Radeon 8500 Twice As Fast As Geoforce 3 In Doom 3

Sharky Forums

Thread: Radeon 8500 Twice As Fast As Geoforce 3 In Doom 3

Post Radeon 8500 Twice As Fast As Geoforce 3 In Doom 3

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this but its definatly interesting news. Here's the clip straight from Gamespot:

"It's the Radeon 8500's ability to do many simultaneous texture effects that has led John Carmack to predict that the new Doom graphics engine will perform twice as well on a Radeon 8500 as on a GeForce3"

Wink

let the flaming commence!

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.harapan.co.jp/english/JPImage_e/tanuki.htm" TARGET=_blank> "You can see Tanuki utilizes his balls as parachute for desperate suicide attack and a big treasure ship to send out those Tanuki who can't disguise as human-being..."
    -http://www.harapan.co.jp/english/JPImage_e/tanuki.htm</A>
    Batou's evil twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

Well, the voodoo 6 will kick the radeon's *** and wipe up the floor with the GeeForce.

Also, there is no way that the radeon will perform twice as well. NO WAY!
    (that would mean that on full detail settings, the radeon will be drawing 60 fps, and the geforce will only be getting 30)

------------------
    &lt;(" )&gt; &lt;(")&gt; &lt;( ")&gt; Kirby Dance! &lt;(" )&gt; &lt;(")&gt; &lt;( ")&gt;
    <(" )> <(")> <( ")> Kirby Dance! <(" )> <(")> <( ")>
    "I liek shinny things"

Tiger Shark

Originally posted by Dude:
    Also, there is no way that the radeon will perform twice as well. NO WAY!
    (that would mean that on full detail settings, the radeon will be drawing 60 fps, and the geforce will only be getting 30)

http://www.xenoclan.com/talkback/996762622,25587,.shtml

i cant find a more reliable source at the moment.

"The standard lighting model in DOOM, with all features enabled, but no custom shaders, takes five passes on a GF1/2 or Radeon, either two or three passes on a GF3, and should be possible in a clear + single pass on ATI's new part. It is still unclear how the total performance picture will look.

Lots of pixels are still rendered with no textures at all (stencil shadows), or only a single texture (blended effects), so the pass advantage will only show up on some subset of all the drawing. If ATI doesn't do as good of a job with the memory interface, or doesn't get the clock rate up as high as NVidia, they will still lose.

The pixel operations are a step more flexible than Nvidia's current options, but it is still clearly not where things are going to be going soon in terms of generality. Developers are just going to need to sweat out the diversity or go for a least common denominator for the next couple years. I fully expect the next generation engine after the current DOOM engine will be targeted at the properly general purpose graphics processors that I have been pushing towards over the last several years. Hardware vendors are sort of reticent to give up being able to "out feature" the opposition, but the arguments for the final flexibility steps are too strong to ignore."

------------------
    It was written.
    It was written.

Muhhahaha

ATI owns

I really really really hope ATI stays around for a long long while. It's great to see two good companies compete for the best product and sales.

I tell you back during the 3dfx is the only l33t card phase. I would have NEVER thought to see ATI where is it today fighting for the top 3d card market. Nothing against Nvidia, I just think they need some competition is all.

And as for Doom3, if it is anything like that total waste of CD game QuakeIII then they can keep it. I hope they learned from their mistakes.

------------------
    AMD 1000mhz T-Bird
    Abit KT7A Motherboard
    512 Micron pc133 SDRAM
    Maxtor ATA100 7200rpm 30GB HD
    ATI All in Wonder Radeon DDR AGP
    Sound Blaster Live Value
    Intel PRO/100B LAN Adapter
    Hitachi GD2000 DVD
    Windows XP RC2
    3DMark2001 = 3030

[This message has been edited by Chrisman5000 (edited August 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Chrisman5000 (edited August 22, 2001).]
    www.chrisandkristy.com

AthlonXP 1900
    Epox 8KHA+ Motherboard
    512 Crucial CS2.5 DDR
    Maxtor ATA100 7200rpm 30GB HD
    ATI Radeon 8500 *retail*
    Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
    Intel PRO/100B LAN Adapter
    SONY CDRW 12/8/32
    Windows XP
    3DMark2001 8590

Cool

Totaly dude! ATi owns and Quake 3 can blow me. actualy it cann't or I'd play it more... But I still say that if ATi plays their cards right they will be able to keep one step ahead of nVidia for a while. The Radeon 8500 is going to beat the GF3, The Radeon 8500 MAXX (if they made it) could rock the GF3 ultra's world... then the R300 is not to far away if they move a little *** and that could beat Eclips, but there is no way of knowing yet, however an R300 MAXX (if they made it) could beat it hands down I'm sure! Yo hear me ATI!? DON'T F*CK THIS ONE UP!! but i know you won't

*EDIT But it really all comes down to drivers. If there drivers suck the way they have in the past it will be another bloody uphill battle. On the other hand if their drivers start around the quality of the current Radeon drivers and continue to improve, than they should have clean sailing if they keep on schedule with the hardware releases.
    ------------------
    I wish I had a space ship.

[This message has been edited by [DWC]DarkWolf (edited August 22, 2001).]
    I wish I had a spaceship.

Opteron 165 @ 2.2+ghz
    ASUS A8R-MVP CrossFire 200
    HD4870
    2x1GB G.Skill PC3200 2-3-2-5
    5 HDD's Ranging from 80gb to 1TB
    SeaSonic S12-500w PSU