Physics - Page 20

Sharky Forums

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Physics

OT: Time Travel....Fact or fantasy??!

The topic of time travel has fascinated me for years...it all started by watching back to the future numerous times....so what do u guys think..is it possible?..if not now perhaps in the future??...i would surely like to undo some stupid mistakes that i made :P
    Amd Athlon 2400+ Tbred, 512 MB PC2100 CRUCIAL MEMORY, Asus A7V266-E Rev 1.07 , Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI Sound Card, Logitec Z640 Speakers, Ati Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB DDR, Enermax silver casing with spider side panel, Antec True 480watt blue PS, Samsung 52X cdrom, Lite on 48XCD-R/16X DVD ROM, Maxtor 120GB ATA133 8mb cache.
    ADVISE TO ALL IBM HD USERS: Please do not say that your hd is going strong, or your hd will be cursed and eventually die !!

Mako Shark
    No. It breaks Einstein's relativity.

Sushi
    Originally posted by russ_watters
    So what? Every scientific "theory" is not correct. Many "laws" have been proven to be wrong as technology and human kind advances. So the only conclusion you could come to is that time travel is not probable because it breaks Einstein's relativity model. But, all together possible.

Personally I don't think time travel is possible either. Time is based on a concept we as humans made...

Re: OT: Time Travel....Fact or fantasy??!

Originally posted by akbar
    The topic of time travel has fascinated me for years...it all started by watching back to the future numerous times....so what do u guys think..is it possible?..if not now perhaps in the future??...i would surely like to undo some stupid mistakes that i made :P
    i dont think anyone honestly knows. there are some theories that forbid time travel but really who knows for certain?

anyway there is a way to kind of travel to the future. just go near the speed of light. if you can go fast enough for say 1 second of your time to equal to 999 years on earth, go for 1 second and you could say you travelled to the year 3001 ad LOL
    Last edited by dighn; 05-29-2002 at 04:38 PM.

Hammerhead Shark
    How would you even travel back in time?

Originally posted by clickx17
    I seriously doubt you can. Unless "time" is a constantly shifting series of parallel universes, all static in their moment of existence.
    If I couldn't type drunk, I'd still be Expensive Sushi.

Know one will really know until we formulate a quantuum theory of gravity. Going back in time would create a lot of problems (Kill your grandfather and you wouldn't be born, so you couldn't kill your grandfather).
    Does Pavlov ring a bell?

Originally posted by elimc
    Know one will really know until we formulate a quantuum theory of gravity. Going back in time would create a lot of problems (Kill your grandfather and you wouldn't be born, so you couldn't kill your grandfather).
    why gravity?

Gravity is the only force we don't have a quantum theory for. Once we understand gravity, all the other theories should fit into place like a puzzle. Without gravity, we can only factor in time travel using the other 3 forces and so our equations couldn't take into account of the effects of quantum gravity.

You see, without knowledge of quantum gravity, there are too many variables in the time travel equations. Anything thought up now would be incomplete at best.
    Does Pavlov ring a bell?

Hammerhead Shark
    It doesn't seem possible.

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by clickx17
    I could see maybe the future, but I dont think you could travel back in time before the invention of the time machine.

I think it might be possible, but not in my lief time.

Person Without An Interesting Name
    Major Pwain of the Cooler's Guild

Reef Shark
    Originally posted by russ_watters
    to the contrary, it is based on einstein's relativity. As you approach the speed of light, time slows down until it would stop at lightspeed. So if you travelled 50 lightyears away from earth and then 50 lightyears back at the speed of light, 100 years would pass on earth while you wouldn't pass any time at all.

Originally posted by avatar4277

to the contrary, it is based on einstein's relativity. As you approach the speed of light, time slows down until it would stop at lightspeed. So if you travelled 50 lightyears away from earth and then 50 lightyears back at the speed of light, 100 years would pass on earth while you wouldn't pass any time at all.
    i think we all agree with that (maybe not the @ light speed part but that's beside the point.) i think mainly they are investigatng the possibility of travelling back in time

how that is not allowed by relativity i dont nkow

Expensive Sushi
    Originally posted by avatar4277

I think he was referring to the fact that although Einstein's theory of relativity allows different observers in different reference frames to measure a different time for the same event even to the extreme where they may disagree on the sequence of two events. For example: one observer may see event 1 happen and then event number 2 though another may see event 2 happen first. This only applies to events that are not caused by each other. For example, if event number 2 is caused by event number one it is impossible for any observer to see the effect (event 2) happen before the cause (event 1). Though this won't allow you to travel back in time, you can travel forward in a fashion that was already mentioned (By going real fast)

Catfish
    Originally posted by CadetLee

This is getting a bit too complex for me...

Has anybody actually managed to do some experiments with space-time stuff, or is this all hypothetical mathematical calculations?
    This is strange..but if everything starts distorting, what if logic/math itself distorts, so 2 + 2 != 4?
    i've heard of time experiments where they have 2 clocks set exactly the same, then send one to outer space, comes back, and its off from the other clock by a fraction of a second.

btw, i'm prety stoned , so this seems extra interesting!
    Last edited by chucko; 05-30-2002 at 03:44 AM.
    Tornado 1000 case (2x120mm)
    AMD XP 1800+\143fsb @1644Mhz
    AX-7 80mm Sunon 39CFM
    1GB PC2100 crucial DDR RAM
    Gainward TI4600 @325\693
    Maxtor 40gig 7200 ATA133
    MSI K7T266a pro2 (MS-6380 V2.0)
    Dell 17.9 inch viewable 1600x1200 @ 72Hz
    Logitech MX700!!
    Logitech Z560
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Pioneer SCSI DVD/CD-rom slotload