Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder disables audio recording

Sharky Forums

Thread: Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder disables audio recording

Radeon 9800 Pro All In Wonder disables audio recording

I guess my problem is simple. Ever since I installed my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, I haven't been able record audio with Audigy II Platinum through it's front line-in "instrument" jacks. I have Cakewalk Sonar XL 2.2, and Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4.0 for audio recording software. They both worked fine the day before I installed the 9800 Pro, when I had my regular 9700 Pro. I even reinstalled the OS fresh with the 9800 Pro, still the same problem. I have all the latest drivers and patches for everything also.

The driver disc that comes with the Radeon 9800 Pro has a lot of software applications on it that it installs all at once. Is it possible one of these is messing around with my audio recording? I have the option to do a custom installation, but I don't know what's needed, and what's not. I finally switched back to my 9700 Pro and everything is working fine again. But I want that 9800 in there. Can they coexist or not? Has anybody else experienced this problem or have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Are you sure that the specified audio-in ports on the front are not muted?

I never have the inputs muted, unless the software that came with the card muted them. Is that possible?

Originally posted by sunkenstate
    I never have the inputs muted, unless the software that came with the card muted them. Is that possible?
    Yes.

Well... dang. I'll be hitting myself over the head if I went through all that reinstalling and switching of cards simply because I didn't check something as simple as my inputs being muted. I'm used to them by default, not being muted. Here we go...

I'll see if that's the problem this weekend when I have time to switch the cards out. Thanks for the info people. I appreciate it.

did ya make sure to plug that goes in the back of the card to the vid card to the sound is in? i know thats what was wrong.

I got a wild hair and decided to do it real quick. Nothing was muted by the new software. I even went crazy and uninstalled all the software that requires the AIW side of the card to function, still nothing. All that's on the computer that supports the video card are the video drivers, the control panel, and the WDM capture driver.

Angomeka, could you elaborate a bit one what you're saying? I don't understand what you mean. Am I requried to use one of those plugs that came with the AIW to hook up my sound card and my video card together externally to record sound through the Audigy II line-in's? This is news.

Mako Shark
    Since the AIW by default uses the line-in for tv audio (thats what the 6" audio cable is for) it will most certainly change your line-in settings. It may even change them if you decide not to use the line-in and use something else for tv audio. Audio is set up the first time you use the multi-media center to watch tv.

To re-enable the line-in, double click the speaker icon next to the clock, unmute the line-in and raise the volume. Then click "options->properties->recording->ok and make sure the "select" box is checked for the line-in.

You may have to make this adjustment every time you want to switch from one to the other.
    Am I requried to use one of those plugs that came with the AIW to hook up my sound card and my video card together externally to record sound through the Audigy II line-in's?
    No, there are several different ways to connect the audio for both your AIW and your other external sources. Regardless of how you choose to set it up, you need to set it up correctly. The software doesn't know what you want unless you TELL it what you want.
    Last edited by russ_watters; 09-25-2003 at 04:20 PM.
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net

[B}
    Angomeka, could you elaborate a bit one what you're saying? I don't understand what you mean. Am I requried to use one of those plugs that came with the AIW to hook up my sound card and my video card together externally to record sound through the Audigy II line-in's? This is news. [/B]
    Yup then from there you need to turn on the line in, in the os and you will have sound the one that you use is on the side that is near the vga port and on the other side of it is the cable plug in. I would post a pic but i am at work sorry

Thanks for the info. One problem though I forgot to mention. I literally have to disable all the ATI audio options in the hardware manager just to get Sonar to start up, and Acid to work properly when open. After disabling all of that, everything works fine, except for my issue of no recording from the line in. I'll try what you guys suggested in a little bit. I'm 100% sure that nothing is muted, but still need to try the "options/properties/recording/ok" stuff.

To tell you the truth though, this AIW card is more of a pain than anything right now. If I would have known it'd be this difficult to access my recording software every time I wanted to use it, I'd have passed on this card for a regular 9800 and bought the tv tuner seperate from The Geeks or something. I was in the market for a second video card and a tv tuner, so I thought this would be a smooth way to go...

Thanks again for all the info though. This has been quite the learning experience.

I gotta hand it to you Russ, that worked! My problem was that the AIW deselected the line-in inside the Windows/Audigy sound options. I've never had to outright select that, because it's always been selected by default, I guess. Everything works smooth now. I suppose I can reninstall all of the software that came with the AIW now.

But I'm still curious as to why the ATI sound in the hardware manager is causing the two recording programs to not work at all. I suppose I don't exactly need them unless I use the media player software that came bundled with the card. Either way, I'm happy now I got my programs working again. Thanks.

Angomeka, I guess I didn't need the external hookups after all. Thanks anyway though. I could decorate a Christmas tree with the amount of cables that came with this thing.

Angomeka, I guess I didn't need the external hookups after all. Thanks anyway though. I could decorate a Christmas tree with the amount of cables that came with this thing.
    Glad to hear ya got it working and i was thinking the same thing about those cables i dont use half the cables it came with. But i know if there is ever a multimedia project i got the hookups for it.