Could my Radeon be just about burned out...

Sharky Forums

Thread: Could my Radeon be just about burned out...

Reef Shark

Question Could my Radeon be just about burned out...

...or does overclocking my proc limit the OC potential of my vid card?
    Here's the deal. My Radeon would do 195MHz easy, but I usually ran at a more conservative 180 (this is the 32MB DDR version by the way). I recently replaced my FIC AZ11 mobo with an Epox 8k7a+. The FSB is not overclocked, but with the mobo's multiplier I do have my 1GHz Athlon pushed up an extra 66MHz. Now my Radeon won't do 183MHz without terrible artifacting. Not a big deal with the soon to be released 8500, but I'm still curious. Any ideas?

------------------
    No additives, no preservatives.

Arrow

CPUs and other processors are subject to electromigration, which is the gradual breakdown of the very components that carry the circuit's electricity. A graphics card, although effected by the CPU speed, probably wears down independantly. Either way, excessive overclocking shortens CPU and graphics card life.

As long as the video card can handle a hypothetical OC @ 1.4Mhz or so, it can probably recieve it from the CPU, as though the CPU had that frequency normaly. The only situation, I could think of where the video card would be greatly affected is through some freak excessive CPU O/Cing where the the electromigration damage reached circuit paths forming shorts or created open circuits, directly linked to the video card (someone tell me if that is possible!)

Rules, I use to prevent excessive OC'ing. Do not keep on OC when not using a 3D application or shuting off the computer to look inside the case.

------------------

A-Open 300W 5-bin ATX case
    Asus socket370 CUV4X-E mainboard
    1Ghz Intel P3 815chip CPU
    Asus GeForce 2MX V7100 Pure (32MB)
    256RAM u.g.t.1GRAM, 15G HD
    Win Lucent 56K modem
    DX8 Win98SE
    Sound Blaster Live
    SFS Flightstick/Throttle
    SW FreeStlye Pro
    HP Apollo P-2250
    Afga Snapscan 1212u
    15inch e-View s monitor
    ---COL3:17

[This message has been edited by GARRIN19 (edited August 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by GARRIN19 (edited August 22, 2001).]
    COL 3:17-

Reef Shark

I did suspect electromigration, but it seemed peculiar to me that out-of-the-blue the card would no longer support as high an overclock.

------------------
    No additives, no preservatives.