The true purpose of the BIOS update

Sharky Forums

Thread: The true purpose of the BIOS update

The true purpose of the BIOS update

Bare with me, I'm still learning.

What exactly does updating the BIOS do? I mean, does it make things run faster? Does it make your motherboard accept more kinds of hardware, and drivers for that hardware?

I've always thought that it just gives more options in the BIOS menu, possibly making them a bit more efficient. Kind of like drivers for hardware. But I just don't know really.

I'm roughly two or three revisions behind on my motherboard BIOS. I have to put in a floppy drive yet on my computer. But if updating the BIOS isn't a critical asset, then I think I'll pass since I don't ever seem to have any real problems running the PC.

Could somebody who knows give a simple explaination? Thanks a bunch.

Re: The true purpose of the BIOS update

Originally posted by sunkenstate
    Bare with me, I'm still learning.
    Here is my (fully clothed) explaination why I have updated my bios. My motherboard would not recognize an Athlon XP 1900, a bios updated corrected that, so now it recognizes the chip correctly and I can take full advantage of my cpus speed. Sometimes a bios update adds support for new chips and devices. Other than to add a new feature or correct an on-going problem, I can't think of a good reason to update a bios.
    Athlon XP 1900+
    PC Chips M830LR
    512 Mb DDR2100 Crucial Ram
    PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 64Mb
    Mad Dog Prowler 4/1 DSP
    Buslink 48x CDRW
    Creative SBS 250 Speakers
    Nokia 17" Multigraph 447Za Monitor

Re: The true purpose of the BIOS update

Originally posted by sunkenstate
    Could somebody who knows give a simple explaination? Thanks a bunch.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Unless you are o/c'ing or trying to squeeze some performance out of your rig there is no reason to update.
    Stuff and stuff

can a bios update make a computer run faster??

yes, especially with newer motherboards.

can a bios update recognize newer hardware??

yes it can.

you should always stay up to date with the latest bios. it contains stability, compatability, and performance enhancements. my sandra memory score was around 4700mb/s in sandra at stock speeds when i first bought my IC7-G motherboard. after several bios updates, my stock sandra scores went up to 5000mb/s at stock speeds.

to sum it all up: flash your bios if you can. just make sure you follow the instructions carefully, because if you screw it up, you will kill your motherboard. on the other hand, if your computer is working ok, and you dont feel comfortable doing the flash then i wouldnt worry about it.
    P4 2.4C @ 3.3Ghz 275FSB 1.62v|Abit IC7-G|2x512MB Corsair PC3500 @ 440mhz 2-3-2-6|Saphire Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB|SLK-900u w/ 90mm Enermax adjustable fan|Hitachi DeskStar 180GXP 120GB w/8MB Cache|Antec TruePower 430w|SB Audigy 2|Klipsch PM v.2-400 w/SWS|Logitech MX510|Trinitron 21"

HTPC:
    P4 2.8C(stock)|Abit IS7|2x512mb Corsair PC3200|MSI Geforce4 4200 128mb|2x180gb Hitachi 180gxp|SB Audigy 2 zs|Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultras|NetGear 802.11g Wi-Fi|Hauppauge PVR-250|Logitech cordless desktop MX for bluetooth (mx900)|Enermax 350w|ATI Remote Wonder

Old Faithfull:
    P3 1ghz @ 1.1 147fsb|Asus CUSL2-C|512MB Crucial CAS2 PC133|Creative Geforce2 GTS 32MB|IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60GB|SB LIVE! 5.1|Creative Desktop Theater 5.1|Enlight 300w PSU

Originally posted by natgun
    can a bios update make a computer run faster??

yes, especially with newer motherboards.

can a bios update recognize newer hardware??

yes it can.

you should always stay up to date with the latest bios. it contains stability, compatability, and performance enhancements. my sandra memory score was around 4700mb/s in sandra at stock speeds when i first bought my IC7-G motherboard. after several bios updates, my stock sandra scores went up to 5000mb/s at stock speeds.

to sum it all up: flash your bios if you can. just make sure you follow the instructions carefully, because if you screw it up, you will kill your motherboard. on the other hand, if your computer is working ok, and you dont feel comfortable doing the flash then i wouldnt worry about it.
    I think many people would disagree with flashing the BIOS whenever a new one comes out. These aren't like drivers that always be quickly undone if you don't like the results. BIOS updates are put out to address very specific issues, and if you aren't having an issue related to the BIOS update, you are best leaving well enough alone.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

i think i sorta made that case too unforgiven. only those comfortable with bios flashes should attempt it.
    P4 2.4C @ 3.3Ghz 275FSB 1.62v|Abit IC7-G|2x512MB Corsair PC3500 @ 440mhz 2-3-2-6|Saphire Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB|SLK-900u w/ 90mm Enermax adjustable fan|Hitachi DeskStar 180GXP 120GB w/8MB Cache|Antec TruePower 430w|SB Audigy 2|Klipsch PM v.2-400 w/SWS|Logitech MX510|Trinitron 21"

HTPC:
    P4 2.8C(stock)|Abit IS7|2x512mb Corsair PC3200|MSI Geforce4 4200 128mb|2x180gb Hitachi 180gxp|SB Audigy 2 zs|Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultras|NetGear 802.11g Wi-Fi|Hauppauge PVR-250|Logitech cordless desktop MX for bluetooth (mx900)|Enermax 350w|ATI Remote Wonder

Old Faithfull:
    P3 1ghz @ 1.1 147fsb|Asus CUSL2-C|512MB Crucial CAS2 PC133|Creative Geforce2 GTS 32MB|IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60GB|SB LIVE! 5.1|Creative Desktop Theater 5.1|Enlight 300w PSU

The first thing to do when you notice a newer bios is out is to check WHAT it updates. If it's some critical things that hardware/software needs, go ahead. If sounds minor (like a newer CPU support), then don't bother.

Thanks for the info everybody. This is all very useful information that I'll take into consideration in the future. It honestly doesn't sound like I'll be updating my BIOS after reading through the replies. My computer runs great right now. And on top of that, I've never flashed a BIOS. However it's on my list of "things to do (learn)". I think I'll experiment with my old Asus board before I attempt flashing my current one. Thanks again.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    I am in the camp of not having to upgrade the bios that much at all.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Initially, it was big deal to update the bios for compatibility with AGP 8x and ATI's 9700pro chip. For the most part, you really don't have to worry about flashing the bios.

Reef Shark
    Like the man said, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. A lot of things (that can be fatal to your rig) can go wrong when doing the flash. I for one won't do it unless the computer's on a UPS.

Mako Shark
    Originally posted by proxops-pete
    The first thing to do when you notice a newer bios is out is to check WHAT it updates. If it's some critical things that hardware/software needs, go ahead. If sounds minor (like a newer CPU support), then don't bother.
    This is the main point to take from this, sunkenstate - READ the list of fixes/improvements for the bios update to determine if you need it. If not, don't bother.
    Desktop: Athlon XP 2500+/333 @12*180, 2x 512pc3200 DC, Epox 8rda (nforce2), X800 XL 256MB, WD 200 GB, Lite-On 4x +- DVDRW
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron, Centrino Duo 1.83ghz, 1GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 256 MB Radeon 1400, 17" widescreen display

www.russsscope.net