The Programming Language of Hackers?

Sharky Forums

Thread: The Programming Language of Hackers?

The Programming Language of Hackers?

I was talking to a teacher who asked me what programming language hackers use. The only two I could think of is Pearl and C++? Is there any others out there? Thanks

Hammerhead Shark
    As many as possible.

I took a class once, and on the first day we went around the room and people said what programming languages they used/knew. When I said perl, the teacher laughed and said "perl is for hackers. are you a hacker?", then again that teacher was an idiot...
    <wik> /bin/finger that girl in the back row of machines

Originally posted by cjohnson
    I took a class once, and on the first day we went around the room and people said what programming languages they used/knew. When I said perl, the teacher laughed and said "perl is for hackers. are you a hacker?", then again that teacher was an idiot...
    Truly, he must not know much about the subject. Although I figure that in most cases, people confuse the different meanings of the word hacker so it's not their stupidity but ignorance. Back to the topic, I suppose most hackers try to learn as many languages as possible, but if you're talking elitist types I'd have to say C++ or assembly or any other suitably complex language.

Lol... what language do hackers use? Is this the history teacher or are they smoking something?

If said teacher intended to say script kiddies/malicious hackers/crackers/phreakers/etc. I would say assembly, C/C++, and various scripting languages, most with VBScript, JScript, Perl and ASP near the top of the list.

If they meant hacker as in Richard Stallman or Eric Raymond, I would say any and all languages that are required of them to get the job done.
    Stuff and stuff

I would say most of todays hackers use a majority of scripting languages over real programming languages. Sure, most viruses are going to be C++ and trojan horses are going to be in C or C++, but most of hacking is repetative tasks geared well towards many scripting languages including those mentioned by tekime.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

Originally posted by cjohnson
    but then again... I once heard FLASH was also the language of hackers

anyway back on topic I agree with most of you, there's no such thing as a "hacker's language", most of them real hackers learn as much languages as possible, and most of their work was done in C or assembler (or any other kind of low level language). Nowadays the trend is going into asp and other vbscripts kind of thingies.

If you asked Kevin Mitnick what language he's used the most for "hacking," he would probably say English.

Originally posted by Grizzly
    If you asked Kevin Mitnick what language he's used the most for "hacking," he would probably say English.
    Heh, very good point!
    Stuff and stuff

Assembly is very popular for the hacking community.