Apple kills it with new iPad lineup - Page 7

Sharky Forums

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Apple kills it with new iPad lineup

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    The added resolution in a 27"-30" would be quite useful for video above 1080p.
    It would be useful to put yo windows inside yo windows inside yo windows, yo.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    It would be useful to put yo windows inside yo windows inside yo windows, yo.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-27-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Reef Shark
    The added resolution in a 27"-30" would be quite useful for video above 1080p.
    dunno, some of my friends edit 4-5k video from RED cameras for a living (though the final product is 1080p) and I've heard them complain about a lot of stuff (the Mac Pro release cycle for example, or the need to DIY all the RAM/HDD upgrades unless they want to spend loads of extra money) but never about display resolution. they do the majority of their work in that final cut pro window arrangement where the actual video takes up like 20% of the screen.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Well I hope someone hurries up with a 5184x3456 (or better) resolution screen so I can finally see what the photos from my camera look like without having to resize/crop them.

(If my math is right, that ends up at about a 15.6" screen if you want 400ppi, or 24" at 264ppi like an iPad 3.)
    Last edited by linoleum; 03-29-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: math

Great White Shark
    As a counterpoint to this: I recently put CM9 on my HP Touchpad. I have to say that ICS is one of the best tablet interfaces I've seen. I love the notifications, the task handler, everything. I dearly wish WebOS had taken off, but with it dying a slow inevitable death, ICS is probably 2nd place in my heart of tablet OS's. I've tried IOS, I just can't get into it.

Give me one of those new 10" 1920x1200 Transformer tablets with ICS and I'll be super happy.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

So, this funny thing happens to your eyes after using the Retina iPad for a bit. Basically, you get used to reading such clear text and going back to a lower DPI screen is like going back to a black and green TI terminal.

The 1280x800 screen on my MacBook Pro looks horrible to my eyes now. I instantly see all the aliasing artifacts whenever I look at a letter. I find myself leaning way back trying to simulate Retina but it just doesn't cut it.

Reef Shark
    Went to an electronics store today to buy a new washing machine. They had a display of new iPads near the entrance, first time I saw the retina display in person. I was fairly certain that I wasn't going to upgrade from my iPad 2, but I walked out of that store with a new washing machine and a The New iPad.

Jesus christ this display is good. Words can't describe this display, no other phone or tablet or computer has a display this good. Even if you've heard all the reviews raving about this screen, it's a million times better in person. The people who described it as moving paper are pretty much on point.

In bad news, the new high-end Xeons are over 2k a piece. I smell a price increase on the upcoming Mac Pro refresh. Not that it matters when the rest of your gear costs 20x as much as your computer, but still annoying.

But that price increase would also come with a CPU performance increase of 50% which which is huge until developers learn to actually harness GPU power ie never
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    In bad news, the new high-end Xeons are over 2k a piece. I smell a price increase on the upcoming Mac Pro refresh. Not that it matters when the rest of your gear costs 20x as much as your computer, but still annoying.
    I think they may just drop the Mac Pro all together.

I've heard from a lot of people that bought the new iPad right away that after the novelty of the screen wore off, it pretty much does everything their old iPad did. It doesn't increase functionality, but it does increase the impulse to purchase. GG Apple.

Reef Shark
    ^ yeah pretty much. but the novelty of the display only "wears off" in the sense that it becomes the new standard for what you expect from a display. Remember how good the iPhone 4 screen looked when it came out? This change is even bigger. The speed inprovement is unnoticable because the iPad 2 already never choked on anything. Maybe the extra RAM will make a difference when you have a bunch of browser tabs open, but I haven't noticed it yet. LTE doesn't matter to me, all I get over here is standard 3G (but at least I constantly get the promised speed no matter where I am unlike for example NYC or SF)

I think they'll have a hard time topping this one. The next iPad will be a bit thinner, probably get marginally better battery life because the efficiency of the screen and LTE chipset will be improved, and I'd guess the SKUs will change to 32/64/128 with the 16GB current gen model staying around as a budget option.

From here on the big improvements will have to be in the software, because they're getting near to perfecting the hardware. The only wish I have is a wacom style pressure sensitive layer on the screen for pen input like the new 10.1 Samsung Note. Sure I prefer using my fingers, but for some stuff a pen is just better.

The other nitpick I have is I wish there was a way to bring up the software keyboard while a bluetooth keyboard is connected. I use the iPad with a keyboard for writing stuff on my desk, and I often take it to the living room without remembering to untether the keyboard so I have to go to the settings menu to disconnect it. Like I said, a tiny inconvenience but still.

I think they may just drop the Mac Pro all together.
    I agree completely, but I think they will do at least the upcoming refresh, probably one more after that. Non-Xeon CPUs just aren't there yet for a tiny margin of stuff, and nobody has come out with a Thunderbolt "make your computer really fast" box yet. Once pro software can really harness GPUs I'm sure it will be trivial to build something like that though. Sure video pros and the like are a sliver of their profit at this point, but I think they would lose a lot of mind share if they dropped that audience. And audio people would be completely lost because of how bad Windows is with latencies there even now (they've improved a lot but they're still terrible comparatively). The reason you never see any non-Mac computers at music events is because nobody who knows anything would be insane enough to run mission critical stuff through the Windows audio pipeline. Audio people are a tiny percentage of the market, but the public notices these things and I believe it's part of the reason why Macs are selling so well now.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-31-2012 at 12:54 PM.

The screen does indeed look amazing. I dont think its show stopping or anything but it sure is crisp. One thing that was wierd to me though was when I was at Best Buy messing around with it and when I would scroll on a website, it looked like all the text would "wave" like water and look all wierd. It was kinda trippy. Anyone else see this?

*edit- I meant "text" not test lol.
    Last edited by Squirrel Meat; 04-03-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    The screen does indeed look amazing. I dont think its show stopping or anything but it sure is crisp. One thing that was wierd to me though was when I was at Best Buy messing around with it and when I would scroll on a website, it looked like all the test would "wave" like water and look all wierd. It was kinda trippy. Anyone else see this?
    Sounds broken to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I've heard from a lot of people that bought the new iPad right away that after the novelty of the screen wore off, it pretty much does everything their old iPad did. It doesn't increase functionality, but it does increase the impulse to purchase. GG Apple.
    I don't think I'd call it a novelty. That's what I thought at first. Now it's a necessity.

I'm going to try and wait for the MBP refresh, but I keep thinking about trading my 13" MBP in for a 13" MBA because the MBA has a higher pixel density (1440x900 vs 1280x800). I really can't stand looking at my notebook display anymore. A month ago it wasn't a big deal. Funny exercise in perspective.

Steven touched on a good point,

For how a tablet can be used, the "end" point of hardware is pretty close. Desktop sales have declined a lot mostly because, IMO, there is no real need to upgrade for the average person. Workstations and gamers need to iterate their hardware to keep up with software demands, but for surfing the web, using office, and watching movies, a Conroe is all you need. So someone that bought a computer 4 years ago will never need to upgrade. Tablets are getting to that point really quickly.

Eventually we may get to a point where the only reason to buy a new PC is if the PC physically breaks. PCs are good physically for 10+ years under normal use, probably even longer. I wonder how the industry will adapt once people figure out they no longer need to upgrade to do what they do.

Increasing iPad functionality will eventually eat into Mac sales. Apple can't make the iPad powerful enough to do things a normal computer will do, but they have to iterate to make people keep buying the newer model. I'm interested to see how they go about doing that.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Picked one up today for my wife. Shes seems to enjoy it.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.