assemblers

Sharky Forums

Thread: assemblers

assemblers

I'm considering taking this class online since the day class doesn't really fit my schedule. Do you think I'll be ok taking it online? How challenging is the course?

Thanks

Like most things, part of the "classroom experience" will probably get lost if you take it online. The class I took in assembly wasn't bad, and as long as you have somewhere you can ask questions and get good answers (i.e., you can email/call the person teaching the course) it shouldn't be too bad.

PS-
    Assembly is fun
    <wik> /bin/finger that girl in the back row of machines

There is still an online instructor, but of course if you have questions they don't typically get answered for a couple day. I've taken one online class (multimedia design) and the instruction and information available was horrible. I just hate to pay high costs for classes and have to teach myself everything. It just doesn't seem right. The problem is that it's a pain to get out of work for an hour and a half for a class. It CAN be done, but I'd prefer not too.

As far as assembly being fun, I guess only time w ill tell

From my experience, college courses are only useful in the sense that they can teach you how to *think* like a programmer, and you can pick up most of the main concepts of programming in general. Every college course I ever took that focused solely on one language, (such as Assembly), I found way too basic, and not worth my time. Usually they only got my appetite wet to go off and actually *learn* the language on my own.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you already have a good programming foundation (which I believe you do puff_1), I wouldn't sweat this Assembly course. I'd blow it off and learn it on my own time if it's really cramping your schedule. You'll learn more effeciently on your own than having to wait for your slow-minded class mates

Well, Assmbler usually separates the real programmers from the "also-rans". Its one of the harder languages to learn and unless you've already a very good grasp of programming in general, I'd avoid taking it "online".
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Well, I guess I should have expected it, but I'm being pulled in two different directions here. As far as my programming knowledge and experience, I've only gone as far as C++ and SQL. I understand all the concepts and didn't really have much trouble with either, but I'm still having trouble making my final decision here. I may just take a chance and go for the online class. One of the guys that I've been taking classes with is taking it online right now, but I can't get too much out of him because the class just started. I guess I can still used my resources and ask questions where needed.

I'm thinking I may just go for the online class so I don't affect my work schedule.