System Memory Question

Sharky Forums

Thread: System Memory Question

System Memory Question

I feel like this is a common knowledge question around here. But I just don't know too much about it.

I have 1G of system memory in my motherboard which has three slots. Right now, I've got 512 in slot one, and 512 in slot three.

Two questions. Will adding an extra 512 in the vacant slot cancel out my dual channel mode? And my last question, how much would I really benefit from adding another 512 of RAM? The RAM I already have is rather pricey, and if it doesn't give me reasonable results, I might reconsider adding another stick. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

By the Power of Greyskull Colossus's Avatar
    You wont gain another really by adding a 3rd 512MB stick... You are already at a nice sweet spot of 1GB

I have 1GB and I have installed up too 2GB and I noticed ZERO difference.. I am barely over 600MB used during some extreme gaming

Im not sure if you would lose DCDDR from adding a third.. I would consult the manual.. But if I had to guess.. I would say yes... But it is possible that you wont.. If the mobo maker paired off 2 slots so the BIOS will talk to them as 1024MB and 512MB stick and work DCDDR with that...

I know some much more experienced AMD DCDDR users can answer that question better then I can

Intel I9 14900K|ASUS - MAXIMUS Z790 HERO|ASUS GTX 1080 Ti|64GB G.Skill|(3) Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVME |Custom water cooling||Alienware AW3423DW 34" OLED

288TB Plex server (UNRAID)
    (18) WD 16TB Red

you wont lose your DCDDR capabilities...

However their is almost no point to having 3 sticks in at the same time anyway.

Thanks for the info. Ya just saved me $100+.