Got a gripe with this XBIT article

Sharky Forums

Thread: Got a gripe with this XBIT article

Hammerhead Shark

Got a gripe with this XBIT article

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...001160502.html

Pertinent parts:

Intel Corporation and Advanced Micro Devices rolled-out their new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and Athlon 64 FX-51 microprocessors last week. The new chips brought us some additional performance, but also ignited a number of very interesting trends in strategies of leading CPU manufacturers. Top-end desktop CPUs have never cost so much
    Oh really?

As we see, both companies are able to boost performance of their microprocessors using various methods; at this time CPU giants simply sell remarked server chips in packages compatible with desktop infrastructures. Next time AMD and Intel may choose another approach of gaining extra 5 to 15% of performance from their chips to sell them at the never before seen price-point for PC processors at above $700.
    Hmm, so I didn't buy a PIII 1Ghz for $1000 several years ago? Wasn't the Tbird the same price?

Is the author that new to the computing world, or is the memory span that short in the internet age.

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    Both of the 1ghz processors from AMD and Intel were above 700 bucks.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Hammerhead Shark
    For crying out loud, I can remember the P166 MMX for $1K when they first dropped it. It's only in the last few years that CPU's have gotten this cheap.

I'm going to have to go with the option that the XBIT article was written by a 15 year old with no experience before 2000.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity.

Sleeps with the Fishes talldude's Avatar
    Lol...then you gotta factor in the annual ~3% inflation to the price as well. A $1k processor 7 years ago would cost around $1200 today. So yeah...never before seen price point - SO CHEAP WE'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT!

Sleeps with the Fishes Alientank's Avatar
    What do you expect? Prices are low because everyone and their mother has a computer.

Texan Dragon Moderator Galen of Edgewood's Avatar
    Originally posted by s1203372
    For crying out loud, I can remember the P166 MMX for $1K when they first dropped it.
    I remember my father blowing $1K on a 486DX4 100... *shivers*
    Dragon of the OC Crusaders

Break the rules and you're snack food for this dragon...

Maybe Anton Shilov just moved to the states recently and come from somewhere who's mothers dont have computers

Mako Shark
    People really forget that just five years ago it was hard to find a CPU for under $700.
    If you really want 'em to be a single unit, duct tape your router to your modem. - Skydog 5/5/2005

MAIN - HP - e6300, 2GB DDR2, 300GB HDD, 250GB HDD, `6x DVD-RW, ATI X800GT, 500w Rosewill PSU

Work - eMachine T6520, A64 3400+, 1GB PC 3200, 300GB HDD, 16x DVD R/RW, CD-ROM, Via Envy Sound

HTPC - 2500XP, 1GB PC3200, 60GB HDD, 8x DVD R/RW, Via Envy Sound, ATI 9600PRO, 380w Antec PSU

SERVER - 1800XP, 512MB PC2100, 3x40GB HDD (RAID5), 2x40GB HDD (RAID1), DDS3 Tape Drive, 300w Enermax PSU

Doesn't every new chip released by Intel cost at least $600?? AMD chips are usually a tad cheaper, but this (the FX) is a huge chip for them. Not sure what this guy is talking about....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alue=4186,4721

After however many months this has been out, it is still selling for $617.... Someone needs to inform this guy. However, if he is talking about the entire package to run the new processor then he might be right. New socket, new RAM, and new board are a must, which puts the cost of an FX system pretty far up there. However, the EE price shouldn't be a surprise at all. That site really is hit or miss when I check it. A lot of times they have great info, and other times it really is lacking.
    Pyro's Updated 3dmark01/03 Guide
    "It takes time and study to undo the effects of evolutionary teachings"

|:~T-Bred B~:| |:~nForce2~:| |:~GF4 Ti4600~:|

yeah.. i remember my dad bought me 8mb EDO ram for christmas so i could play wing commander.. was like $60
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    I remeber paying 50 bucks per megabyte.

When a 1 gig HDD cost 1 thousand bucks.

When 8 inch disk drives were used.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Originally posted by richardginn
    I remeber paying 50 bucks per megabyte.

When a 1 gig HDD cost 1 thousand bucks.

When 8 inch disk drives were used.
    Do you also remember "let there be light!" or is that before your time?

I'm just kidding!

Hrmmm... I remember the first time I helped install windows. I remember liking dosshell better, or Qdos. I remember not being able to read but knowing how to navigate through a DOS computer by rote (find the right directory and execute the right file to play a game).

I remember the first CD-rom I ever owned (a 4x drive, that was BIG business)
    Originally posted by Ferrett
    I'M SORRY. There were hot girls. I got distracted.

Reef Shark
    My first Hard Drive was a Cider 10meg for my Bell & Howell apple II+. It cost 799$ Ultima I, Autoduel, 300 baud manual modems.. Ahh life was much simpler then.
    YOU LIVE IN A CAPITALISTIC WORLD! WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU ALLY YOURSELF WITH ANY VIDEOCARD COMPANY IN A PROFIT DRIVEN ENVIRONMENT. YOUR BEST CHANCE OF BEING HAPPY IS BEING AN INDEPENDANT INFORMED CONSUMER!!

INDEPENDENT CONSUMER FANBOY
    AMD 3200xp
    Asus A7N8 - Deluxe
    1 gig ddr 3200
    ATI AIW 9800 Pro
    Nforce 2 chipset
    E-Machines 19" monitor
    80 gig Maxtor 7200
    Plextor 0x-708a dvdr/drw
    Win XP Pro