Apple kills it with new iPad lineup - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple kills it with new iPad lineup

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proxops-pete View Post
    I have to disagree... normalcy? really? That's bogus as you need model names to refer to distinguish from older models... or simply to just differentiate them. That has to be the biggest weak sauce from Apple thus far...
    It is a fantastic naming scheme for most people. They walk into BB and say, I'll take an iPad. No need to remember what gen or the name of the month, just iPad. Techies will always refer to them by generation, so it doesn't really matter for enthusiasts. IMO, "normal" naming schemes are horrible for the general consumer. I'm even confused at times by videocard names.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

So in short, the name progression goes like...

iPad --> iPad 2 --> iPad

If Apple kept the same name generations after generations, that's one thing... but to go back and forth... to me it's just as confusing... but whatever...

Great White Shark
    It just means that next year we get a "new iPad2"!

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

iPad --> iPad 2 --> iPad

If Apple kept the same name generations after generations, that's one thing... but to go back and forth... to me it's just as confusing... but whatever...
    everyone and their mom is an apple expert though... just because of the ubiquity of apple and their genius marketing... my mom (who is a total non techie) asked me the other day if she should get an ipad2... the same woman who doesnt even know how to check emails wants an ipad2

apple made tech mainstream and cool much like what final fantasy 7 and WoW did for RPGs
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

iPad --> iPad 2 --> iPad

They want to annualize the iPad, so it is much better to nip the numerical naming scheme at the bud before they end up getting stuck with a preposterous naming scheme like Final Fantasy has. They may move to doing that with their other products as well (they already do this with Mac Book and the Mac Pro.)

Quote Originally Posted by kpxgq View Post
    apple made tech mainstream and cool much like what final fantasy 7 and WoW did for RPGs
    I've talked about this with friends before. 10 years ago wanting a tablet like computer made you a star trek nerd. People that carried gadgets in the 90's were either big-time business execs or super geeks. Now, that Apple has made them cool, everyone wants a gadget.

That makes us real gadgeteers and everyone else posers/mindless consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I've talked about this with friends before. 10 years ago wanting a tablet like computer made you a star trek nerd. People that carried gadgets in the 90's were either big-time business execs or super geeks. Now, that Apple has made them cool, everyone wants a gadget.

As someone who went everywhere with an Apple MessagePad 2000 in 1997 I can confirm this.

TBH, until the iPhone came out I always felt that the MessagePad 2000/2001 had been the best PDA/handheld tablet. Even after 10 years. Everything else, including the BlackBerry, Windows CE devices, and Treo handhelds seemed like a step down from the MessagePad in most ways.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.

I still think about people talking on here about how the iPad was going to be an abstract failure every time I see sales numbers... anyways I'm getting a "new iPad". WiFi only version. While I think LTE is sweet I never go anywhere I would need cellular on my ipad, and besides my iphone can create a wireless network if I needed to get online anyways.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I still think about people talking on here about how the iPad was going to be an abstract failure every time I see sales numbers... anyways I'm getting a "new iPad". WiFi only version. While I think LTE is sweet I never go anywhere I would need cellular on my ipad, and besides my iphone can create a wireless network if I needed to get online anyways.
    I was a person who thought it was going to be a massive failure and now I'm here sitting pretty with and iPad 2.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

Reef Shark
    I'm currently using an iPad 2 and i'll upgrade to the new iPad for the display alone. 3G version as data is so much cheaper here than in America (€9 for 9GB per month, no contract)

Prediction: the new iPad will sell more units than the last two combined.

So I heard that the new model's name is not iPad 3 but "New iPad"?! Is this for real?! o.O
    It's what Apple has done with their computers since the Intel switch, as well as with the iPods since forever. Last year's iMac is called "iMac", next year's iMac will be called "iMac", and people who care about this kind of thing can look up the model number in some menu.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started doing the same for the iPhone. In the long run even with a small product lineup the numbers begin to get messy. The only issue is that they're selling 3 iPhones side by side (3GS/4/4S) and probably will be in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-10-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Steve was famous for saying "people don't know what they want, until you tell them."

Producing easy to use, beautiful products doesn't hurt either.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I remember people pushing back against the notion that iPads would replace laptops and there were some that thought it was totally bogus as well, but I think those were the minority. I believe what we have seen is that most people don't need the full functionality of a laptop, or proper computer in general. Most people just need to surf the web, check email, and have a modest level of entertainment through mini-games. Tablets provide this without the overhead of a large chassis, keyboard, price, etc.

I've found that the iPad has made the netbook irrelevant, but has not yet replaced the laptop. In the next 2-3 years, I could definitely see iPads/Tablets taking on the full functionality of laptops (with the thin keyboard cases.)

I think the major advancement is going to be the melding of iOS with OSX, which will eventually happen. Much like what MS is doing with Win 8. Apps will be cross platform and such. The second major advancement will be the increasing power of ARM processors. We are getting close to having a PC experience on them for basic tasks such as surfing the web, but they need to be a bit more powerful to feel like a proper replacement. The final advancement is what Apple is doing with Siri, offloading processing power to server farms. Tablets will soon be powerful enough for any internet experience, but encoding/content creation will be too hard for years to come. Being able to offload intensive tasks could be the way to get around that.

What people have come to find out is that most people don't need the functionality of a laptop. In which case, the iPad/tablet is a perfect fit.

I remember people pushing back against the notion that iPads would replace laptops and there were some that thought it was totally bogus as well, but I think those were the minority. I believe what we have seen is that most people don't need the full functionality of a laptop, or proper computer in general. Most people just need to surf the web, check email, and have a modest level of entertainment through mini-games. Tablets provide this without the overhead of a large chassis, keyboard, price, etc.

I've found that the iPad has made the netbook irrelevant, but has not yet replaced the laptop. In the next 2-3 years, I could definitely see iPads/Tablets taking on the full functionality of laptops (with the thin keyboard cases.)

I think the major advancement is going to be the melding of iOS with OSX, which will eventually happen. Much like what MS is doing with Win 8. Apps will be cross platform and such. The second major advancement will be the increasing power of ARM processors. We are getting close to having a PC experience on them for basic tasks such as surfing the web, but they need to be a bit more powerful to feel like a proper replacement. The final advancement is what Apple is doing with Siri, offloading processing power to server farms. Tablets will soon be powerful enough for any internet experience, but encoding/content creation will be too hard for years to come. Being able to offload intensive tasks could be the way to get around that.

What people have come to find out is that most people don't need the functionality of a laptop. In which case, the iPad/tablet is a perfect fit.

Agreed. Tablets still have a long way to go. I bought my Android tablet primarily for school. My gf loves it but she cant play her facebook games on it....i have a book for one of my classes on it which is awesome but my linux class uses testout which requires silverlight which neither android or iOS support so thats a no go. I bought a bluetooth keyboard for it which made a big difference for when im using it on forums and such but they all need to have available keyboard docks (like the ipad and transformer). They also need a print option for wireless printers built in natively. I had to download an hp app just to print on my wireless printer which kinda frustrates me. But for everything else its great. I can even watch netflix laying in bed with my lady with it. The kids love playing games on it and the battery life is awesome. But definetly still needs lots of work to smooth out the rough spots.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    Agreed. Tablets still have a long way to go. I bought my Android tablet primarily for school. My gf loves it but she cant play her facebook games on it....i have a book for one of my classes on it which is awesome but my linux class uses testout which requires silverlight which neither android or iOS support so thats a no go. I bought a bluetooth keyboard for it which made a big difference for when im using it on forums and such but they all need to have available keyboard docks (like the ipad and transformer). They also need a print option for wireless printers built in natively. I had to download an hp app just to print on my wireless printer which kinda frustrates me. But for everything else its great. I can even watch netflix laying in bed with my lady with it. The kids love playing games on it and the battery life is awesome. But definetly still needs lots of work to smooth out the rough spots.
    iPad has AirPlay for printing. Printer has to support it or you can share the printer with bonjour from your pc or Mac. Like I have said before though I will not be in market for a new iPad in the foreseeable future. Next years update may be a different story.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    ... but my linux class uses testout which requires silverlight which neither android or iOS support so thats a no go....
    That is just awesome. Your linux class uses MS tech. That made my day. lol

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64