Firefox tab icons

Sharky Forums

Thread: Firefox tab icons

Firefox tab icons

Anyone know how to change the icon next to the tabbed bookmarks in firefox? A few of mine don't have suitable tabs, in fact somehow one of them ended up with the gmail one and another ended up with another wrong one.

Hopefully it is something obvious that someone has experience with. Thanks in advance.

Firefox's favicon management is pretty poor. Come to think of it, all the browsers outside of Safari have poor favicon management. Safari refreshes favicons on every visit IIRC.

Firefox is particularly bad though, as it caches the icons and it stamps them... but it doesn't always update/refresh them, and there is no way to force it to do so. There is a thing in about:config that lets you turn them off entirely, and there are some plugins out there that will let you do what you want, but there's no built in quick/easy fix.

I have this problem with Camino, which is an OS X native browser built on Gecko. With Camino you can actually go in and delete the cache manually, but with Firefox the favicon cache is actually stored with the bookmark data. Poor design IMO, and one that isn't likely to change AFAIK.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 12-21-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Great White Shark
    I use Favicon Picker add-on. I have custom icons and bookmarks for every page I regularly visit regularly. With unique icons for everything one can eliminate the text for a less cluttered look with more choices in less space.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I use Favicon Picker add-on. I have custom icons and bookmarks for every page I regularly visit regularly. With unique icons for everything one can eliminate the text for a less cluttered look with more choices in less space.
    I took the text off of most of mine. There is 3 that still have text because the icons got messed up.