Dual Display Myths?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Dual Display Myths?

Tiger Shark

Dual Display Myths?

Guys here is the deal. I have a Radeon 9500 Pro. it has dual head capabilities. Now i have little or no 3d acceleration in my secondary viewport. And i also noticed that my Device manager lists a primary and secondary Display adapter, one is running in pci mode (the secondary adapter). I am assuming this is the dual head function of my radeon right? what i want to know is why is it performing poorly? i have seen PCI 16mb tnt cards do better ( i have one). if this is a 128meg card, and a part of it is functioning in pci mode, shouldnt this be better than if not comparable to a PCI graphics card? This is a problem for me because i am doing CAD and if I extend 3dSmax to my secondary monitor things get really slow really fast. Can i switch this to D3d mode or improve the performance in any way? This will become an even bigger issue later on when i try to Run UT2003 in widescreen mode. Is my card defective? can anyone help me with this? Also does anyone know how to configure UT2003 for dual displays? i heard it can be done and saw some screens on the matrox website. thanks guys.

Reef Shark
    I wouldn't have thought that a dual head single card would look to Windows like two cards - although my experience has been exclusively with nVidia cards.

I am running dual head on a GF4 and I see a single card with two monitors dropping off it in Windows XP. I did have to ensure that my drivers supported a new Microsoft display API - but that was more to do with DVD playback on my second screen (it was black before the upgrade) rather than 3D Games.

I've read somewhere that the Matrix dual head setup is significantly different to how other manufacturers do it, such that if you saw screen shots of UT2003 on a Matrox dual head then you cannot assume that you can do the same on an nVidia or an ATI card.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
    Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2GB Kingston DDR400 (3-3-3)
    2x XFX 7800GTX (SLI) | 20.1" GNR TS2000H | 17" AOC LM720
    (4xSATA) 1.2 TB | Pioneer DVD+-RW DL | Pioneer DVD+-RW
    SB Audigy2 Platinum Ex | Logitech X-530 5.1
    Logitech diNovo Bluetooth desktop | ThermalTake Xaser III V2000+, Enermax 600W