New to C++, any good books out there?

Sharky Forums

Thread: New to C++, any good books out there?

New to C++, any good books out there?

Hey there, I know this has probably been asked before alot, but I did a search and didn't come out with anything I wanted. Well, a little history about me. I'm in high school, junior year, and for about the last 2 years I've been mostly focused primarly on the hardware end of PCs, having little concern about software. Well, I just changed my mind, and I'm going to go software based, and try to learn C++ for starters. I already signed up for a C++ class, but that doesn't start until Aug. of this year, so I wanted to get some basics in before the class starts. Any books you guys might recommend reading? I would rather have an easy to read book, sort of for begginners, however I don't want it to skip anything if possible. I know some HTML, that's basically my background in programmming. Thanks for any tips, also, what else should I look into? I already purchased Linux RedHat Personal Ed. from newegg, so I can learn my way around that, any suggestions? Again, thanks!
    XPS 400, quit the comp. scene. My new toy:

2004 GMC Sierra SLT
    Z71
    6" lift coming very soon

I am also learning C++. I have some experience with C, BASIC and various web programming languages, so we are approaching it from a slightly different background though.

IMHO the best book I could find was "The C++ Programming Language Special Edition" by Bjarne Stroustrup. It's big, heavy, and crammed full of information. It's not a beginners book, by any means, but so far I am totally happy with my choice.

Although I can't recommend an entry level C++ book, IMHO you can learn all of the basics on any number of websites on the 'Net. Here are a couple I have used. There are certainly more, just try a google.com search for c++ programming tutorials:

Stuff and stuff

The most comprehensive and easy to use introduction to C++ is Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ book from Wrox Publishing. I learned previous to finding this book and was downright amazed at its simplicity. Good luck and enjoy!
    ~ And that is my humble opinion.

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President. Now I'm beginning to believe it. - Clarence Darrow

The greatness of a woman’s power is measured in the size and amount of the balls she clutches in hand. -Nephalim

"Tink"
    1700+ XP on A7N8X, 768MB PC2700 DDRRAM, Samsung 19" 900IFT, Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO, SB Live! MP3+, 42.9GB IBM HDD, Plexwriter 8/4/32, 3C905CTXM NIC

"Hermes"
    Dell Inspiron 8200, 1.7 GHz P4, 512MB DDRRAM, 30GB HDD, DVDROM, Geforce4 Go 64MB

Tiger Shark
    Stroustrup is the standard, but a bit tough for beginners. The Complete C++ Reference is, obviously, mainly a reference. However, it can be learned from, especially when used with another book.
    System specs:

| Core i5 750 | GA-P55A-UD3 | 4.0 GB G.skill DDR3 1600 | eVGA 470 GTX |
    | Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD | WD 5000AAKS | Lian Li PC-7FN | Corsair TX750W |
    | Windows 7 Home 64-bit |

I'm a junior Computer Science Student at Ball State University. For our first class in programming, we use a book called "Problem Solving, Abstraction, Design Using C++" by Frank L. Friedman and Elliot B. Koffman

Heres the link to the class that I had. The Syllabus follows the book fairly well and it breaks everything down and explains it really well:

http://www.cs.bsu.edu/homepages/tank...s120/fall2002/

The projects and labs we did for the class are also there, if you'd like to use those for some practice.

The book will take you through data types, operators, logical operators, and structures.

The follow up to the first book that we use for the second semester of C++ is called "Data Structures and Other Objects Using C++" by Michael Main and Walter Savitch. This book takes you through the rest of what you need. You should be able to find both on amazon.com or sites of the like.

I highly recommend both of these. I don't think they would have been over my head when I was in high school as long as you stick with it and have the desire to learn. If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot me an email.

~Posidon

Reef Shark
    Call me conventional, but I really like Deitel and Deitel's C++ How to Program. It's what I learned from.

Just bought it real cheap off half.com, a copy for my wife.

-

Originally posted by god_shiva
    Call me conventional, but I really like Deitel and Deitel's C++ How to Program. It's what I learned from.

-
    that is what I have.. and their java one .. very easy to read and comprehend

If you'll be using a linux os to learn c/c++ try and pick up a book targetted at programming in linux or maybe a more simple route, find a hello world program on the net using iostream.h and make sure it compiles properly in the default compiler. Some newer versions of gcc throw out warnings that iostream is antiquated and won't compile it :\ I would guess it's possible to find a linux compiler that will though.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

man talk about Kharma, I came here to ask just this specific question.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    Originally posted by god_shiva

-
    I used that book as well, They know programming books.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

I just started c++ a few weeks ago. I'm also using the Deitel & Deitel. It is a good book for beginners. It starts very basic.

I recommend Deitel & Deitel (C++ How to Program) as well. It contains everything in the C++ standard, and is also good for a beginner. My c++ prof. said this is the best learning book he has seen.

The Stroustroup (sp?) book is, of course, essential for someone who will be doing c++ for a long time (Because it is written by the C++ God himself). But I am in the 3rd level c++ course at virginia tech and he says we will not be ready for that book until the end of the semester.

Tiger Shark
    I would have to go with The Waite Group's C++ Primer Plus, you can also get the Object Oriented Programming...pretty helpful with large programs.
    [AMD USER]

Alpha Dir Mo of the Coolers Guild
    Mo of the SharkyForums
    Mo21 of the VRforums
    Mo of the Rojak Pot
    [OC Crusader]
    [3d Mark Team!]

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/124966/sig2.jpg

Thanks guys, I bought several books you guys recommended, I picked them up cheap at www.computerbooksdirect.com if anyone's interested. I hope to get a grasp of C++, I also signed up for Computer Science (C++/Java) for next year in high school, hope this helps me out along the way. I also got into networking protocols, now to continue to try and grasp the concept of TCP/IP .

Thanks again!
    XPS 400, quit the comp. scene. My new toy:

2004 GMC Sierra SLT
    Z71
    6" lift coming very soon