Basic Hardware help, for teen on tight budget. - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Hardware help, for teen on tight budget.

Just a thought, but the Epox EP-RDA is an nForce2 board and after shipping it's $93. And the AXP 2100+ is a TbredB, and it's only $102. There thats only about $70 bucks cheaper, and no sacrifice in performance. And then you can buy 2x 256MB PC2700 DDR Crucial with part of what you save. After changing the Simple RAM to faster PC2700 Crucial you still save $34

Oh and definately go with that RADEON, I've had mine for a couple of weeks and it's awesome.
    Last edited by purewire; 02-07-2003 at 12:15 AM.

Thing One: Core2Duo E7200 @ 3.6GHz//2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800//Asus P5Q Pro//ATi HD 4850 PCI-E//ATI TV-Wonder HD650//500GB SATA Caviar Black HDD//12x LiteOn DVD-RW//22" Acer LCD Widescreen

Thing Two: 1.6GHz Atom//1024MB SODIMM//160GB HDD//intel Graphics//8.9" LCD Screen

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks purewire.

I had actually changed to an Epox EP-RDA shortly after my last post. I've also changed the RAM. And, if I read your post correctly, this should be my current setup and price!

Case: Raidmax Model 268WBP(BLACK/SILVER) 10-bay Case Retail $27
    Mobo: Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA+ $122 ($93 after shipping)
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+/266 FSB Processor CPU - Retail Box $170 ($102 after shipping)
    RAM: SimpleTech (Simple Technologies) 256MB DDR PC2700 Major Brand Chip $45 (x2)
    Hard Drive: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive 8MB $110
    Floppy Drive: SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/KEB - OEM, DRIVE $8
    CD/DVD ROM: Lite On 48x24x48 CDRW Model LTR-48246SBlack OEM $58
    Video Card: ATI RADEON 9500 PRO 128MB DDR DVI AGP $197
    Monitor: NEC/MITSUBISHI MultiSync FE770-BK 17" (BLACK) FLAT SCREEN MONITOR $148

Current Total: $835

If needed to change the price some and get this thing to me quicker, I can scratch the speakers (Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5200 - RETAIL $73) and use the cheapos lying around the house!
    Last edited by Ruin; 02-07-2003 at 04:15 PM.
    >--------------------------| WebMaster | TheAggressors.com |----------------------<
    >--------------------------| GR.net | AGR-S.com | Tranceweb.net |------------------<
    >--------------------------|"My trade is to say what I think." -Voltaire|-----------------<

I actually meant swithing RAM brands to Crucial, but you won't save as much, but you would have still saved some money overall. Also in nForce boards the memory runs in 128-bit mode if you buy two sticks, so I would suggest getting 2 sticks of 256MB. If you only have one stick it will run in 64-bit mode. And on the rushing the order, Newegg has an option that they will rush your order through the warehouse for $2.99, but I find this option somewhat uneeded as Newegg is already pretty damn quick.
    Last edited by purewire; 02-07-2003 at 04:05 PM.

Thing One: Core2Duo E7200 @ 3.6GHz//2x2GB OCZ DDR2 800//Asus P5Q Pro//ATi HD 4850 PCI-E//ATI TV-Wonder HD650//500GB SATA Caviar Black HDD//12x LiteOn DVD-RW//22" Acer LCD Widescreen

Thing Two: 1.6GHz Atom//1024MB SODIMM//160GB HDD//intel Graphics//8.9" LCD Screen

Expensive Sushi
    Exactly what I need to know.

My only concern with getting it soon enough, is getting it soon enough to meet my needs. lol. I owe some $$ so it's going to take about 3 weeks longer than I had hoped.

I'll work on the RAM now.

As for ordering through newegg.com... my parents have an astounding NO to ordering via the internet inspite of the the Verisign logo. I saw somehwere that I can order by mail. How does this work?
    >--------------------------| WebMaster | TheAggressors.com |----------------------<
    >--------------------------| GR.net | AGR-S.com | Tranceweb.net |------------------<
    >--------------------------|"My trade is to say what I think." -Voltaire|-----------------<

Originally posted by Ruin
    Exactly what I need to know.

My only concern with getting it soon enough, is getting it soon enough to meet my needs. lol. I owe some $$ so it's going to take about 3 weeks longer than I had hoped.

I'll work on the RAM now.

As for ordering through newegg.com... my parents have an astounding NO to ordering via the internet inspite of the the Verisign logo. I saw somehwere that I can order by mail. How does this work?
    I believe it's called prepaid check. You make the order and choose the option 'prepaid check' and you mail them the check. They then process the order. But this is very slow.

Expensive Sushi
    Gott he Cheapest PC2700 256M DDR RAM I could. at $45 a pop, it adds some cash... but I removed the speakers dropping price dramatically.

BTW do you plan on overclocking?

[edit] I'll just go ahead and answer my own question. If you plan on overclocking, I suggest you not get cheap RAM, however, for normal everyday function the cheapest should be OK. But right now (and who knows when prices will go up) the Samsung and Crucial DDR RAM is $55 for a PC2700 256MB DIMM.[/edit]
    Last edited by purewire; 02-07-2003 at 04:25 PM.

you definately should spring the extra $20 for some good ram. The cheap stuff is really not a good idea. It took me 3 tries with cheap stuff from frys before i upgraded to some sammy when i built this thing
    Athlon XP 2800 Barton
    Abit AN7
    256meg Samsung PC-2700 With Thermaltake Ram Cooler
    512meg Crucial PC-2700 With Thermaltake Ram Cooler
    All In Wonder Radeon & Diamond Viper PCI
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Lite Oo 16x DVD-ROM
    Lite On LDW-451
    WD 80gig Special Edition
    Antec True550
    Antec 1080AMG
    Logitech Z-640's 5.1 Surround!!

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks for the advice, but I have no intent on overclocking.

I'd rather have the cheaper RAM for now, and upgrade later on.

As for ordering, how exactly do prepaid checks work? Would'nt it be similar to ordering through a catalog?

Currently: Dallas, US. Originally: Monterrey, Mexico
    are you studying?? maybe your school has some deals from microsoft.. like $10 for XP

get it i were you, you mentioned you do a lot of 3D, those programs like stable OS

if it's $100 well then forget it for some time
    "Est Solarus Oth Mithas"
    My Honor is My Life

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

yeah if you need an OS then look into getting an academic version. and yeah if you aren't going to push the ram, then don't worry about the expensive stuff right away. from what i understand you make the order on the website, then select prepaid check, then mail the money order to the site, they then send your hardware. other than that it looks like you are ready to go.

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks for all of the help guys!

Everything I needed to know.

I will work on the ordering aspect; but as of now it may not be until June until I have the $$ to purchase this stuff.

I'll look into Academic deals etc etc.

Thanks again.

newegg allows you to pay by check. you have to like email them, tlel them your order, then mail them the check. theyll cash the check then send out your order. it takes a lot longer, see if a buddy of urs has a creidt card and have him buy for you anmd just pay him back.
    Specs:
    Hercules Prophetview 920 17" LCD of *** kicking
    WIN XP Pro of *** kicking
    P3 733 @ 792
    384 MB Crucial CAS 3 RAM
    Geforce 4 4200 64 MB of *** kicking
    Lite-On 48x12x48 CDRW of *** kicking thanks so some firmware updates
    SB LIVE! Value
    Altec Lansing ACS 54W
    Soyo 7KCA+ or something like that

Yeah most definately find a friend who has a check card or credit card. When you are ready to buy, just hand em the money and tell em to get to ordering it....