Physics - Page 18

Sharky Forums

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Physics

Originally posted by Blacktooth
    Thanks for the link jester22c. I sent him an email. If he responds I'll be sure to share it here. His inbox has to be flooded since that story broke. I'm not holding my breath.
    No problem. I emailed him too. Lol poor guy. AOL sends you enough spam/pr0n anyway.
    #Download Firefox# Playing: TF2
    [Main Rig]
    [EVGA P55 SLI] [i7 860 @ 3.6] [Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus] [8GB Corsair DDR3 1600]
    [Intel G2 80GB SSD] [MSI GTX260 OC] [NEC ea231wmi] [X-Fi > Z-Audio Lambda > Senn HD-580s]

[Server]
    [MSI K8N Neo4 SLI] [Opteron 175 @ 2.9] [TT Big Typhoon] [2GB Corsair DDR]

Originally posted by DrDeath
    Theres this Italian lady professor whos work is sounds produced in space.
    Thats where I got the harmonic resinence theroy.
    She says that our Galixy not the whole Universe produces a vibration that is recordable yearly.
    If I could remember her name I`d give it to you.

You don`t have to fold only in 2d .
    I should have stated that more clearly.
    You could bend space in a 3d matter like a worm hole .
    But I say lets take it one step further you bend the worm hole in a u shape .
    Next you bridge in a straight line the gap and now have a even shorter distance.
    You repeat this 2 or 3 more times and you have a very short distance.
    3. I've read up on Harmonic Resonance theory...it's actually very interesting. One thing that intrigues me is the possiblity of "strings" of harmonic resonanace in the Universe. If we learn to tap these strings and manipulate them....who knows what we might be capable of doing...

But, I still don't understand the "yearly" thing? Why can it only be done yearly? A "year" is Earth-based....the Universe doesn't follow that!

4. I concur with Blacktooth. You would need an enormous mass object to bend space-time like that easily. I don't think the "magnets" from Event Horizon would work very well.

I wonder how we would be capable of doing that without destroying our planet....
    [CPU]: Pentium IV 3.0c gHz[Case]: Lian Li PC60 USB [Power]: Thermaltake 430W TruPower[Motherboard]: Abit IS7[RAM]: OCZ PC3500 Dual Channel Kit(2X512)[Video Card]: ATI 9700 Pro All-In-Wonder[Storage]: 160 GB Western Digital w/8 MB Cache[Optical Storage:] 16X Pioneer DVD-ROM, LG 16X8X32[Sound Card]:Soundblaster Audigy 2 [Speakers]: Creative Inspire 5.1 5700 [Monitor]: Viewsonic PF790 19" Flat Screen CRT [Peripherals]: Logitech MX700, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite Pro, Logitech Rumblepad USB [OS]:Windows XP Pro

New thinking is needed to solve new problems. - Albert Einstein

You can bend space/time with huge, and I do mean huge electro-magnetic impulses. However this would inadvertently knock out all of the power in your hemisphere... not very practical.
    #Download Firefox# Playing: TF2
    [Main Rig]
    [EVGA P55 SLI] [i7 860 @ 3.6] [Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus] [8GB Corsair DDR3 1600]
    [Intel G2 80GB SSD] [MSI GTX260 OC] [NEC ea231wmi] [X-Fi > Z-Audio Lambda > Senn HD-580s]

[Server]
    [MSI K8N Neo4 SLI] [Opteron 175 @ 2.9] [TT Big Typhoon] [2GB Corsair DDR]

Originally posted by SlartyB
    The laws of physics are all consistent with "negative" time. By that, I mean they are reversible. The "direction" of time is arbitrary. In theory, there is no reason you couldn't run the entire universe "backward" - things would fall up and water would flow uphill. However, I think this breaks the laws of thermodynamics that state the over-all entropy of a closed system must increase with time.
    But isn't this law of thermodynamics based on a universe in which time goes forward? Logically I would assume that this law would be reversed in a backwards flowing universe, such that the entropy of a closed system must decrease with time. Just as in a universe in which time goes forward, objects are attracted to one another due to gravity, in a backwards flowing universe the objects would exert a force opposing each other due to gravity.

Mako Shark
    Yoda, I think the point there was that the MATH works fine both ways, but the SCIENCE doesn't.

Arrow Relativity: The Special and General Theory

Albert Einstein's Special and General Theories of Relativity

A great link my little brother found (he's a Physics major with focus on particle behavior).
    mellojoe
    Knight of the OC Crusades

--in the Lian Li A16--
    DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS
    Intel E7200 (2.53) @ 4.0 ghz
    G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15
    Corsair 750W
    evga 9800GTX+
    Lite-ON 20X DVD±RW DL

--watercooling--
    D-Tek Fuzion v2
    Swiftech MCP655
    2x120mm BIX GTX
    Swiftech MicroRes

__

Who would imagine that this simple law [constancy of the velocity of light] has plunged the conscientiously thoughtful physicist into the greatest intellectual difficulties?

-Albert
    Einstein
    mellojoe

--in the Lian Li A16--
    DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS
    Corsair 750W
    evga 9800GTX+
    Lite-ON 20X DVD±RW DL

--watercooling--
    D-Tek Fuzion v2
    Swiftech MCP655
    2x120mm BIX GTX
    Swiftech MicroRes

__

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this or not, but I came across this just now. I post it now, because the twin's paradox was discussed at one point in the thread.. It proves (mathetmatically) that there is in fact no paradox in the twin's paradox, and is in fact totally consistent with the theory of relativity:

http://www.pigsty.demon.co.uk/twins.html

Originally posted by Sparky_D
    3. I've read up on Harmonic Resonance theory...it's actually very interesting. One thing that intrigues me is the possiblity of "strings" of harmonic resonanace in the Universe. If we learn to tap these strings and manipulate them....who knows what we might be capable of doing...

But, I still don't understand the "yearly" thing? Why can it only be done yearly? A "year" is Earth-based....the Universe doesn't follow that!
    I haven't read the artcile(s) yet, so I'm not familiar with the theory, but off the top of my head:
    I wonder if it has something to do with the movement of the earth around the sun. The movement of the earth might disturb some sort of "solar winds" or other such miniscule particles. That disturbance (from far away) will actually come in "pules." Since "sound" is merely a wave-pattern disturbance....its possible that this is one of the causes of this sound. That would lend credence to the fact that the sound wave is produced every year. That would also mean that there are other sound waves produced by every planet. But, maybe we can't detect them because the sound-wave pattern would radiate outward. We might possibly pick up the pattern by the inner planets (mercury, venus) but not anything beyond us.

but, like i said, i did not read the article(s) and have no basis for any of this. its just some thoughts
    mellojoe

--in the Lian Li A16--
    DFI LanParty DK P35 T2RS
    Corsair 750W
    evga 9800GTX+
    Lite-ON 20X DVD±RW DL

--watercooling--
    D-Tek Fuzion v2
    Swiftech MCP655
    2x120mm BIX GTX
    Swiftech MicroRes

__

What happens when you reach the end of the universe?

by "end" I mean when you get to the edge of the universe.

What do you think would happen to a thing that tried to go "out" of the universe?
    Activation? What activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekkit (from ubuntu forums regarding 'goto' statement)
    Yep it sure does. So does crack cocaine. Existence is not a valid endorsement for being acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

Hammerhead Shark
    doesn't everyone wonder that the universe is infinite is it not?

Originally posted by clickx17
    doesn't everyone wonder that the universe is infinite is it not?
    Einstein did not. And he regretted it later.

When he formulated his theory of relativity, (and this is information from other peoples analysis. I don't know much about this personally.) Where was I? Ah, when Einstein formulated his theory of relativity, one of the implications was that the universe was constantly either expanding or contracting and he thought it to be such a ridiculous proposition that he introduced a factor which fudged the equations so that they said the universe was constant and stationary.

Years later it was proved that the universe is constantly expanding and Einstein said he regretted putting in that fudge factor in there. The currently accpeted theory is that the universe is constantly expanding, so presumably there is no end to the universe because as soon as you got to what you think is the end, it'd have expanded and you wouldn't be at the end... ever.

until it starts to contract and then it gets fun
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

LAMDA DIR (Captain)in the Cooler's Guild

BORN TO FOLD

Damn you Hillary Clinton. This is all your fault. Damn you straight to hell. I'm glad Bill cheated on you. He was a good man. You, ma'am, are a douche. - ImaNihilist

Tiger Shark
    Originally posted by raider1v1
    until it starts to contract and then it gets fun
    I don't think the universe will contract! It is expanding, and accelerating, or so I've heard in scientific american.

Hammerhead Shark
    Well you've got to wonder to whats out there and all the different solar systems...kinda mind boggling.