Ai

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ai

Ai

will we ever see a time when AI will become reality. What benefits could the human race get from it. I still believe that in the end we will just have to connect a brain into a circuit....hmmmmmm
    Last edited by THE SHADOW; 04-14-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Hammerhead Shark EverlastingGod's Avatar
    Yes
    Stay cool
    and be somebody's fool this year

Tiger Shark
    No
    AMD AthlonXP 2600+ Thoroughbred B @ 200x10.5
    Shuttle AN35N nForce2 Ultra 400
    2x512MB Kingston PC3200 (3-3-3)
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    40GB WD ATA-100 8MB cache
    Creative 12X DVD Drive
    Memorex 52X CD-RW
    Running Windows XP Pro

Tiger Shark
    Those are the two possible answers to that question. Pick the one you like and chances are 50/50 that you're right.
    AMD AthlonXP 2600+ Thoroughbred B @ 200x10.5
    Shuttle AN35N nForce2 Ultra 400
    2x512MB Kingston PC3200 (3-3-3)
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    40GB WD ATA-100 8MB cache
    Creative 12X DVD Drive
    Memorex 52X CD-RW
    Running Windows XP Pro

Re: Ai

Originally posted by THE SHADOW
    will we ever see a time when AI will become reality. What benefits could the human race get from it. I still believe that in the end we will just have to connect a brain into a circuit....hmmmmmm
    Absolutely but it won't be from something we completely design. Much of the design will be done by machines that 'self-evolve'. The end design will be far too complex for us to completely understand how it works. The machine will determine that we are just parasites and try to eliminate us from the Earth. We will darken the skies to starve them from their only power source. Human beings will then be grown and harvested like crops for our bodies to be used as heat sources in power generating plants.

You know the rest...
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Hammerhead Shark EverlastingGod's Avatar

Re: Re: Ai

Originally posted by Adisharr

Absolutely but it won't be from something we completely design. Much of the design will be done by machines that 'self-evolve'. The end design will be far too complex for us to completely understand how it works. The machine will determine that we are just parasites and try to eliminate us from the Earth. We will darken the skies to starve them from their only power source. Human beings will then be grown and harvested like crops for our bodies to be used as heat sources in power generating plants.

You know the rest...
    GLITCHES IN THE MATRIX . . . AND HOW TO FIX THEM by Peter B. Lloyd

Stay cool
    and be somebody's fool this year

Tiger Shark
    Its life Jim, but not as we know it...
    "I am neither Goku nor Vegita, I am the instrument of your destruction!" --Gogita

1985......................................................1995......................................2005?
    Commodore............................................Intel.. .....................................Linux running on a Texas Instruments 486 Laptop? lol!
    Amiga 1000@7Mhz...................................Pentium75@75Mhz
    2mb RAM onboard
    expandable to 8mb Fastram......................8mb EDO RAM
    OCS custom chipset..................................512K S3 Video Card
    capable of 4096colors@640x480.................VGA/256colors@640x480
    and RF/TV out..........................................Yeah right!
    16bit 4-channel stereo..............................ISA Vibra16
    2 x 880k 3.5" floppy.................................1.44mb 3.5" floppy
    later purchased 50mb RAMdrive.................512 mb hd
    14"Phillips monitor/inbuilt speakers............14"Goldstar monitor
    32bit AmigaOS 1.0...................................16bit Windows 3.1
    Pre-emptive multitasking
    Low overhead/small footprint OS................Multi what? Bloatware showing already

Seamless/responsive operation of UI.........Try formatting a disk and opening a file to see what happens

I ask you what it means for something to possess 'artificial intelligence.' If you say something along the lines of 'the ability to behave intelligently', well then we've had AI, in some form or other, for quite a while. It seems to me that when people say "AI", they have this vision in their heads of what Hollywood has claimed AI to be, which isn't what it is. Hollywood seems to think that 'intelligence' implies 'consciousness', which machines simply don't possess, and which I think they never will (nor can they) possess. I think anyone who strives for that Hollywood standard is on a wild goose chase. Then again, lots of other things that people said were "impossible" have come about, so who knows.
    <wik> /bin/finger that girl in the back row of machines

Question

Why can't machines have consciousness? Theoretically we can use a quantum computer to simulate the universe. So it is possible to build a quantum computer to completely simulate a human brain. Does such quantum computer has consciousness?
    Last edited by pcchen; 04-22-2003 at 05:43 AM.

Like I said, things that people used to say were impossible have come about, so I don't want to say that's never ever ever going to happen (though it may have sounded that way in my earlier post), but I don't think that we as human beings really even know what it means to be conscious, you could use some canonical definition of that word, but that doesn't really say how to devise a conscious being.
    <wik> /bin/finger that girl in the back row of machines

Originally posted by Malone
    No
    Right. In the end we will have to connect a HUMAN brain to a....

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    Why can't a machine have consciousness? A human brain is NOTHING MORE than a very very complex set of interconnecting neurons + chemicals to transfer outside and internal stimulus to the neurons. Now, take a computer that builds itself like the brain, spontaneously making new connections and building different data paths. How would this be any different from a human brain? It wouldn't. Yes, we're a VERY long time away from this kind of thing, but it is destined to happen.

People said a lot of things are impossible, yet they have come to pass. All it takes is one man who designs something revolutionary.

Just look at my quote in my sig.

That was from Stephen Hawking. I have to say I won't disagree with him.
    Lian Li PC-65|Vantec Nexus|Ultra Xconnect Power Supply
    Epox 8RDA+|XP 2500|SLK-900U|92mm Stealth|512mb Corsair XMS PC3200C2|ATI Radeon 9600PRO
    Samsung 16X DVD|Lite-on 52*24*52 CD-RW|NEC ND-2500A|Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60gb
    Klipsch ProMedia 5.1|Audigy 2|Sennheiser HD 497
    NEC 19" FE991SB-BK

Alienware Sentia (lappy)

Intel® Pentium® M 725 1.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache 400MHZ FSB | Intel® 855GME+ICH4M | Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Network Connection | 512MB DDR PC-2700 | Hitachi 40GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache | 12.1" Wide-XGA 1280x800 LCD | Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 |Sound Blaster Pro Compatible 5.1 Digital Audio | 6X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW

Reef Shark
    Machines will force people out of work long before they can think for themselves.

It's already happening. How long before a machine can make a McDonalds burger, better and quicker than some persopn at minimum wage?

-Luc (Alex)

Re: Re: Re: Ai

Wow, I have just read through a tiny bit (relatively) of that discussion following the paper, and I have to say that is pretty intense stuff. It can defintely kill time. That is definitely something that I would have to set out about 5 hours for to actually read and think about. Nice link.
    Pyro's Updated 3dmark01/03 Guide
    "It takes time and study to undo the effects of evolutionary teachings"

|:~T-Bred B~:| |:~nForce2~:| |:~GF4 Ti4600~:|