The width of that $@@#$% scroll bar?

Sharky Forums

Thread: The width of that $@@#$% scroll bar?

The width of that $@@#$% scroll bar?

Ok, so my nice 800 x 600 page, which has survived all of Dreamweaver's templates' attempts to resize and grow it, is still showing up with a horizontal scroll bar.

After much brainstorming, i think i know why...that vertical scroll bar is taking up some space! How do i account for it?

I know this is going to be mean redesigning my tables, which will be a pain for the 50 - odd pages currently on my site, but how much should i give it for the title bar...how wide is it? Anyone know the pixel dimensions? Eyeballing it looks about 20...

-Dave.

It's usually best to not exceed 770 pixels in width (allowing 30px for the scroll bar). You'll notice that Sharkyextreme.com does exactly that. In reality, I think it's approximately 24 pixels in width.

I believe Windows defaults to a 16px wide scrollbar, but you still need to allow for the window border on either side. As such it's probably more like the 24px Grizzly mentioned.

For a long time I ensured my designs would always fit in a 600px wide window, and for the most part I still try to do this. Nothing irritates me more than a web site that takes up the entire screen; realistically if I can't size the browser as I see fit then I avoid that site like the plague. Sharkies is pretty much borderline for me.
    Stuff and stuff

Hmmm, so i need to redesign to a 770 pixel-wide main layout table.

Thanks, guys.

-Dave.