Graphics Problems...Any suggestions?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Problems...Any suggestions?

Hybrid View

Graphics Problems...Any suggestions?

I have been building a new system and have been plagued by defective parts. But I finally managed to get good hardware...or so I think.

The system:

Athlon 2600+ 333 model
    Asus A7N8XDeluxe
    Corsair TWINX matched DDR 333
    430 watt PSU
    Radeon 9700 PRO
    120GIG Maxtor drive ATA drive
    Windows XP Pro

I keep having graphical problems when playing anything 3D. It plays fine for a minute or two, then I get minor graphics glitches such as specs of odd colors dotting the landscape. Next, the screen looks like broken glass or a shattered laptop screen. When I quit back to Windows, the screen is still distorted, but this time with a static like view.

I have installed the latest Catalyst drivers, patched Windows with everything but SP1. I also put twin 60MM fans overtop the video card. It helped a little bit. But the cards fan is running.

I also tried raising the voltage core of the card up to 1.7 but that didn't do anything.

The card is an OEM Radeon 9700PRO

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

Are you overclocking anything in your system?
    The artifacts you describe sound like it's caused by a memory issue.
    If youre not overclocking, Id say that your video card is defective

-Ryan

Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 3.2GHz (8x400)
    2GB Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2 (800MHz)
    Asus P5B (802 BIOS)
    Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 256MB
    Thermaltake ToughPower 700W PSU

Nothing is being overclocked. I didn't build this one to do that. It's for my father just to play games.

I hope its not ANOTHER bad card. I already returned one. This is driving me insane.

Maybe u need some better case cooling? Try running the comp with the side off and a house fan blowing in on it to see if it is a heat issue. I think someone else had a heat related problem with a 9700 pro. Worth a try.

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by PriMaTe
    Maybe u need some better case cooling? Try running the comp with the side off and a house fan blowing in on it to see if it is a heat issue.
    Thats the quick and easy way to diagnose heat problems.

Also, how hot is it in the room the computer is in? Some people will try to run a computer in a room with no A/C where its 80-85F. Not a good idea unless you have OUTSTANDING cooling.
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net

What brand is your power supply? I'd make sure that it's a good quality name brand (like Antec and Enermax)...

You mention that this is the second video card you have had trouble with, is it the same problem?

The problems you descrived are very consistent with a card that is overclocked or overheating. This wouldn't be the first time I have seen people complain of overheating cards, even on a new product. You primarily see this is lower end OEM stuff, like Power Color and FIC based cards.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Originally posted by Un4given
    The problems you descrived are very consistent with a card that is overclocked or overheating. This wouldn't be the first time I have seen people complain of overheating cards, even on a new product. You primarily see this is lower end OEM stuff, like Power Color and FIC based cards.
    He has a Radion 9700 Pro. Would you consider that in the "lower end OEM stuff like Power Color and FIC based cards?" Aren't all the cards based on the ATI referance setup. I can't imagine that anyone would reduce the cooling on a $300.00+ card can you?

There is a good chance its a heating problem. Initially it was setup so that the card itself cooled itself. The problems happened almost immediatly. I then put twin 60MM fans blowing on the card (one of the old card coolers). It just delayed the the process of the graphics deformation for a little bit. Gained about 1 minutes of play before problems. I rewired the system to make sure the air flow was good. It's a Lian Li case. No change in up time.

The card is an ATI Whitebox OEM card.

The room its in runs about 80 degrees at times due to the fact there are several computers in there.

The CPU temp is on the high side a bit. It's up to 51C under heavy load. But it never goes above.

The Power supply is an Enermax unit. 430 Watt.

I am beginning to think it is the heat. If it is, what options do i have? Is the card defective if it can't maintain its own heat disapation?

Thanks,

Chris

My 1600+ @ 1.6 GHz runs at about 50 to 55 C (at full load) but gets cooler if the AC brings the ambient temp from 80F (current) to 75F by 3 to 4 C! So yeah... if you can, either 1) make the AC run cooler! or 2) open the case side and let it vent the heat that way (I am currently like that). My 9700 np is quite hot as it is so if the heat gets trapped, man... that will do it. You could try to improve the air flow more... but also you could look at 1) getting better GPU cooler or 2) Getting a PCI slot fan (the kind that takes a PCI slot and is centrifugal).

My 2 cents ends here... Good luck...

Originally posted by Fiero

I am beginning to think it is the heat. If it is, what options do i have? Is the card defective if it can't maintain its own heat disapation?

Thanks,

Chris
    You shouldn't need to do anything to have the video card work. Install any other video card and the drivers for it and see if it works. If it does you have another bad video card.

Mako Shark
    The room its in runs about 80 degrees at times due to the fact there are several computers in there.
    Too hot.
    No. Though you would hope they would provide a cushion, they certainly aren't required to. 80F is too hot for a room temperature for a computer. My old Voodoo Banshee uesd to overheat if my room (college dorm) got above about 78F.

You can compensate by increasing the cooling to the case (more case fans) but there is only so much you can do.
    You shouldn't need to do anything to have the video card work. Install any other video card and the drivers for it and see if it works. If it does you have another bad video card.
    Mechanic, I really think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one. It looks like a classic case of overheating.
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net

And the fun continues...

I took a MASSIVE floor fan, opened the side of the case, and turned it on high. I started the game and as soon as it went into the 3D mode, it died again. It was instantainious this time. I turned the fan off, and it would run for a while before crashing. I also tried the fan on low, and it ran exactly the same.

I also decided to try reinstalling the drivers. Interesting thing happenned.

Windows found the card...TWICE! It lists it as both a primary and secondary. Is that normal for a Radeon?

Goldfish
    I think that is normal because that card supports two outputs.

I'm having the same problem, did you ever resolve it?