Hard Drive Clicking

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Clicking

Hard Drive Clicking

My hard drive (WD 120 SE) just started clicking all of a sudden, it used to not do this. Its not a constant click, just every once in a while. What could this mean?
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ || DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D || 2gb OCZ PC3200 || ATi Radeon X1900XT || Western Digital 74gb Raptor || Dell 2001fp || Seasonic S12 600W

hmm anything (never had ths happend to my wd.. yet) , maybe it is about to die... do some backups asap. sometimes when drives get older they become less silent too. But that wd shouldn't be that old. just make sure you back up. Been doing anything that involves more IO intensive stuff lately? do a nice defrag too.
    Last edited by pudad; 07-02-2003 at 09:55 AM.

Grr, that would suck if its about to die, already out $300 , and the only thing i've been runnin lately is IE...
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ || DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D || 2gb OCZ PC3200 || ATi Radeon X1900XT || Western Digital 74gb Raptor || Dell 2001fp || Seasonic S12 600W

it is a fairly new drive, just back your stuff up and rma it if it gets worse.

Yeah, back everything up quick. Drives usually get noisy before they choke to death. Also, if you're using the newest nForce platform driver and XP, and the sound only comes about when you go to shutdown, it could be the heads relocating because IIRC the newest platform drivers reposition the heads to avoid corruption before shutdown.
    Stuff and stuff

Yup, backup everything ASAP. That's what I did as soon as I heard my IBM make the "click of death".
    Spoiler

Great White Shark
    a sector mark has gone missing. the clicking you hear is the drive trying to recalibrate itself to compensate for the missing sector mark. It won't get better. It will only get worse. Backup and replace your drive ASAP.

Its wierd, the drive stopped clicking after a reboot. Still think its gonna die?

Texan Dragon Moderator Galen of Edgewood's Avatar
    Originally posted by Saffire
    Its wierd, the drive stopped clicking after a reboot. Still think its gonna die?
    Still backup your data. Even if it doesn't die on you, you need to do it.
    Dragon of the OC Crusaders

Break the rules and you're snack food for this dragon...

I had three IBM drives clicking. One died within a couple weeks of the clicking beginning. The other two have been clicking for over a year now. Needless to say, I haven't kept any important data on them in all this time. I am getting so sick of waiting for them to die that I think I will just replace them and give them to my brother to worry about.
    Currently Playing: DOTA 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown

no just burn them, they are more trouble than they are worth!!!

My drive makes some horrible churning noises when its in desperate need of a defrag.

i have a harddrive (100gig WD) once in a few minutes it gives a loud (well not soo loud) "klak" sound..

while FTP'n for example you can perfectly see that it pauzes for a sec and after the klak sound, it continues....

vaary stranggeee .i think it's near it's forking end.
    My MAxtor 120gig died at 6months age also..
    it's becoming expensive over here

this is why you don't buy sh1tty drives, and you backup all the time.

Originally posted by pudad
    this is why you don't buy sh1tty drives, and you backup all the time.
    Mny would say that the WD SE is not a shitty drive