logging into linux from windows 2k/xp

Sharky Forums

Thread: logging into linux from windows 2k/xp

logging into linux from windows 2k/xp

ok i am setting up a linux server that i want to be able to log into it from my linux boxes and my 2k and xp boxes. i have been reading about nis for linux but i dont know how i could log into the linux box with 2k/xp. i want all the usernames on the linux server like they are for windows server on domains. and only admin users for the regular client boxes. i dont know if that makes sence or not. also this is so i only have to set the usernames and passwords up on the server not the individual clients. please help.
    Last edited by Muk108; 10-07-2003 at 04:52 PM.
    WHy...why...

What services do you want your Linux box to provide to the Windows clients? Your authentication options will vary A LOT depending on what you're looking to do.

If you just want file sharing, you can install/configure Samba on your Linux box. Then set up usernames & passwords on the Linux box, assign permissions, and you're set. If you've got a lot of time to do some reading, you can find documentation all over the Internet (like HERE) that tells you how to configure Samba (or Samba-TNG) as a domain controller for a Windows network.

If you just want to get a command prompt on the Linux box from a Windows client, run an SSH server on the Linux machine and use an SSH client like PuTTY to access it.

i would like it to be the login maniger(sp) and file share. and it would be a web/ftp server. but if i set it up like taht would it make it so you would have to know the login from the linux server and not a local one. and would there be a way to make it so there wasnt a local username exept for the administrator one? i dont know that much about domains on windows, i jsut thought thats how it was done on windows.
    WHy...why...

what i use is ssl on the server and user putty on my win2k to get into my linux server.

Hammerhead Shark
    Originally posted by Muk108
    i would like it to be the login maniger(sp) and file share. and it would be a web/ftp server. but if i set it up like taht would it make it so you would have to know the login from the linux server and not a local one. and would there be a way to make it so there wasnt a local username exept for the administrator one? i dont know that much about domains on windows, i jsut thought thats how it was done on windows.
    Samba is probably what you are looking for. It can imitate a windows domain controller. You say you aren't familiar with windows domains. If this is the case, the best suggestion I can give you is to simply read up on samba and windows security in general. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

i understand how they work and all. i just dont know the ins and outs. but another thing i just thought of is, would i be able to have them have their own folder on the samba server that on the windows server shows up as a different drive. and if its a linux computer it would show up as /home/(the username) or could it be /(the username)?
    WHy...why...

Hammerhead Shark
    Yeah, home directories like that are actually relatively easy to setup. I've never used a login script or such to connect to them, but that ought to be possible. Failing that, you can always establish the connections for each user (which isn't a big deal as long as we are talking small-scale) and save the mount point.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

yeah it would only be around 5-10 users at most.
    WHy...why...

ok i got everthing setup, exept i cant login....

i doing it from a windows xp for testing, and i type in MYGROUP as the domain, the root as user, **************** as the password ( for the samba thing) i have that setup, and it says it doesnt recognise the domain.

here is my smb.conf file

Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = Samba Server
    netbios name = linuxbox
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = yes