Dremel disk to cut copper heatsink??

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel disk to cut copper heatsink??

Dremel disk to cut copper heatsink??

Im trying to chop up a heatsink to put on my gf4 and it just ate up about 6 of my metal cutting disks. in the middle of cutting one of the disks broke in half and nailed me in the forehead, glad I was wearing glasses

Im looking for new disks right now and I want to know what the best disk is to cut copper? I am looking at a bunch of diamond cutoff disks on ebay right now, is there anything better? Thanks

Hammerhead Shark
    i find that the heavy duty cut-off wheels cut damn near anything... i just get them at the local hardware store..

the diamond cutoff wheels you're talking about.... is that this: http://dremel.com/productdisplay/dis...5&color=cc0000 ? i've seen those around, but they cost so much i've never bothered to try one.
    My Stuff (really outdated.. try HERE for now)
    Hardware: Abit KD7, XP 1700+ Tbred @ 146x15 @ 1.80Vcore, 1x512 + 2x256 Kingston DDR, ATI AIW 9700 PRO, Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live!, 550watt Enermax PSU
    160GB Samsung hard drive
    Watercooling - Maze3, Eheim 1250, modified Super Cube radiator and heater core

Originally posted by Korndogg
    i find that the heavy duty cut-off wheels cut damn near anything... i just get them at the local hardware store..

the diamond cutoff wheels you're talking about.... is that this: http://dremel.com/productdisplay/dis...5&color=cc0000 ? i've seen those around, but they cost so much i've never bothered to try one.
    Yeah I used the heavy duty cut-off wheels for cutting cases and aluminum heatsinks for awhile... But Im all out now. This copper hs just ate those disks up.

That is one of the disks I was looking at.. but it doesnt say metal "Great for cutting, sawing and carving of hard materials, such as marble, concrete, brick, porcelain, ceramics, hard epoxy and soft and hard wood." Think I'll get one and find out =)

the fiber reinforced heavy duty cutting wheels should do fine. i cut out the metal (steel, not aluminum) on 2 80mm fan mounts and a 120mm fan mount, plus 2 120mm blowholes and a 12x12 curved window all with just 2 of the heavy duty disks. they should do pretty good.
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

My #540s cut pretty good. I only had 2 though and eventually went through both. Gonna buy some 540s and 420s as well as that diamond one and just see which works best.

How thick is the heatsink? The problem with cutting copper is that it is pretty soft and gums and chews things up. For a job like this a hacksaw would be my tool of choice would be my tool of choice (and might be a bit cheaper).
    P4 2.4C @ 3.44Ghz , 285 FSB -- Asus P4C800-E -- 512 Mb Corsair PC4000 -- Radeon 9800np 445.5/398.3 Vmodded-- 2xRaptors in RAID 0 -- Watercooled CPU, GPU and Northbridge -- Handcrafted Case

... And Folding Like No Tomorrow

Yeah no kidding! You are severely over-analyzing your project! Just get a hacksaw with a nice fine-toothed blade. You will get a much straighter cut than grinding it apart with a dremel! You can always use your dremel to smooth out the edges afterwards if you really want to use it!

The other option is to drop by your local machine shop, or school metalwork shop and ask them to zip it through their bandsaw. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-02-2003 at 12:10 AM.
    MSI KT4-VL
    Athlon XP 3000+
    Radeon X850XT
    2 gigs ram
    SB Audigy
    WD800JB HD
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1
    Optiquest V95
    XP Pro

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    Yeah no kidding! You are severely over-analyzing your project! Just get a hacksaw with a nice fine-toothed blade. You will get a much straighter cut than grinding it apart with a dremel! You can always use your dremel to smooth out the edges afterwards if you really want to use it!

The other option is to drop by your local machine shop, or school metalwork shop and ask them to zip it through their bandsaw. That would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.
    I ended up using a hacksaw for the sides. But the heatsink is made of A LOT of pretty thin fins. If I try and use a hack saw on the part that will cut the fins it will rip them off (already tried on a different one =) It works fine for the base, just not the fins.

Great White Shark
    Originally posted by jamesavery22

I ended up using a hacksaw for the sides. But the heatsink is made of A LOT of pretty thin fins. If I try and use a hack saw on the part that will cut the fins it will rip them off (already tried on a different one =) It works fine for the base, just not the fins.
    Pack the gaps between the fins with match sticks or whatever fits and if possible cut along the length of them with the hacksaw rather than across the fins.
    Q6600 (GO), Zalman CNPS 9700, Gigabyte P35-DS3P, 4G Kingston 6400 C5, Leadtek PX 8800 GT ZL (650/1800)
    2x WD 500GB SATA, ASUS + Pioneer DVRW, Antec Sonata lll case, Samsung 226BW 22"LCD, Logitech X540 7.1 speakers, Logitech G5 mouse

3GHz(9x333), stock Vcore, stock cooler
    3.2GHz(8x400), +0.050vcore (gaming, 24/7)
    3.6GHz(9x400), +0.150vcore (3DMark01 60769)
    3.8GHz(9x422), 1.5v min(set) (3d01 62926, 3d03 42285, Crysis High 1680x1050 34fps) Ouch! She’s hot!

i have a tungsten carbide tip for my dremel. It will cut stainless if i wanted to and it goes through copper and aluminun like hot butter

Originally posted by GB_Cobber

Pack the gaps between the fins with match sticks or whatever fits and if possible cut along the length of them with the hacksaw rather than across the fins.
    Because of the size I have to cut across the fins =) Else the heatsinks wont be wide enough for the memory plus the design would be terrible. The only thing I can pack between the gaps would be a piece of paper folded maybe once or twice. The gaps are 1.5mms. Plus the fins on the ends would still get ripped off unless I clamped the sides also.

Originally posted by meat322
    i have a tungsten carbide tip for my dremel. It will cut stainless if i wanted to and it goes through copper and aluminun like hot butter
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm searching for one right now =)

Use the heavy duty reinforced cut off discs. The exact Dremel model is 426A. The A is very important because they are improved 426, much stronger and more durable.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by bootlog; 02-03-2003 at 03:08 AM.

Originally posted by jamesavery22

Because of the size I have to cut across the fins =) Else the heatsinks wont be wide enough for the memory plus the design would be terrible. The only thing I can pack between the gaps would be a piece of paper folded maybe once or twice. The gaps are 1.5mms. Plus the fins on the ends would still get ripped off unless I clamped the sides also.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm searching for one right now =)

http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html <~~~ model #9901 is the one i have

Hrmm... I wonder how the Diamond wheel would work?

(part # 545)

Says:
    Great for cutting, sawing and carving of hard materials, such as marble, concrete, brick, porcelain, ceramics, hard epoxy and soft and hard wood. Mandrel #402 is included.
    Nothing regarding metal.

More on-topic, though. I have cut copper (not a heatsink but copper pipe) with reinforced metal cutoff wheels (#426) and it cut very easily but took a couple of them to get the job done with. Copper tends to heat up and literally make the wheels fall apart, after a couple minutes of consistent cutting.
    -mark

OC Crusader
    Sigma Dir CrawlingEye of the Cooler's Guild
    SharkyExtreme.com 3D Mark Team

Samsung SM348
    Asus P4S533
    Pentium 4 2.26b
    Samsung pc2700 512MB
    Seagate Barracuda IV 40gig 7200RPM
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    Audigy 2
    Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP
    Antec pp412x
    Cambridge Megaworks THX 550
    Sennheiser HD212 Pro
    Sennheiser mx300
    Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster
    Rio Karma

3D Mark 2001SE Compare: 14707
    3D Mark 2003 Compare: 4550

Originally posted by thebove
    the fiber reinforced heavy duty cutting wheels should do fine. i cut out the metal (steel, not aluminum) on 2 80mm fan mounts and a 120mm fan mount, plus 2 120mm blowholes and a 12x12 curved window all with just 2 of the heavy duty disks. they should do pretty good.
    Damn dude! How the hell did you do that with only 2 ?!?!?

Cutting that much steel I probably would have went through at least 6 of them. That is some incredible life of those discs. I wish I could get them to last that long.