Hardware
    Mobo:Epox 8rda
    Mem: 1 gig
    cpu: 1.2 athlon xp
    power: 350w
    scsi card: adaptec
    scsi hd: 2 - 9gb seagte 10k

Problem
    when i booted up the first time, the mobo was able to recognize the scsi card and 2 hd's. when i tried to install XP, it said that i didnt have enough disk space or no hd was connected. i figured that maybe a connection was loose or somethin so i checked all the connections and they were fine. i then booted up again and now my mobo is beeping and has a code 25 on it. I thought maybe it didnt like the way i put the memory in its banks so i switched that 2x. Still doesnt work. anyone got clues to what i'm doin wrong or what i need to do?

Great White Shark
    It depends upon the specific model number of the SCSI adapter. Not all SCSI drivers are included with WinXP. Did you try to install the disk drivers during the first part of the install? IIRC there is a prompt for you to press F6 to load the drivers from a floppy drive.

Expensive Sushi
    i would do that but i cant seem to get rid of the error first. It wont allow me to boot from cd or floppy as of now.

Id yank out everything connected to that mobo. According to epox's manual for the 8rda the error you are getting is "reserved" what ever that means, just probably that you shouldnt get that error..

Unplug everything, all IDE devices, the power to all devices, all PCI cards, including the scsi card. So the onlything that should be touching your mobo is cpu, power, ram, vid card. If that removes the error then plug the scsi card back in. If that makes the error come back then there is your problem

Also, what is the model# of the scsi card? What is the model# of the scsi drives you are using? Has the SCSI card or any of the drives ever worked?

If the scsi card isnt the problem the just keep plugging stuff back in until you get that error again. What power supply do you have? Maybe you are sucking too much power? List everything in the case, all cdroms, HDs, removable media drives, and PCI cards...

If you still get the error after you unplug everything then you are SOL unless you have another computer where you can swap ram cpu and vid card with...

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.
    Originally posted by ua549
    It depends upon the specific model number of the SCSI adapter. Not all SCSI drivers are included with WinXP. Did you try to install the disk drivers during the first part of the install? IIRC there is a prompt for you to press F6 to load the drivers from a floppy drive.
    AFAIK xp should pick up most Adaptec cards.

Eric

Expensive Sushi
    i dont believe the scsi card is the problem. The time that it did boot up, the card was recognized and so was the hdd. But now since i tried to put in the second hdd, the mobo gives me the error. I tried just taking out the second hdd that i put in but the error is still given.
    Power shouldnt be a problem cause nothing else is connected besides the floppy, hdd, vidcard, and scsi card.
    Oh, and i made a mistake. Scsi card isnt adaptec, its LSI Logic. But either way, it WAS recognized by the mobo.

Need help... PLEASE

Originally posted by snboard88
    i dont believe the scsi card is the problem. The time that it did boot up, the card was recognized and so was the hdd. But now since i tried to put in the second hdd, the mobo gives me the error. I tried just taking out the second hdd that i put in but the error is still given.
    Power shouldnt be a problem cause nothing else is connected besides the floppy, hdd, vidcard, and scsi card.
    Oh, and i made a mistake. Scsi card isnt adaptec, its LSI Logic. But either way, it WAS recognized by the mobo.

Need help... PLEASE
    Unplug the scsi card from the mobo. See if that gets rid of the error.

Houston, TX mostly. Lima, Peru partiallly.

Need help... PLEASE
    Hmm, it said adaptec on the original post. It does not matter if the system sees it, the OS has to have drivers to see it correctly. It will not just work. Most cards that existed before XP was developed *should* work but I do not know about LSI or what model you have. If they are not built in you have to hit F6 at the beginning of setup and put the driver diskette in when it prompts you. Otherwise it will not see the hard drive at all. I'm not sure why your not booting though. Possibly something is loose?

Eric
    Last edited by ewitte; 10-10-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Reef Shark
    You are sure that your hard disks are set to different SCSI id's? I assume they are because they were recognized at original boot.

Perhaps you have a dodgy SCSI cable? Just trying to help.
    Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2GB Kingston DDR400 (3-3-3)
    2x XFX 7800GTX (SLI) | 20.1" GNR TS2000H | 17" AOC LM720
    (4xSATA) 1.2 TB | Pioneer DVD+-RW DL | Pioneer DVD+-RW
    SB Audigy2 Platinum Ex | Logitech X-530 5.1
    Logitech diNovo Bluetooth desktop | ThermalTake Xaser III V2000+, Enermax 600W

Expensive Sushi
    Ok, so i decided to yank everything out but the vidcard and scsi card. Error fixed. Ya!!! Mobo recognizes scsi card and hdd but when i partitioned the hdd with PM7 and tried to install an OS, the setup menu tells me that 'Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.' But i know the mobo recognizes the hdd. What should i do next? I'm beginning to think that all computers are plotting against me.

Great White Shark
    Don't use Partition Magic on your system drive! There are known issues with volumes created by Partition Magic.

Delete the volumes and start over.

WinXP gives you the opportunity to set volumes and sizes during the installation process.

And like ewitte mentioned, you may have to load your SCSI card drivers at the beginning of Windows setup. The instant you see the blue screen appear during setup, start pressing F6 -- don't wait to be prompted! Then you'll be given the opportunity to load your SCSI card drivers from floppy.

(This step isn't just a SCSI thing... Any disk controller that doesn't have drivers built into Windows would require this.)

Originally posted by ua549
    Don't use Partition Magic on your system drive! There are known issues with volumes created by Partition Magic.

Delete the volumes and start over.

WinXP gives you the opportunity to set volumes and sizes during the installation process.
    I think Ive run into this problem before also... Ive just always let win2k and winxp make my partitions for me. Plus the HD manager in XP is quite straight forward..

Expensive Sushi
    I think i got it to finally work. Only took me about 10yrs to do it tho. One more quick question, how much space does winxp usually take up on a hdd? Cause it looks to me its takin about 3.5gigs. Is there something with xp that it takes up more space on a scsi hdd than it does on a reg one?

I think i got it to finally work. Only took me about 10yrs to do it tho. One more quick question, how much space does winxp usually take up on a hdd? Cause it looks to me its takin about 3.5gigs. Is there something with xp that it takes up more space on a scsi hdd than it does on a reg one?
    Naw.

I dont remember very well but Im pretty sure a fresh install of XP can get that large. I think my Winxp partition is under 6 gigs and there is a gig free right now. I have all my programs installed on another partition but they still put stuff on the C:\... no matter where you tell them to go. So Id say 3.5 is about right.

------edit
    Ooh yeah the swap file and the hybernate file. Turn off hibernation since Im sure you never use it. I have my swap file on two dif partitions other than C:. But the swap file and hibernate file can take up like 2gigs+
    Last edited by jamesavery22; 10-15-2003 at 10:23 AM.