a room. There come a knock at the door.
    The last person on earth sat in a room. There come a knock at the door.

Hammerhead Shark

512MB max. for i810 and i815 chipsets. It will NOT recognize anything beyond 512MB.
    I have 4-DIMM slots on my i815 and I know this to be true.

------------------
    System Specifications

Originally posted by Willy-Willy:
    I think the i810E can only use up to 512 MB Ram. You can only get yourself two 256 MB Ram for a total of 512 MB Ram.

Well I know that you can get 512MB Dimms... I'm just wondering if I can use two of those on the motherboard... but I guess not... Somebody explain to me while Intel needs to do something so stupid and limit it to 512MB ram...

Hammerhead Shark

Originally posted by Genyosha:
    Well I know that you can get 512MB Dimms... I'm just wondering if I can use two of those on the motherboard... but I guess not... Somebody explain to me while Intel needs to do something so stupid and limit it to 512MB ram...
    Well my friend, the story goes like this. Intel created the RDRAM chipsets to replace the old 440BX. The RDRAM chipsets WILL support at least 1GB of RDRAM, if not more, and were the next "big thing" in computer technology. Intel was, and is still, heavilly tied contractually to Rambus and the agreement was that Intel's chipsets would run on Rambus RDRAM only. Well, when they couldn't get the crap to work they released a couple of chipsets that would keep them in business until they could work out the RDRAM problems, namely the i810 and i815. The stipulation was that they could only support 512MB of SDRAM so that when the problems were worked out with RDRAM every Intel server customer would run get themselves an RDRAM setup because of it's ability to utilize more memory.

------------------
    System Specifications

Mako Shark

Originally posted by Genyosha:
    Hey everybody, I know most of you don't concern yourself with such lackluster motherboards that use a chipset like the Intel 810E with integrated audio,video, network and modem, but one of my computer is my "server", and it's got an Intel 810E chipset on the motherboard. It's only got 2 DIMM slots, PC133. The manual tells me that I can only have 512MB of RAM maximum on the motherboard... Is that due to a limitation of the Intel 810E chipset? Basically what I'm asking is whether or not I can use 2x512MB PC133 Dimms on the two slots for a total of 1024MB of RAM... (I know, I know, most of you are probably wondering why the heck anybody would need more than 512MB of RAM, I'm actually just asking, just curious about the capabilities of the Intel810E... ) Thanks.

The i810E supports a 133mhz FSB, but not a 133mhz memory bus.

The reason it can't address more than 512MB is because it was meant to be a value chipset, and Intel wanted to make sure it posed no threat to their high end RDRAM based boards.

------------------
    This crab is not approved for consumption by the FDA.