ATI really in trouble now! Read comments from many people!

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI really in trouble now! Read comments from many people!

My vision is improving! Thunderbird1GHz's Avatar

ATI really in trouble now! Read comments from many people!

ATI has 40% yield on 16 pipe x900pro. But x900xt 3% yield and could cost a grand. Read the comments I got from another forum below!

To show you how much an increase the extra ram is a 512MB XL costs $150 more than a 256MB XL and that is only using 2ns ram.

The GTX and the 6800ultra uses 1.6ns chips and the BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256MB was retailing at $499 with the 512MB versin at $999!!!!

512MB 7800GTXs at $599 + $500...no thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by St0rmer66
    CPU Limited most likely, just like it is now.

Memory prices are rocketing at the moment, if ATI release R520 with 512MB of RAM I believe it will seriously hurt their sales

R520 I believe is still a long way off yet, maybe October ish time......

Hey all,

I have just heard (on good authority) that ATi have canned the R520 development and are now focussing on R580, so don't hold your breath for anything soon! Afraid I can't quote the source - I'm sure you can imagine that it's quite sensitive information.

I don't know why the project has been canned, but I trust the source of this information, however I suspect you are right about it being more to do with yield than performance.

When a yield is that bad, it's normally a design issue, rather than a process issue,

Cheers,
    Will

I read that ATI would be launching some new product in Australia at the end of next month, I was hoping it would be the r520, but more than likely it'll be Crossfire (if this launch happens).

Without a high-end part, they'll really need to make the X850 series cheap if they want people to switch to Crossfire and not just go 7800/Sli.

Hi there

To be short and breif I have this information which is accurate and from the main cheeses at ATI, it is NDA but I am not under NDA as such so can give you some info:-

Crossfire working motherboards, graphics cards (X850 XT & X800 XT) available early September.

R520 which will be released in Platinum 512MB (9000 on 3D Mark 2005) available end of September but severe allocation issues, the willy waving product as ATI put it, but not easily available. Plus 512MB means a £450+ price area ish, I have pleaded with ATI to release a 256MB version so I hope they listen, but due to yield rates they may stick to 512MB for ultimate high-end as such. Same as G70, 24 pipelines, approx 520MHz core and 1.4GHz memory.

More readily available at end of September will be the non platinum which will no doubt perform identical to a 7800GTX, 24 pipelines, 500MHz core and 1.3GHz memory expect. Still only 512MB, but again pleaded for a 256MB version, lets keep our finger crossed.

There will also be lower end 16 pipeline version too, no doubt called Pro's.....

So ATI will have a product by end of summer, it has no real performance advantage over the 7800GTX, except for the Platinum edition which will be so severe on availability it will have a £500+VAT price. Obviously R5xx series adds SM3.0 to the lineup and other features NV cards have...

What ATI will rely on is their Crossfire out performing SLi.

Then expect NVIDIA to release a 7800 Ultra in October to beat the Platinum that ATI release. NVIDIA will do their best to stay on top. As NVIDIA are using the 0.11 process they have much better yield rates. Wheras ATI are on a newer 0.09 process which means yields rates to begin with are poor but with time this will improve and when it does ATI cores will overclock like champions, but expect that around R580 time which is Jan/Feb next year which is when NV's new botty kicker cores will show face.

So there you have it, those who have gone ahead with buying 7800GTX you've not lost out and you will no doubt not change your cards for ATI's new one and anybody thinking to buy its clear 7800 GTX is a safe buy.

P.S. X850 XT Platinum on both AGP and PCI-E is now EOL but X850 XT is remaing on both platforms and OcUK might have some treats for you soon on prices.

Whew thats about it. Everyone seems to have something they "heard" about r520. One guy believes from a reliable NDA source that ati is gonna pull the towel at this point on r520 and put their energy on r580 instead. They probably realize the 3% yield on 24 pipe on r520 isnt enough and r520 is a dead horse. They may still release midrange 16 pipe cards or just discount their x850xt to try to save market share at expense of profit. I hear they will price TWO x850xt crossfired at the price of ONE 7800gtx to try to win customers over.

Another guy says ati will go ahead with r520 but dont expect the 24 pipe x900xt to be common at all nor cheap. There may ONLY be 512mb versons because they are so rare. Price could be a cool grand a pop too. At least the 24 pipe will eat up the 7800gtx but Nvidia has the "ultra" ready anyway. Their 16 pipe will barely be faster than x850xt and slower than 7800gtx and maybe even slower than 7800gt too!

We are still waiting what ATI will do, when and if they will ever release the r520 or just push up the r580 before Nvidia releases their G71
    3000+ Venice with a top overclock of 2.45GHz at 1.52v
    Retired from 3dmark! My top score shown.(with winny)
    9700(8 pipe softmod, 128m) at 410/325 23821
    Click here to view my other scores!
    Sharky Extreme 3dmark team
    How well does my rig perform in games? Performance figures with fps to come!
    My own message board to talk all about vision

Originally posted by cookie
    Woah, Tbird is right..
    Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
    This feels so weird to say, but.......I....I...agree(with tbird)...!

sigh.........after being on the other side of an NDA i can honestly say 99% of the stuff your read is WRONG. I don't know where some people get their information from but believe me ATI doesn't go willy nilly telling random people about upcoming products.....I fully expect to see r520 release fairly soon and be something very similar to the xbox 360 gpu since that makes the most sense. But thats just a guess because i don't know anything!

Mako Shark
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahaa. Oh, man, that's great stuff. Now to decide how much atyt to buy....
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net

I hope you're right. I would guess that Aug 26 is the next date of relevance, we'll see if anything happens then.

If the fellows Tbird quoted are right, this is going to be a disaster for ati.
    Last edited by r'aggro; 07-26-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks for the spam.

Oh yeah, T-Bird, what happened to your "source" claiming that R520 was going to be a 32-pipe card and it was going to hammer G70? He die?
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 07-26-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Just looks more like rampant speculation to me, I'm getting sick of people saying how they're in the know, clearly everyone who claims as much are going to have to be wrong given the wildly varying specs that I've seen people post.

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

Well, at least it was an entertaining read.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmcl7
    Just looks more like rampant speculation to me, I'm getting sick of people saying how they're in the know, clearly everyone who claims as much are going to have to be wrong given the wildly varying specs that I've seen people post.

John
    Person A: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 32-pipe card.
    Person B: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 24-pipe card.
    Person C: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 16-pipe card.

Me: A reliable inside source told me that R520 is either a 16, 24, or 32 pipeline card. He was also quoted saying that it's going to have a clock speed between something and something else. Possibly between two positive integer values. It might release, or it might not, sometime between the begining and end of time...maybe. Time may also stop for a little bit and just hang out. ATI is having yeild problems with somethings possibly and maybe sorta. Definitely. Ummm. ATI makes video cards. This has been confirmed by the company itself. They may make more in the future.

*EDIT* This just in, my source has told me that if and when R520 does release it will sell for a price. That's right--a price. You will have to pay for it.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 07-26-2005 at 04:43 PM.

I heard its gonna need an external power supply which may come in the form of a hamster on a wheel!

My vision is improving! Thunderbird1GHz's Avatar
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! god my sides ache! it might or might not release! LOL true dat! I do want to let you know that it might or might not release! If it doesnt release, cry, else pace back and forth growing green waiting for its release then I guess you gotta pay an arm and leg for it because ati said so!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquire
    I heard its gonna need an external power supply which may come in the form of a hamster on a wheel!

Is that under warrenty too? What if it dies, runs away or reproduces?
    Last edited by Thunderbird1GHz; 07-26-2005 at 04:53 PM.
    3000+ Venice with a top overclock of 2.45GHz at 1.52v
    Retired from 3dmark! My top score shown.(with winny)
    9700(8 pipe softmod, 128m) at 410/325 23821
    Click here to view my other scores!
    Sharky Extreme 3dmark team
    How well does my rig perform in games? Performance figures with fps to come!
    My own message board to talk all about vision

Originally posted by cookie
    Woah, Tbird is right..
    Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
    This feels so weird to say, but.......I....I...agree(with tbird)...!

That read like a mystery and a drama novel. It was very well written.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist
    Person A: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 32-pipe card.
    Person B: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 24-pipe card.
    Person C: A reliable inside source told me R520 is a 16-pipe card.

Me: A reliable inside source told me that R520 is either a 16, 24, or 32 pipeline card. He was also quoted saying that it's going to have a clock speed between something and something else. Possibly between two positive integer values. It might release, or it might not, sometime between the begining and end of time...maybe. Time may also stop for a little bit and just hang out. ATI is having yeild problems with somethings possibly and maybe sorta. Definitely. Ummm. ATI makes video cards. This has been confirmed by the company itself. They may make more in the future.

*EDIT* This just in, my source has told me that if and when R520 does release it will sell for a price. That's right--a price. You will have to pay for it.
    That sums it up perfectly!

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X

I heard that the new ATI 520 card will come as a value-added prize in 15 ounce boxes of Cracker Jack...

From a reliable source no doubt?

John

I kinda feel bad for Tbird. All that hype talk only to see it all deflated by horrible yields. Guess that will teach ya a lesson, Tbird. Don't count your chickens before they have hatched.