iPad Wifi Question

Sharky Forums

Thread: iPad Wifi Question

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

iPad Wifi Question

I bought an iPad for really cheap. The person said the wifi was grayed out. The price was worth it even if I couldn't get the wifi working again. I got the ipad today and tried doing a few software things to it. I tried resetting the network settings. I restored the factory settings all together and I reinstalled the OS.

None of that worked. The Wifi and bluetooth are still grayed out. So I started looking around the internet and found out that the wifi Broadcom chip is embedded in the data cord port assembly. I can buy that part for around 30 dollars. To install the part I don't even have to take out the batteries to get to the chip. I only need to pop the case off and undo a few screws.

Before I jump on trying this out (for fun mostly), is there anything else you guys could suggest? I would hate to dig into hardware when it may be a software issue.

Thanks!
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

If you wipe the device and reinstall the OS, it isn't a software issue. I've never seen a software issue like this.

You can take it into the Apple Store and see if they will waive the diagnostic fee, and they can tell you what's wrong with it.

I've had the wifi chip die on an iPad, iPod Touch and MacBook Pro. Same issue on the iPad and iPod Touch, on the MacBook Pro the icons disappeared entirely from the System Preferences.

It seems this issue happens a lot of 1st gen iPads. Is it as easy as replacing the part if it is a hardware issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    It seems this issue happens a lot of 1st gen iPads. Is it as easy as replacing the part if it is a hardware issue?
    If that is the issue, yes, it's as easy as replacing the part. I've never opened up an iPad though. I would have assumed the chip was integrated…I guess not.

On MacBook Pros the chip is located in the bottom part of the monitor housing. When you use the computer with the lid closed constantly it tends to generate too much heat and it kills the chip. I suspect the same thing happens with the iPad, since iPads tend to get pretty damn hot.

The wifi on my iPod Touch died after I left something looping and it got really hot.

Thanks for the info. The chip is actually attached to the data sync cable connector. The main chips on the motherboard are the processor, I/O chips, and memory. The 3G and Wifi/bluetooth chips are on daughter boards.

About the heat, that could definitely be the issue. The wifi chip is located right between the two battery packs in the middle of the device.

Actually, if you scroll down to step 18/19 you can see where it is located. I found the entire data cable assembly with the wifi chip attached on the internet. I ordered one with the appropriate torx tool and a specialized tool to open the case. I also ordered more retention clips in case some break.

It will be interesting, hopefully I can fix it.

My main concern was if Apple signs each component to that specific device to limit aftermarket repair. I'm glad to hear it is easy to swap parts out.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 02-02-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks for the info. The chip is actually attached to the data sync cable connector. The main chips on the motherboard are the processor, I/O chips, and memory. The 3G and Wifi/bluetooth chips are on daughter boards.

About the heat, that could definitely be the issue. The wifi chip is located right between the two battery packs in the middle of the device.

Actually, if you scroll down to step 18/19 you can see where it is located. I found the entire data cable assembly with the wifi chip attached on the internet. I ordered one with the appropriate torx tool and a specialized tool to open the case. I also ordered more retention clips in case some break.

It will be interesting, hopefully I can fix it.

My main concern was if Apple signs each component to that specific device to limit aftermarket repair. I'm glad to hear it is easy to swap parts out.
    Go to the Apple store and talk to them about it. They may swap it out for you. The whole iPad, regardless of warranty. I've seen this happen a few times with friends of mine and their iPhone/iPad. Either way it doesn't hurt to try.

Edit:

Also, make sure to make an appointment it will help.
    Last edited by Nabby; 02-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

I can't speak to the iPad, but I know on the MacBooks in particular there are A LOT of different serials for parts that match a specific part number. That is, they iterate several times on part design. There are like 20 different version of the glass trackpad for the MacBook now. It's mostly the same part, but you do notice small changes from time to time. The OS recognizes it the same way.

I guess there isn't a "Genius" Bar in my area. There is a retail Apple store, but I guess they don't all have the diagnostic support.

EDIT: Ahhh, it is an authorized Apple Store, not a "real" Apple Store.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 02-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.

I guess there isn't a "Genius" Bar in my area. There is a retail Apple store, but I guess they don't all have the diagnostic support.

EDIT: Ahhh, it is an authorized Apple Store, not a "real" Apple Store.
    Bah, boned. Well, then replacing it may be a good option. I've managed to screw up an iphone opening it up so do be careful.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:

Holy crap! I opened it up, install the data cable with wifi module, and reset the ipad. I have wifi!

I gave this repair about a 1% chance of working.

Total into the ipad: 210

Not bad

Holy crap! I opened it up, install the data cable with wifi module, and reset the ipad. I have wifi!

I gave this repair about a 1% chance of working.

Total into the ipad: 210

Not bad
    Not bad at all, well done.

Work:

Good job!!