Windows .vs Linux

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows .vs Linux

Windows .vs Linux

Hey all, I'm building my own custom system, and I need everyone's opinion. All my previous computers in the past have had Windows, but for my new build, I'm considering RedHat too. Which is better? What are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks!
    My Future Baby!
    Processor: Intel P4 2.8C
    Mobo: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
    Video Card: Guillemot Hercules ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
    RAM: OCZ (x2 512MB) PC4000 with Gold Heat Spreaders
    Input: Logitech Cordless MX Duo
    Speakers: N/A For Now (Keeping the ones I have)
    HD's: x2 Western Digital Raptors SATA 10000 RPM 36.7 GB @ RAID 0
    Case: AHANIX Platinum XP
    Power Supply: Antec TrueBlue 480w
    Custom Watercooling!!!

Tiger Shark
    Linux is STABLE as hell. Linux is FAST. Linux can DO anything a Windows system can... only better.
    The Cons? No support. By that I mean you can't play most games on it without a Windows emulator (which sucks) or if the game itself is ported to Linux.
    THUS, if gaming isn't your thing (IE: Half-life 2, online role-playing games, ect.) then Linux rocks. Note the learning curve though if you've been using Windows for a long time. Linux is more like DOS than Windows.
    CASE: Antec P180 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 | M/B: BFG 680i SLI Motherboard (BIOS P26)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator DDR800 (2 x 1 Gig) Video: BFG Nvidia 8800 GTX | HD: 150 Gig Raptor
    Sound: On-board for Ventrillo, X-FI Gamer for games | Monitor: DELL 2407WFP

Hammerhead Shark
    I would suggest that you stick with what you know. If you are curious about linux, try it out, but I wouldn't try to go in head first, because I suspect you'll come out with a sour taste.

Personally, I run Gentoo Linux on my main desktop machine (soley Gentoo, no windows) and on my colocated web-server (again, only Gentoo--though when I upgrade the hardware, I may switch this to FreeBSD). I don't play too awful many games. Mainly just Urban Terror, anymore. As far as other functionality goes, my productivity has increased a bunch since I switched.

You have to keep in mind that it isn't necessarily easy. To get my system to the point where it is took me quite a few hours of configuration and tweaking. Now that I have it there, I'm very pleased, though.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

Gentoo takes considerably longer to install and configure than Red Hat. GNU/Linux takes some more work than Windows, so I agree with your general point; just that with Gentoo you need to compile everything yourself. It literally took 2 days to compile KDE on my dualie PII Gentoo box
    Stuff and stuff

Hammerhead Shark
    True, but you can always do a Stage 3 install and install X and your window manager with binaries. This takes less than an hour for me. Once you have it up and running with a web browser and such, you can emerge sync && emerge -uD in the background to gain the full benefits of a source-compiled system.
    Nick_B

IMO, the only real deciding factors between Linux and Windows today are A) You use your system mainly to play games, or B) You don't have time to invest in learning a new OS. If either of those are true in your case, stick with the Windows OS you're use to. If neither of those are true, give Linux a shot and you'll find that you can do pretty much everything you're use to doing under it, and in a lot of cases, you can do more.
    -BR

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hammerhead Shark
    I think that's a good way to sum it up, BR.

Though, if you are very anti-B (ie you have all sorts of time to dedicate to a different OS) and you are really, really persistent you can still run quite a few games.

Whatever the case, the gaming situation is improving IMO. I haven't been screwed out of any games i really wanted to play lately. Granted, I'm pretty casual about gaming and usually just hit the big titles. In our LANs we mostly play Urban Terror and/or Starcraft.
    Nick_B

Thanks for the advice guys. Gaming is going to be about, 1/4 of what I use the computer for. Based on what you guys said, I guess I'll just stick to the familiar Windows for now. I don't exactly have that much time to set up/learn a new OS...football, soccer, school, homework...that's pretty much my whole day right there, from 5:30 A.M to 11:30 P.M.
    Thanks for the advice though.
    My Future Baby!
    Custom Watercooling!!!

There's always the possibility of setting up a dual-boot to learn Linux in whatever meager spare time you can get.
    Desktop: Intel D845EBG2 | P4 2.2 GHz | 512 MB PC2100 | GeForce 4 Ti 4400 | SB Audigy 1 | WD 120GB 7200 RPM | Sony 16x DVD-ROM | Lite-On 40x12x48x CD-RW drive | Antec True 480W PSU | Viewsonic G90fb | Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 | Windows XP

Dystopia, a cyberpunk Half-Life 2 mod, has a demo available. Try it today!

Proud Opera user

Dual boot....what OS would control what? Would I have to have x2 separate HD's to do that?
    My Future Baby!
    Custom Watercooling!!!

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by BlizzHaX0r
    Dual boot....what OS would control what? Would I have to have x2 separate HD's to do that?
    No, you wouldn't need two harddrives, you'd just need 2 or 3 partitions. No OS would really control different things. Rather you'd boot into one or the other. The space would be split however you decided when you partitioned, and one system or the other would control a bootloader (ie you could use the NT loader or the [vastly superior] grub bootloader).
    Nick_B

I think I'll just stick to Windows :P
    I don't really have time to figure all this dual boot stuff out
    My Future Baby!
    Custom Watercooling!!!

Dont say that, configuring dual boot for xp/2000 is as simple as pressing the 'install onto master boot partition' radio button rather than 'install onto master boot record'. Red Hat does the rest for you.
    Now for some shameless self promotion:
    www.noo-paala-films.tk [seriously, its good]

Nah, I think I'll just stick to Windows, I already know a lot about it, and that way there won't be any compatablity issues.
    My Future Baby!
    Custom Watercooling!!!

Well I am a Linux convet. I do everything I used to do in windows.... including gaming. That is not really an excuse any more for not choosing Linux. I recommend Mandrake over other distros for new guys only because its the easiest to learn and also does the most complete install.

A default install will net you an Office suite, tons of Multimedia and a great browser. Then you could cruise over to Transgaming and pickup Winex for your gaming. It works very well.

Try it you won't be disappointed!!!
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3 3.6x4 | 16gig Ram | Nvidia GTX550-TI | 60Gig SSD | running Kubuntu 64 bit
    www.linuxloader.com