0 0%
  • College Linux

1 5.88%
  • Vector Linux

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Linux Distro do you use?

What Linux Distro do you use?

I thought i'd be kind of interesting to see which distro's people actually use most.
    Now for some shameless self promotion:
    www.noo-paala-films.tk [seriously, its good]

Red Hat, because that's what our customers use.

No matter how fun/easy other distributions are, Red Hat is the choice for businesses, so that's what I need to use.

Open Source is free like a puppy is free.

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Understanding Evolution

um, free bsd and gnu/hurd are not linux distros!

BSD is a project that started @ Berkley w/ simillar goals to gnu (making a open free version of unix). bsd is an entire system, everything is done by a team (freebsd, netbsd, openbsd). Gnu is another project, they wanterd to make an entire system too, but linus came around and wrote the linux kernel and used it with the gnu system. This is a GNU/Linux system. Linux is just the kernel. GNU/HURD is what gnu intended, but they were a little slow w/ their kernel comming out (I think only recently they have had a working kernel). o linus wrote the kernel, and gnu/linux just caught on. I doubt anyone really uses hurd though. linux just works so great.

Anyways, change your poll from "linux distro" to "flavor of UNIX" and you will be more correct.

I use gentoo linux because it is easy to configure, optimise , and install/ uninstall packages. I really appreciate the optimisations since I run a P4 which heavily relies on software optimization.

Other distros I like are:

Slackware

and

Redhat

Mandrake is good for beginers but too bloated for me. If I don't have time for installing gentoo, I'll install redhat or slackware w/ fluxbox (no kde).

Oh yeah, a really cool distro that has come around is knoppix. This thing totally boots off a live cd and has everything, no installtion require. A really handy little bot cd to have around incase you are around a whole bunch of windoze boxes, or need to do some system recovery.
    Last edited by pudad; 08-11-2003 at 05:18 PM.

redhat just to have some kind of standardization. i've used mandrake in the past, but it seemed to be plauged with little things that annoyed me.

Lycoris... so similar to XP it's scary, and Mandrake. Wanna try Gentoo 1.4 but I'm too stupid.
    Fold for a cure...
    M@dtown Folders
    Team #11354
    Sharky Forums
    Team #34149

Or click to end hunger...

Originally posted by Hans Moleman
    Lycoris... so similar to XP it's scary, and Mandrake. Wanna try Gentoo 1.4 but I'm too stupid.
    lol, gentoo is probably one of the easier geek distros. It is very well documented.

Originally posted by pudad

lol, gentoo is probably one of the easier geek distros. It is very well documented.
    Is it? I'm a Linux noob and at the LinuxISO forums people say the install can be a pain in the arse. I read the install instructions and was overwhelmed.
    Last edited by Hans Moleman; 08-11-2003 at 10:05 PM.
    Fold for a cure...
    M@dtown Folders
    Team #11354
    Sharky Forums
    Team #34149

Or click to end hunger...

nah it isn't hard, it just takes a long time.

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    I prefer Slackware all the way!!!! The best IMO!

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

Gentoo gets points for being the "cool" distro, but my slackware is so entrenched I dont' want to have to reinstall. I'm trying to figure out a way to put portage on it though

I thought I was the only one who used Vector.

Vector = Slackware with an easy installation. What more could you want? (ok, maybe Gentoo with an easy installation)

Anything's Hot Swappable if you're fast enough.

Owner of zeroBel.com.

[ My rig ]
    24/7: 260FSBx9.5 CPU Interface Enabled 1:1 2-2-2-11 (2.0v VDD, 3.4v Vdimm)

NF7-S rev2.0 C1 d10 / 2500+ AQXEA SPMW "9" "27" / 256mb KHX3200 (BH-5) + 2x256mb Corsair 3200LL (also BH-5) / 80gb/7200/2mb IBM Deskstar / 80gb/7200/8mb Seagate SATA / ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 / 22" NEC FP2141-BK / Sennheiser HD570

Sharky Extreme 3DMark Team

Official member of the Big_Mac-is-generous club!

Originally posted by Remington
    Gentoo gets points for being the "cool" distro, but my slackware is so entrenched I dont' want to have to reinstall. I'm trying to figure out a way to put portage on it though
    yes, I know someone did it with redhat. go ask around on gentoo forums, I think there maybe a document on it.

Originally posted by xDUCK
    I thought I was the only one who used Vector.

Vector = Slackware with an easy installation. What more could you want? (ok, maybe Gentoo with an easy installation)
    actually, now that the official 1.4 release is out, the install should be easier. I am thinking everything up to stage3 is cpu optimized w/ the cpu specific isos.

Originally posted by Remington
    I dunno, Slackware just doesn't do it for me. It is kinda boring. portage is really fun. If you can get it working in slack, then that would be great.
    Last edited by pudad; 08-11-2003 at 11:07 PM.

Catfish
    Has anyone used JAMD? I heard some people say that it is better than Red Hat, which I am using now.
    ~The black wind howls..~
    My c0mp:
    -AMD Athlon XP1800
    -SK6 w/ Delta 60mm
    -Shuttle AK31 (kt266a)
    -512mb CRUCIAL PC2100
    -ATi Radeon8500 retail
    -40 gig IBM 60GXP
    -Plextor 16/10/40A
    -Pioneer 106S DVD-rom
    -Game Theater XP
    -Sony MDR-V6