Most in-demand technologies?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Most in-demand technologies?

Most in-demand technologies?

What would you say some of the highest-demand software technologies are for careers in the US, relating to web dev and database design/admin?
    Stuff and stuff

Great White Shark
    Asp for web development and Oracle & SQL Server for database.

That's pretty much the impression I have gotten. I trust with your experience in the field you're probably right on with your assessment as well.

Now, what would you say are the most profitable (i.e. highest-paying) positions in IS/IT, not restricted to web dev and databases?
    Stuff and stuff

A really good DBA can make a lot of $$, particularly Oracle DBA's.

Well-seasoned Java developers and OO architects also make a pretty penny from my experience.

And like anything, the higher-up the food chain you go, the less technical "hands on" stuff you're actually doing, but the more money you make (i.e...Project Managers, Directors, Senior Architects, etc)

I'm not really sure, but I would think that since there are so many .NET developers out there, the market saturation makes them more expendable, and thus, paid a little bit less.

Texan Dragon Moderator Galen of Edgewood's Avatar
    Originally posted by Grizzly
    I'm not really sure, but I would think that since there are so many .NET developers out there, the market saturation makes them more expendable, and thus, paid a little bit less.
    And easier to replace (read: expendable).
    Dragon of the OC Crusaders

Break the rules and you're snack food for this dragon...

Great White Shark
    Originally posted by Tekime
    That's pretty much the impression I have gotten. I trust with your experience in the field you're probably right on with your assessment as well.

Now, what would you say are the most profitable (i.e. highest-paying) positions in IS/IT, not restricted to web dev and databases?
    Entrepreneur, if you are successful. If not, it is not profitable. Overall, a person who works for himself/herself will make more money than working for someone else.

He, very true ua549. I suppose this is true of most markets though. Let's hope I am the successful type, as I'm very possibly going into business in the near future developing applications and providing consulting for small businesses.

One of the reasons I asked this originally is to get a non-bias feel for what the 'big dogs' are in the software/DB market. You've pretty much named what I have found myself too. Except I have no experience in Oracle or Java, very little in SQL Server and little in ASP. My partner is fluent in ASP and SQL Server, and I've got a fair bit of experience in Access/VBA, PHP, MySQL, Perl, and standard web languages (HTML/XHTML/CSS/JavaScript), as well as Photoshop/PSP. Plus plenty of hands-on experience with hardware and small networks.

We both have experience in developing Access applications for call centers, and we both have a bit of code which could quickly turn into a suite of software for start-ups. Our goal is to provide Access/VBA application design and implementation, web design and development, hardware & network installation/upgrading, and consulting to small businesses.

Ever trying to expand my knowledge, I want to move into a more 'serious' language which at the same time can benefit my business goals. We also need to decide how much work we will be able to perform on our own and what will need to be out-sourced... or what we will simply need to turn down.
    Stuff and stuff

Like mentioned above, Oracle is one of the highest paying DBA jobs. System admins for AS/400, HP-UX, and the like make decent money as well. In the end though, you have to be in IT management to make the highest salaries. A typical director where I work makes over $100k a year and we do very little developement. Even a project manager like myself can start making $50-60k a year having to do small amounts of software developement. I'm sure if you work in a true developement shop, you would make more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    - Asus M50 Laptop - C2D T9300 - 4 gig RAM - Radeon HD 3650 - Vista x64 Ultimate

- Intel i7-3770K - Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE - 32gig RAM - Radeon HD7970 Ghz - Plextor M3 256GB/120GB OCZ Vertex3
    - LG BluRay - Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Keyboard - Logitech G9x
    - HP ZR2740w/Asus LCD - W7 Ultimate

---------------------------------------------------------------

Surely your question should be "What technologies are the least likely to be outsourced to Mumbai/Manila/Kuala Lumpur/Shanghai and are therefore worth learning for a career in the US..."

moog
    No Norm, those are your safety glasses... I'll wear my own thanks.

Great White Shark
    According to MS Marketing, the major revenue streams are coming from the SMB (small and medium business) arena. They have moved top execs from their enterprise divisions to SMB divisions.

If you have the opportunity, attend a free MS TS2 event in your area. MS has several programs to help business such as yours. There is no cost to being a registered partner. In addition you then qualify for the MS Action Pack Subscription containing over $25k software.

Visit http://members.microsoft.com/partner/default.aspx

The Action Pack would be so helpful, especially since I'm not a student and don't exactly have $25k to spare.

A D.B.A. here in Maine is $10, and as a Parnership there are very few licenses we will need to acquire, so I hope the start-up costs will be fairly low as well.

Sharkies needs a Computer Professionals forum to discuss IS/IT careers and business.

moog: You make a valid point, which is one reason I'm glad I have some knowledge in the hardware end of things. They can only outsource so much! Well hopefully I'll find some success in my own ventures and won't need to crawl back to the corporate scene
    Stuff and stuff

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by Tekime
    moog: You make a valid point, which is one reason I'm glad I have some knowledge in the hardware end of things. They can only outsource so much! Well hopefully I'll find some success in my own ventures and won't need to crawl back to the corporate scene
    I started thinking about this recently. A company can outsource almost everything now. Include SA's. With the new lights out cards, a company theoretically only needs 1 person to live within an area. And that's more for hardware installation and to be there when the Inet connection goes down. If a server goes down during the night, it will be able to be restarted by a guy on the other side of the world who is working the day shift. Just random thoughts I had thinking about outsourcing.

Great White Shark
    Outsourcing is key to successful self employment!
    Most small and medium businesses outsource technical management, etc.

Yes, we will probably need to have some of our work passed off to a 3rd party so we can focus on managing the business and keeping work on the table. It's outsourcing to other countries I want to try and avoid. Not that I wouldn't consider a foreign developer as fully capable of doing the job, and would involve someone overseas on a project, I would just hate to build up a large staff and then dump them all so I can get cheaper work in some other country.

I'm thinking way ahead of myself though! I'm still reasearching at this point, I don't want to get myself in a heap of trouble or debt.
    Stuff and stuff