For those getting the RPC shutdown error, here is your answer,& msblast.exe

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those getting the RPC shutdown error, here is your answer,& msblast.exe

For those getting the RPC shutdown error, here is your answer.

This has been know about for awhile anyway. If you want to see what it is about, here is a link.

http://www.astalavista.com/library/a...ng_Exploit.pdf

If you don't already have a firewall installed on your system, get one. Even if you have one in a router, you may still want to get ZA or another similar software firewall, just to be safe.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

I'm bumping this back to the top because I know there are already 4 or 5 threads regarding this problem.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

DOWNLOAD THIS FILE IMMEDIATELY! people can access your computer and cause many things to happen. this file should take care of it. getting a hardware firewall is the best solution...this file takes care of your needs though

http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...displaylang=en
    Last edited by bromide; 08-11-2003 at 04:51 PM.

Expensive Sushi
    Originally posted by bromide
    DOWNLOAD THIS FILE IMMEDIATELY! people can access your computer and cause many things to happen. this file should take care of it. getting a hardware firewall is the best solution...this file takes care of your needs though

I have a hardware firewall, my router. I had the problem too.

try downloading that file...check to see if you left any ports open. especially your TELNET port. that is what this is going through. GOOD LUCK!

Expensive Sushi
    I installed ZA, installed the patch, installed all windows updates, seems fixed. Someone else posted they installed the patch first and it didnt work.

Tiger Shark
    if you are getting shutdowns before you can finish a download, enable the windows firewall before starting the download. The patch does seem to require SP1. Correct me if I am wrong
    3D Mark Team (Too Lazy For HTML!) - http://www.irydium.net/3dmark

i dont think it does require SP1(not 100% sure though)...but if you dont have sp1 you should get it!

btw- that patch is for XP

Expensive Sushi
    Is it possible to download this in safe mode?

Holy mother of Lord, thanks for this!!!... I didn't have SP1, and mine was restarting everytime the thing booted up. A few days ago, it was doing it every so often, but not everytime the computer booted up.

I tried formatting my hard drive, using a different one, and it STILL did it! Ha, go figure. Glad I came back here to find the patch! Worked like a charm.

If you've ran Windows Update yesterday or the day before that patch is already on . . .
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ASUS P6X58D-E | 3 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 2000 6-9-6-24 | EVGA GTX 580 DS SC | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD | WD VelociRaptor | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200W | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Hate using Software Firewalls, they slow net access down, seriously...**** h4x0rs. Got ZA3 up'n'running, man, I feel like i've just put kevlar on my internet connection.

Killing What's Already There

I tried that update earlier when I was having trouble and it didnt seem to do anything for me :-/ If you already have it, then maybe this will help.

A friend told me to try this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download this: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You want to make sure that system restore is off when you run stinger

And, while the timer is up go into a dos prompt, or run cmd.exe type shutdown -a it'll shutdown the timer

Also, you want to shut down using ctrl alt delete msblast.exe

After that go to the control panel then into the administrative tools and select services. Scroll down to Remote procedure call and double click it, hit the recovery tab
    and put take no action on the first, second and third failure.

Also, I believe that it has something with Msblast.exe in your registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run remove the key about msblast.exe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was lucky and all I had to do was run the Stinger and I am okay (I think) but for those who are having more trouble, try the rest (although I don't think you'll have to). And anyone else who is having trouble with worms or viruses try that stinger, it seems to work quite well for so little effort into getting it. Hopefully that might give another solution to killing it so then that patch can be effective. Goodluck
    Last edited by gateway; 08-12-2003 at 02:24 AM.
    [SGC Moderate Member]

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer..."

[Member of [PBLC]]

"We believe if you can hack into your registry to change something, you should!"
    - The Screen Savers

www.sarc.com has a utility called FixBlast which does everything for you. You have to disable system restore, yeah, but then you run it, it scans all your files and kills msblast.

Re: Killing What's Already There

Originally posted by gateway
    I tried that update earlier when I was having trouble and it didnt seem to do anything for me :-/ If you already have it, then maybe this will help.

A friend told me to try this:

Download this: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You want to make sure that system restore is off when you run stinger

And, while the timer is up go into a dos prompt, or run cmd.exe type shutdown -a it'll shutdown the timer

Also, you want to shut down using ctrl alt delete msblast.exe

After that go to the control panel then into the administrative tools and select services. Scroll down to Remote procedure call and double click it, hit the recovery tab
    and put take no action on the first, second and third failure.

Also, I believe that it has something with Msblast.exe in your registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run remove the key about msblast.exe

I was lucky and all I had to do was run the Stinger and I am okay (I think) but for those who are having more trouble, try the rest (although I don't think you'll have to). And anyone else who is having trouble with worms or viruses try that stinger, it seems to work quite well for so little effort into getting it. Hopefully that might give another solution to killing it so then that patch can be effective. Goodluck
    Your solution seems to have worked for my case...
    Stupid Trojan viruses...