Sata Dvd-rw

Sharky Forums

Thread: Sata Dvd-rw

Reef Shark

Sata Dvd-rw

After a quick search of the forums, I found no results, so I will ask here.

I'm in the market for a dvd-rw/+rw either or, depending....

The question is, Are there any DVD or CD drives that use SATA? Are the manufacturers going to make any? Are they faster?

Thanks ahead of time
    My Site -=[http://hzrd.us]=-
    Puter #1
    Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2.2GHz 11.5x190 | 2x512mb Corsair c2 3200 | Radeon 9800 Pro |Asus a7nx8 | WD 120GB/ Seagate SATA 120GB x 2

Puter #2
    T'bird 1000@1224 | 768 Crucial PC133 | GeForce2 MX 32mb eVGA | Abit KT7a-Raid | 40gb ata/100 WD | Sound Blaster Live!

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    There are no SATA optical drives... There is no point for it, since any optical drive is much much slower then a HDD in performance...

So Optical drives IMO will stay PATA for another year or so...

EDIT:
    But if you really want SATA on a PATA drive.. Just buy the adapter.
    Last edited by Colossus; 09-18-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Hammerhead Shark
    I think SATA should replace PATA forever and completely... even If the drive does not need the speed... it is cleaner and no slave master and jumperless

also, keep in mind the microATX and SFF small machines...

instead of 2PATA and 2SATA onboard why not 4SATA onboard and make these SATA DVD nad CD drives

just an openion

the adapter is cool but expensive
    My first PC...Apple //e 1982
    Then a Mac
    switch 1-Amiga 2000
    switch 2-386SX
    Then 486 DX4 100
    Then PIII 500
    Then P4 2.53B
    Now (upgraded)
    2.4 AMDX2 ,ASUS SLI ,nf4ultra,2G DDR400
    X1900XT,2x Raptors 74 in raid 0,300G MAXTOR SATA2/16cache/ncq ,Lian-Liv1000,Enermax 600WATT,NEC 16x DVDr,SB aud.card,BlueTooth keyb+mouse

Coming soon

Quad core Intel

I think that replacing all PATA with SATA is stupid

First you would be EXTREMELY limited on how many drives one can have. And the advantage of SATA is not here yet! When they release SATA II then we will see a difference!

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

(18) WD 16TB Red

Originally posted by Colossus
    And the advantage of SATA is not here yet! When they release SATA II then we will see a difference!

When might that be?
    Intel Pentium® 4 2.8Cghz | ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe | 2GB PC3200 Corsair XMS | BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GT | Audigy Platinum Ex | Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1's | Maxtor HD 160GBx2 | Creative Encore 12x DVD | Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±RW | Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen Monitor | Windows XP Pro |

Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem- 9834kbps average
    "Eat My Dust!"

Lamda Dir imayoda of the Cooler's Guild
    Sharkyextreme.com 3DMark Team
    Join The Sharky Forums Folding Team

Hammerhead Shark
    I think that replacing all PATA with SATA is stupid

First you would be EXTREMELY limited on how many drives one can have. And the advantage of SATA is not here yet! When they release SATA II then we will see a difference!
    oh really!!!

u dont SAY

now come on...

just add more SATA onboard...today there r many boards with 4 SATA onboard... ur allways crazy about drives dont u???

4 drives arent enough for u??

and PLZ respect others openions if u dont like it is ok, but making them stupid reflects ur way of thinking regardless of a smily face
    Then a Mac
    switch 1-Amiga 2000
    switch 2-386SX
    Then 486 DX4 100
    Then PIII 500
    Then P4 2.53B
    Now (upgraded)
    X1900XT,2x Raptors 74 in raid 0,300G MAXTOR SATA2/16cache/ncq ,Lian-Liv1000,Enermax 600WATT,NEC 16x DVDr,SB aud.card,BlueTooth keyb+mouse

Coming soon

Quad core Intel

I did repect it but like I said removing PATA completely for SATA is stupid

No matter how you cut the mustard.. Lets think about it...

4 SATA connectors

SATA1 - HD 1
    SATA2 - HD 2
    SATA3 - CDRW/DVD-RAM
    SATA4 - DVD/CDROM

Wow look how easily one runs out of connectors... Then add any other IDE device like a Zip Drive or whatever and now you can only have 1 HD...

Second Opticals will never take full advantage of it.. So there is no reason for the move anytime soon...

When you think about it like I have outlined you would easily see how removing PATA is silly...

Second like I said SATA is not faster then PATA The only reason the raptors are faster is the 10k rpm not the SATA

(18) WD 16TB Red

I did repect it but like I said removing PATA completely for SATA is stupid

No matter how you cut the mustard.. Lets think about it...

4 SATA connectors

SATA1 - HD 1
    SATA2 - HD 2
    SATA3 - CDRW/DVD-RAM
    SATA4 - DVD/CDROM

Wow look how easily one runs out of connectors... Then add any other IDE device like a Zip Drive or whatever and now you can only have 1 HD...

Second Opticals will never take full advantage of it.. So there is no reason for the move anytime soon...

When you think about it like I have outlined you would easily see how removing PATA is silly...

Second like I said SATA is not faster then PATA The only reason the raptors are faster is the 10k rpm not the SATA
    You are very wrong.

SATA is here to stay and PATA will disappear soon enough, however you are right that optical doesn't need the bandwidth SATA provides but there can come future technologies that can make use of it, like Blue Ray DVD of flash card readers that need more and more speed every year.

Besides Philips has already got a DVD/RW drive with SATA but it is not available yet.

I personally would love to have everything in my case SATA, SATA can also lower costs on DVD drives and harddisks because it removes unnecessary connectors and jumpers, so that is a good enough reason for manufacturers to make SATA drives and in a few years you won't be able to buy PATA motherboards so manufacturers are forced to make SATA drives.

But how is 4 SATA connectors not enough?

Todays "normal" motherboards have 2 PATA connectors and those can also have a maximum of 4 drives, but you can buy a mobo with RAID which always costs more and the you can add more drives.

But the motherboards of today that have 4 SATA connectors also have 1 or 2 PATA connectors, so there is always enough connections available.

Even when PATA disappears motheboard manufacturers will most likely make 6 or 8 SATA connections, that should be enough for everyone.
    Enermax 460w
    AMD Duron 1600
    EPoX 8K3A
    512Mb Infineon DDR
    Club 3D Radeon 9250SE 128MB
    WD 200GB 8MB
    LiteOn DVD/RW
    19" Iiyama

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by Darkman
    You are very wrong.

SATA is here to stay and PATA will disappear soon enough, however you are right that optical doesn't need the bandwidth SATA provides but there can come future technologies that can make use of it, like Blue Ray DVD of flash card readers that need more and more speed every year.

Besides Philips has already got a DVD/RW drive with SATA but it is not available yet.

I personally would love to have everything in my case SATA, SATA can also lower costs on DVD drives and harddisks because it removes unnecessary connectors and jumpers, so that is a good enough reason for manufacturers to make SATA drives and in a few years you won't be able to buy PATA motherboards so manufacturers are forced to make SATA drives.

Todays "normal" motherboards have 2 PATA connectors and those can also have a maximum of 4 drives, but you can buy a mobo with RAID which always costs more and the you can add more drives.

But the motherboards of today that have 4 SATA connectors also have 1 or 2 PATA connectors, so there is always enough connections available.

Even when PATA disappears motheboard manufacturers will most likely make 6 or 8 SATA connections, that should be enough for everyone.
    My point exactly, thank you, well said
    Then a Mac
    switch 1-Amiga 2000
    switch 2-386SX
    Then 486 DX4 100
    Then PIII 500
    Then P4 2.53B
    Now (upgraded)

Coming soon

Quad core Intel

Originally posted by Darkman
    You are very wrong.

I never said SATA will ever leave.. I said that PATA will never leave that soon either And to move over to a complete SATA motherboard is pointless...

But even if they can drop the cost from PATA -> SATA on optical drives.. The overall cost of the drive will be more.. Look at the price difference from PATA HD to SATA HD.. Its about a $30 difference.. So you really wont save, but spend more

Also like I said there is no performance gain for SATA right now.. Maybe when SATAII hits the market in early 2005.. We will see something, but right now it just as fast as PATA and in somecases slower...

And no we wont talk about the Raptor since there is no 10k rpm PATA drive...

Yes a motherboard has 4 PATA and most have 2 or 4 SATA.. So that can give you a total of 6-8 drives... Before having to waste money on a second controller...

I can see PATA + SATA connectors still being used until late 2004 easily...

You might have a difference of opnion which doesnt constitute me as being wrong

(18) WD 16TB Red