which am3+ mb

Sharky Forums

Thread: which am3+ mb

Sushi

which am3+ mb

I am getting ready to upgrade my office computer . I am looking at asus and msi.
    due to budget constraints i will need on board graphics with capability to add at later date.
    will be buying a phenom II x2 black edition to use with this as i have no software that will be using more than 2 cores.

any recomendations? i have always used asus but hear that msi is good as well.

thanks

I strongly recommend buying a 4core CPU. Gigabyte makes good motherboards.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

Sushi

gigabyte am3+

which brand of ddr3 is compatible? i usually use adata or other low cost ram.
    which is usually why i use asus

Ram is so cheap these days. Should not be much of a concern.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by birdsbyte View Post
    I am getting ready to upgrade my office computer . I am looking at asus and msi.
    due to budget constraints i will need on board graphics with capability to add at later date.
    will be buying a phenom II x2 black edition to use with this as i have no software that will be using more than 2 cores.

any recomendations? i have always used asus but hear that msi is good as well.

thanks
    for on board graphics with capability to add at later date, nothing is better than the Fusion AMD chips. you will get onboard (actually in the CPU) ATI6550 nothing can come close to this and it is cheap. plus you can add another VGA later.

for the CPU get this one (nothing else)

AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz 4MB L2 Cache Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103942

and get socket FM1 motherboard ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

and be sure to get DDR3-1600 Ram not less.

this system will be cheap , fast and with onboard 6550 u can play most of the games... plus u can add VGA later.

u cant beat this system on low budget... the onboard graphics is awesome. plus its 4 core 2.9G
    Last edited by horizons; 09-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Horizons is just offering bad advice.

The first poster wanted an AM3+ socket motherboard. Why even recommend a FM1 board? It is pretty obvious that the first poster wants to upgrade to the future bulldozer then they are released.

I'll definitely recommend Gigabyte as I am running a GA-990FXA-UD7 and it is absolutely brilliant. This particular board is probably outside your budget, but there are cheaper 990FX boards by Gigabyte. As for onboard graphics, there is no need to force yourself to get a motherboard with just onboard graphics when you can get a discrete card that is admittedly not very fast, that won't break the bank.

Also, the recommendation of the memory speed by Horizon again is just bad advice. If you are serious about having a clear upgrade path on the AM3+ platform with the future bulldozer cpus, make sure the memory is not slower than DDR3-1866. This will the native speed for the memory of the new bulldozer cpus.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | 16GB Corsair Vengenance | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 | ATI HD 4850 | Crucial C300 128GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung F3 1.5TB | LG GH22LS30 DVD | Antec NeoPower 550W | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    Apple Macbook Pro (13.3") | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 1066 | nvidia 9400M | OSX "Snow Leopard"
    Currently playing; EvE Online - Incarna (PC/Mac) | League of Legends (PC)

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by qmul View Post
    Horizons is just offering bad advice.

The first poster wanted an AM3+ socket motherboard. Why even recommend a FM1 board? It is pretty obvious that the first poster wants to upgrade to the future bulldozer then they are released.

I'll definitely recommend Gigabyte as I am running a GA-990FXA-UD7 and it is absolutely brilliant. This particular board is probably outside your budget, but there are cheaper 990FX boards by Gigabyte. As for onboard graphics, there is no need to force yourself to get a motherboard with just onboard graphics when you can get a discrete card that is admittedly not very fast, that won't break the bank.

Also, the recommendation of the memory speed by Horizon again is just bad advice. If you are serious about having a clear upgrade path on the AM3+ platform with the future bulldozer cpus, make sure the memory is not slower than DDR3-1866. This will the native speed for the memory of the new bulldozer cpus.
    sorry to disappoint you , but it is obvious the poster wanted entry level low cost machine , he is even considering phenom 2x and onboard graphics till he CAN add a GPU.

he even mentioned low cost rams in other post.

as for your 1866 bla bla , I said 1600 NOT LESS , I didnt say 1600 only ..

I was considering he cant pay for 1866 .. and i said go for 1600 Minimum coz he was talking about CHEAP RAM..

my advice is not a BAD advice for a low end entry level machine . and next time post your recommendations without pointing at names .. say your recommendation and say I prefer this over the FM and dont say person X offers BAD advice.
    Last edited by horizons; 09-03-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I strongly recommend buying a 4core CPU. Gigabyte makes good motherboards.
    yes.. I would recommend this too