Dual monitor question...

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual monitor question...

Dual monitor question...

I have a GeForce Ti 4600 with both VGA and DVI out. My roommate just got a 9800 AIW which requires a DVI to VGA adapter if you don’t have a monitor that supports DVI. So we figured hey, why not try my setup running dual monitors. The only extra monitor I have laying around is a POS 15”. The setup went fine and I was able to span the desktop with some funky resolution. (I have a 21” Monitor). Anyway, I was hoping there was a way I could setup so it didn’t exactly ‘span’ the desktop. I want my original desktop to stay the same (the one on the 21” monitor) and just use the 15” for a little bit of an ‘extra area’ off to the right or something so I can play movies or whatever on it. I didn’t like having my system tray off on the 15”. Is this possible, or am I SOL?
    AIM: inex00rable

- Everything in life is simple, we just choose to complicate it with our emotions.

- Watercooled, and proud of it.

Hammerhead Shark
    control panel>display>settings...self explanatory once you get there. Some times you have to play around with settings. Anyway set the 21 as primary and you may have to reboot
    Thank you sir. May I have another?

Yes, I did that, but I only have three options. Clone, span vertical, and span horizontal. None of these options is what I am looking for. :-) I was thinking maybe there is a program that I can use to do what I want?

- Everything in life is simple, we just choose to complicate it with our emotions.

You are using the nView span option and what you need to use is Windows Dualview, See chapter 3 in this PDF: http://download.nvidia.com/windows/2...Guide_2832.pdf
    If your sig is longer than your post then type more.

Don't forget that your roomate can have dual-desktop too with his AIW

http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/aiw...play_main.html

Antec P180 w/ Enermax Liberty 500w
    AMD Opteron 165
    Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium
    OCZ 2GB PC4000 Gold OCZ5002048ELGE-K
    eVGA 7900GT 256MB
    Dell 2407FPW + Samsung 181T
    NEC DVDRW
    2xWD2500KD
    SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Logitech Z560 4.1 / Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's
    Windows XP Professional SP2 / Vista RC2

Dell Inspiron 8600 - 1.4ghz, 512MB DDR, DVD+R/+RW, WSXGA+, Radeon 9000, 40GB

Oh wow, my roomate is going to be very pleased to hear that. Both him and I were thinking he was going to have to buy a PCI video card. Thank you for the info.

Hammerhead Shark
    yikes the fact that you have a nvda card blew right by me

Okay it seems I have got it to work, but with one problem... When I play a movie on the 15" that is to the left of my 21" and try to full screen it, the movie gets full screened in the 21" and not the 15", what gives?

Reef Shark
    I don't think you're going to get it going anything other than fullscreen on a single monitor. Do you play games much? On my dual head setup (which is very similar to yours) the only games I can use both monitors with is Windows friendly ones - where you don't actually run the games full screen but in a window. Flight Sims are good for that.

If you want fullscreen on your 21" make sure that's the primary monitor. - click on the "Use this device as my primary monitor" in your screen settings.
    Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2GB Kingston DDR400 (3-3-3)
    2x XFX 7800GTX (SLI) | 20.1" GNR TS2000H | 17" AOC LM720
    (4xSATA) 1.2 TB | Pioneer DVD+-RW DL | Pioneer DVD+-RW
    SB Audigy2 Platinum Ex | Logitech X-530 5.1
    Logitech diNovo Bluetooth desktop | ThermalTake Xaser III V2000+, Enermax 600W

I do not want full screen on both, I just want full screen on the 15". Everytime I try to full screen a movie on the 15" it just jumps back to the 21".

Expensive Sushi
    Originally posted by FunctionX
    I do not want full screen on both, I just want full screen on the 15". Everytime I try to full screen a movie on the 15" it just jumps back to the 21".
    your problem is dependent on the software.

windows media player will let you full screen without goin back on your primary monitor.

But I found that powerdvd does (return fullscreen to primary).

windvd doesn't even work on the secondary, it doesn't overlay properly.

The only other way is the reverse the roles of the monitors (eg. make the 15" your main one) or do a clone (fullscreen on both, but this is what you didn't want).

(or just enlarge the display window of the movie, and don't do fullscreen)

Again software dependent. I guess find a peice of software that works. But powerdvd and windvd doesn't work (I'm assuming you want to play svcd's aka mpeg2s, if not why not just use wmp?).

(btw i have a 9800pro and I'm doing dual with that, so my experiences or solutions may differ from other people)

Hammerhead Shark
    windvd will let you also.

Actually, Windows Media player does not seem to be working. If I open a movie, move it over to the 15” and full screen it the media player window will stay in the 15” but the movie will maximize in the 21”. If you take it off full screen the movie goes back to the 15” and plays fine.

Expensive Sushi
    Originally posted by clh61
    windvd will let you also.
    windvd never worked for me.

Expensive Sushi
    Originally posted by FunctionX
    Actually, Windows Media player does not seem to be working. If I open a movie, move it over to the 15” and full screen it the media player window will stay in the 15” but the movie will maximize in the 21”. If you take it off full screen the movie goes back to the 15” and plays fine.
    hmm.. are you using mplayer2.exe?

aka version 6.4? alt-enter?