Matrox Parhelia benches! weee I saw it in person!!!

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matrox Parhelia benches! weee I saw it in person!!!

Sleeps with the Fishes Newbie-Overclocker's Avatar

Thumbs up Matrox Parhelia benches! weee I saw it in person!!!

Well I just got back from the AMD tech tour in Vancouver and I got to see some very interesting things, I got to see alot of motherboards (1 k8 board) alot of Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4600 cards running insanely cool demos, I was about to leave and then I saw the matrox table. Matrox had a working parhelia card setup with 3 monitors running windowsXP.

I was talking with Mr.Smith the matrox rep and I got some inside scoops. The first thing I asked was what games will support surround gameing his anser "all, The developer just has to code for it" Well that kinda sucks since most game companys are ****ing lazy, Anyway I got to see Quake3 v1.17 running surround gameing which was awesome they were running 1024X768-32bit medium detail and they were getting 50fps per monitor, The next thing I got to see was Microsoft flight sim which was running at 1024 with atleast 4x fsaa I believe and he quoted 30fps which is decent for a flight simm.

I asked what kind of performance will this card get vs the Gf4 Ti4600 he said:
    The maxtrox card will not be winning any benchmarks other then some of the 3Dmark tests, We believe gamers have had enough of fps and want features and awesome IQ, This card should run future games as fast or faster and should last longer because of the partial DX9 support.
    I then asked when we could expect linux drivers he said:
    Matrox will be releasing linux drivers but do not expect them for some time since we are currently focused on getting XP drivers upto snuff
    I also asked how much onboard ram will this card have he said:
    The card will launch with 128megs of DDR ram and will not feature 256 until a later date
    My final question was when do we get to see reviews and also when can we buy this card he said:
    Most review sites like sharky/anand/toms/firing have all got the card and will be posting full reviews with benchmarks in the next 2-3 weeks, The matox card will be available is mass numbers in july.
    Quake3 medium detail 1024-768-32bit 55fps in surround gameing and 160fps in signle monitor mode
    MSF2 1024-32bit 4xfsaa 30fps surround gameing
    As for 3Dmark we should expect around 11k with the fastest avaiable AXP on a KT333

I had to sign an NDA so if you repeat this you didn't hear it from me.

omg newbie, where is the amd tour? I live in vancouver as well and I'm eager to see it myself. Can you tell me some details on how to sign up for it?

Originally posted by Sgt_Strider
    omg newbie, where is the amd tour? I live in vancouver as well and I'm eager to see it myself. Can you tell me some details on how to sign up for it?
    Its at Canada place I got an invite like 3 months ago from AMD for it since I did some work for gateway, I think I saw them letting people in that didn't register or get an invite so I would head down and take alook!!! Its until 9pm tonight

wow, thanks for that info... As long as you signed the NDA with the wrong name everythings okay right?

It looks like i'll be checking sharky for a review in about 2-3 weeks
    Main PC: MSI P965 Neo-F | nVidia geForce 7300GT | Intel C2D E6400 | 250GB SATA II WD Hard Drive | SB Audigy 2 Platinum | 8x DVD Burner| 2GB Corsair XMS DDR II 675 | Logitech z680's | Cordless MX Duo | Samsung 191T | (2) 19inch Rosewill 913E

HTPC: Abit IC7 | ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Intel P4c 2.8Ghz | 120GB WD SE | Chaintech AV-710| 4x DVD+RW | 1GB RAM | Onkyo 7.1 Speakers | TV Tuner | Rosewill Cordless KB and Mouse | 15 Inch LCD | Panasonic PT-L500U Projector | USB 2.0 Card Reader

Reef Shark
    ugh, like i said earlier, this card will not be good for UT 2003 it looks like

I guess I'll skip matrox and go for the R300 or NV30...

I wonder if the parhelia can play games at respectable frame rates with one of those lcd panel things that have 10 23 inch lcd monitors to produce one image. Now that would be kewl. (except the 10X23 lcd system is 140 G's.)
    ECS K7S5A - AXP 1800 - 512MB PC2100 RAM - ATI AIW R8500 - 80GB WD SE - SB LIVE VALUE - LITE-ON 24X10X40 CDRW - AOPEN 12X DVDROM - AL641 SPEAKERS
    3DMark = 8522

Originally posted by shurleydude
    ugh, like i said earlier, this card will not be good for UT 2003 it looks like

I guess I'll skip matrox and go for the R300 or NV30...
    Well both those cards will be true DX9 so they should be faster but the Matrox card has the IQ and Surround gaming which is ****ing awesome
    Last edited by Newbie-Overclocker; 06-04-2002 at 10:34 PM.

the card has awesome features, gets decent framerates in games, what else could you ask for? thanks for the info. looks like my next upgrade is the Parhelia ....and 3 lcd monitors, time to save up!

Originally posted by FS740
    the card has awesome features, gets decent framerates in games, what else could you ask for? thanks for the info. looks like my next upgrade is the Parhelia ....and 3 lcd monitors, time to save up!
    =) good idea

so the tour is only today? Crap...I would go down to Canada place right now but damn hw .

Originally posted by Sgt_Strider
    so the tour is only today? Crap...I would go down to Canada place right now but damn hw .
    The tour their is only today. AMD has many more cities on it's toor stop, though, so maybe another will be coming your way
    Main PC: MSI P965 Neo-F | nVidia geForce 7300GT | Intel C2D E6400 | 250GB SATA II WD Hard Drive | SB Audigy 2 Platinum | 8x DVD Burner| 2GB Corsair XMS DDR II 675 | Logitech z680's | Cordless MX Duo | Samsung 191T | (2) 19inch Rosewill 913E

HTPC: Abit IC7 | ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Intel P4c 2.8Ghz | 120GB WD SE | Chaintech AV-710| 4x DVD+RW | 1GB RAM | Onkyo 7.1 Speakers | TV Tuner | Rosewill Cordless KB and Mouse | 15 Inch LCD | Panasonic PT-L500U Projector | USB 2.0 Card Reader

Originally posted by Trav2003

The tour their is only today. AMD has many more cities on it's toor stop, though, so maybe another will be coming your way
    They have these things atleast once every year INTEL should be having one in the next 6 months which I should be going if they invite me again.
    It was very fun lots of free crap and food and I got to see the parhelia which made my week

Goldfish
    Stupid question, but what is the R300??

Originally posted by businessman
    Stupid question, but what is the R300??
    Its the next gen ATI Radeon card due in sept/oct

I'm bummed, I did a search on the tour and found out the nearest location to me is NYC.

Oh well, for anyone else that wants to check the tour list, head over here
    <!-- caffeine break. -->