Refresh Rate issue with monitor

Sharky Forums

Thread: Refresh Rate issue with monitor

Expensive Sushi

Refresh Rate issue with monitor

This is probably something small and stupid I am overlooking. But with both my old monitor which kind of sucked and my new one, Windows XP Pro doesn't like the refresh rate going over 60Hz. If I play a game or something I can have it up at 85Hz at 1600x1200 and have no issues. But on the desktop or when browsing the web the screen shakes up a down just slightly, and continuously. Sounds small but even 20 minutes of this will give me a splitting headache as my eyes try to follow the screen as it moves up and down 1/4th of an inch every second.

So the issue is, WHY, only on the desktop/web browsing does Windows XP not like me going over 60Hz, at ANY resolution. I've even turned it down to 1024x768 and to a measly 75Hz (Monitor can handle 120Hz at this resolution) and it shakes still. But I can load up a game and it immediately stops and works perfect.

I've reinstalled windows since this was happening with my old monitor and eventually just gave up and left it at 60Hz but with my nice new monitor it's kind of annoying to leave it that low just because. Help please!

Monitor: NEC FP-912SB-BK
    Video Card: GeForce2 Pro 64MB

Thanks in advance for help.

i think this will help your problem

http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE | 16GB Corsair Vengenance | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 | ATI HD 4850 | Crucial C300 128GB | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Samsung F3 1.5TB | LG GH22LS30 DVD | Antec NeoPower 550W | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
    Apple Macbook Pro (13.3") | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz | 2GB DDR3 1066 | nvidia 9400M | OSX "Snow Leopard"
    Currently playing; EvE Online - Incarna (PC/Mac) | League of Legends (PC)