New Dually Rig - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Dually Rig

Reef Shark
    First Boot Benchmarks:

I expected the disk bench to be higher, but considering every bar on the screen is 5 times the size of my last computer's bench, I'll just grin a big grin.

Now I gotta tweak it, any suggestions?
    Advocate of the Sharky (Ultra) High-Resolution Club [SHRC]
    main(i){putchar(341513875>>(i-1)*5&31|!!(i<6)<<6)&&main(++i);}

Reef Shark
    I would love to see the difference in benchmarks between this Win32 stuff and Win64 for AMD64.

Originally posted by reklis
    First Boot Benchmarks:

I expected the disk bench to be higher, but considering every bar on the screen is 5 times the size of my last computer's bench, I'll just grin a big grin.

Now I gotta tweak it, any suggestions?
    Dude you gotta do more than tweak it thats much lower than Ive seen other Opterons hit.. Maybe its cause I havent seen any stock 246 benchies but those look very low.
    Namely your memory bandwidth that looks very wrong. How do you have your memory modules setup?

What OS are you running? XP64? I couldnt find it in the bench info displayed.

Reef Shark
    Originally posted by jamesavery22
    What OS are you running? XP64? [/B]
    Actually I initally booted up xp64 for amd64, (one of the benefits from having an MSDN Universal subscription) but it's evaluation. It worked great with the exception of having no 64-bit drivers for my sound card. However, as soon as I tried to install Visual Studio .NET 2003 it *****ed up and down saying no to my 64-bit OS. I'm sure this is just a bug in their installer because I know it will run just fine, but it's the whole reason I'm running Windows TO BEGIN WITH so I promptly pulled it off and put a stock WinXP32 Pro on there.

Incidentally, I've decided to raid-0 64-bit gentoo linux across my two 9's for "day to day 64-bit use" of my computer.

Maybe it's a mobo/bios "flip a soft-jumper" issue? I noticed on on of SiSoft's AGP tests it said that even though I have support for agp fast writes apparently either I wasn't using it or the test wasn't using it. It's still hella faster than my old comp, but I want to milk it.

Reef Shark
    Originally posted by jamesavery22
    How do you have your memory modules setup?
    One 512 chip in the first slot next to cpu0 and another 512 chip in the first slot next to cpu1. I thought it would improve performance by giving each proc it's own ram stick to talk to through the hyper-transport.
    Last edited by reklis; 12-07-2003 at 05:50 PM.

One 512 chip in the first slot next to cpu0 and another 512 chip in the first slot next to cpu1. I thought it would improve performance by giving each proc it's own ram stick to talk to through the hyper-transport.
    I dont own any Opteron boards so someone else is gonna have to give you advice on this but your Mem bandwidth is way to low. I believe you are supposed to have 2 sticks for each Proc but dont quote me. Try it with 2 sticks on one proc.

Edit-----

Oh yeah look here

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...igerk8w&page=7

You should be getting around what the Tyan Thunder K8W got.
    Last edited by jamesavery22; 12-07-2003 at 09:21 PM.

Reef Shark

Well, I jacked around with the BIOS and I found that apparently ECC wasn't turned on. So I turned that on and a bunch of "scrubbing" stuff. Other than that, I can't really find anything.

Anybody with a Tyan Thunder K8W and want to give me some BIOS configuration tips?

One thing that is really odd that I found while digging around in there was there is apparently a system health monitor that picks up both my procs at like 120F and my system interior at about 70F. However, the sensors that I put on the HSF's myself are reporting about 80F. Any ideas?

Well, I jacked around with the BIOS and I found that apparently ECC wasn't turned on. So I turned that on and a bunch of "scrubbing" stuff. Other than that, I can't really find anything.

Anybody with a Tyan Thunder K8W and want to give me some BIOS configuration tips?

One thing that is really odd that I found while digging around in there was there is apparently a system health monitor that picks up both my procs at like 120F and my system interior at about 70F. However, the sensors that I put on the HSF's myself are reporting about 80F. Any ideas?
    Well 120F isnt really high, especially for Opterons and aircooling. Now 140 would make me worry but I know others that run theirs that hot. The sensor you put on must not be placed close enough or not even touching. 80F would be a fanominal temp on air.

But look for a new bios and see what that does.

And Im sure your benchies will raise if you run XP64. Have you tried benching on XP 64?