For those getting the RPC shutdown error, here is your answer,& msblast.exe - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those getting the RPC shutdown error, here is your answer,& msblast.exe

Originally posted by GetCarter
    www.sarc.com has a utility called FixBlast which does everything for you...
    HERE is a direct link to the download page for the tool GetCarter mentioned. You'll want to run it to remove the virus and install the Microsoft RPC patch in order to prevent getting reinfected.

And if you don't use a firewall, you might want to consider this to be a lesson learned. USE ONE!

Read more about this here!!!!

http://winxp.bink.nu/

Goldfish

hey there!!!

I cleaned my machine tonight. But I still have MSBlast in my start-up tab in msconfig. How do I get rid of it? Thank you!

Cntl+Alt+del to kill the process.
    Go to C:\Windows\System32 and look for msblast.exe and delete it.
    Type "regedit" after "Start" and "Run"
    "Edit" and "Find" and enter "msblast".
    Delete the registry in it... That should do it.

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.
    Originally posted by bromide
    try downloading that file...check to see if you left any ports open. especially your TELNET port. that is what this is going through. GOOD LUCK!
    Telnet is open on the routers. It is the only one that does not show up as stealth. Physically only 80,110,25 and Termial server is open. Now I never actually got the virus. But it has managed to kill performance and services like crazy. The problem is not resolved until SP4 and this patch is installed (2000).

Eric

i have got the the new virus on my machine but i have downloaded the the stinger program from macfee website but it did not find it i have just done the check on my mum pc and it has found it up but i have had the some problem the my pc doing the same thing (shuting down always) has my mums was, is it different for win2k3 which i have got, to xp that my mum has got
    Last edited by amd_dude; 08-13-2003 at 06:14 PM.
    Web Server: Linux Red Hat 9 Server
    Gameserver: Windows Server 2003
    Workstation 1: Windows XP Home
    Workstation 2: Widows XP Home

but i have turned the box back to restart computer in the recovery bit of the rpc service but it has not restarted for a while so i dont know if it has got rid of it but did not say it took it off
    Last edited by amd_dude; 08-13-2003 at 06:28 PM.
    Web Server: Linux Red Hat 9 Server
    Gameserver: Windows Server 2003
    Workstation 1: Windows XP Home
    Workstation 2: Widows XP Home

Goldfish

SP1 Necessary?

Hi all...

I'm hoping someone can help me. My computer is showing all signs of Blaster worm virus (multiple crashes, same RPC warning as others). I have followed all the steps with FixBlast making sure to disable system restore, verify digital signature of repair tool and then running the tool. But as some others have said, the tool indicates there is no virus found.

My dilemma is this: I haven't installed the patch as there is a line of text on the MS web page stating:
    The patch for Windows XP can be installed on systems running Windows XP Gold or Service Pack 1
    My system is running XP without SP1 and without spelling it out, I have to confess that there is a reason for this. But now I find myself in the position of possibly HAVING to install a patch that may not work without having first insalled SP1. Can anybody shed light on this or verify or at the very least, speculate?

Thanks...

Showhost

as someone mentioned earlier...there are different names for this virus...which may be the reason there is no trace of it. before you download the patch, i recommend download the latest definitions if you havent and also checking the other aliases...I am at work right now and dont have the link off hand. If i find it i will post it for you.

ginger's lovely home PC:
    Soyo Dragon Ultra Platimun P4 2.4
    GeIL PC3500 433MHz DDR ULTRA Platinum
    PNY GForce4 4600 w128

ok, i leave home for only 2 weeks and i come back to find my pc infected with this flaming virus (mum's fault, gggrrr).

i don't have a clue how it managed to slip through norton antivirus, but it did. so i did a complete wipe of my hdd by collapsing all partitions and making them from scratch and formatting afterwards. now i have NAV up and running again, installed the MS patch and got ZA3 running as well. i hope this works.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | 16GB Corsair Vengenance | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 | ATI HD 4850 | Crucial C300 128GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung F3 1.5TB | LG GH22LS30 DVD | Antec NeoPower 550W | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    Apple Macbook Pro (13.3") | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 1066 | nvidia 9400M | OSX "Snow Leopard"
    Currently playing; EvE Online - Incarna (PC/Mac) | League of Legends (PC)

Re: SP1 Necessary?

Originally posted by showhost
    Hi all...

I'm hoping someone can help me. My computer is showing all signs of Blaster worm virus (multiple crashes, same RPC warning as others). I have followed all the steps with FixBlast making sure to disable system restore, verify digital signature of repair tool and then running the tool. But as some others have said, the tool indicates there is no virus found.

My dilemma is this: I haven't installed the patch as there is a line of text on the MS web page stating:

My system is running XP without SP1 and without spelling it out, I have to confess that there is a reason for this. But now I find myself in the position of possibly HAVING to install a patch that may not work without having first insalled SP1. Can anybody shed light on this or verify or at the very least, speculate?

Thanks...

Showhost
    I also don't have SP1 but I download the patch ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en this one right?) and it seemed to work well on my computer, as I haven't gotten msblast again. As for getting rid of it, try going to the site I posted on the front page to get the stinger (maybe they updated it to include new names and such, and it will help you now?), otherwise try to go on Norton's site and find an update or whatever virus scan you have (or if you don't have one, now's a good time )
    [SGC Moderate Member]

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer..."

[Member of [PBLC]]

"We believe if you can hack into your registry to change something, you should!"
    - The Screen Savers