Shuttle MN31/N issues...

Sharky Forums

Thread: Shuttle MN31/N issues...

Shuttle MN31/N issues...

I have an AthlonXP 2500+ with 512MB Corsair Value Select (CL2.5) on a Shuttle MN31/N. The computer boots only if I leave the power supply off for 30 seconds before each restart even to change BIOS settings. If it boots, it invariably freezes either on the desktop or whenever I use internet or graphics apps, esp. 3D games. Is there a fix for this or do I need to RMA? I'm fairly positive the mobo is to blame; all parts are new. Oh, the mobo also freezes after each restart. It flashes a quick message saying not to do anything while it changes settings, then it hangs. I waited 10 minutes once - nothing.

One thing though... my power supply doesn't have the additional 4-pin power brick (ATX 12v I believe?) that goes next to the main 20-pin plug on the mobo... could that be responsible?

Thanks!

Gateway NV53 15.6": Athlon II M300, HD4200, 4GB DDR2, 320GB 7200rpm

Next upgrade: As soon as I can get an Ivy Bridge machine with 128GB SSD for under $600.

Great people talk about ideas.
    Normal people talk about things.
    Small people talk about other people.

it might be the 12v conector... the manual says not to run it without it installed so thats what i do... havent had any problems yet
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Most Shuttle boards I've worked with have this issue at 166fsb. Two fixes. First, update your Bios here.

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/do...p?model=MN31/N

If that doesn't fix it, you need a fan on your northbridge. Pick one up for a couple of bucks and get some Arctic Silver III and apply that to the chip and you shouldn't have any problems after that.
    drs1771
    Main rig: i7-2600K, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, 16GB Kingston Hyper X 1333, 320GB Seagate Sata 3.0 X2 (Raid 0), Intel 40GB SSD Cached (Intel Rapid Storage), ATi Radeon HD5700.

"It's not the size of your sig that matters, its the size of your heatpipe..."