Project Zelda

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Zelda

Project Zelda

Link...
    The time has come to test thy courage...
    I have been cursed...
    I need you to break the curse with your wisdom and courage.
    Dost thou have courage enough to undertake this task?

The Curse: A stock case (Antec slk3700amb)
    The Remedy: Modification

I have been a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series, ever since I played Ocarina of time (yes I know that isnt very far back in the LOZ chronology, but this game hooked me with its deep story, wonderful layout and design, and for the time beautiful graphics.)

No one has made a Zelda themed case to my knowlege, and I feel that it deserves a tribute.

With that said, on with the work log!

Here is the original case, stock:

for more images check out:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....129-122-01.JPG

After getting some money from student loans/state of Michigan merit award, I got a nice new multi speed dremel with the flex shaft

first thing first, I cut out the back stock fangrill, the hexigonal shapes made it a bit of a hassle because they left holes where there shouldnt be, but i plan to fix that soon

I decided, before I go ahead with sanding the main case, I wanted to work on the psu. The color scheme for the outside is planned to be Green, with black accents, and other colors in accordance to design. First up, disassembly, but I ran into a snag. Other psu's i've worked with came apart with no problem, but this one had some little circuit board with an aparatus i'd guess was power surge protection, take a look in the pic below

So to work around that, i cut the wires connecting it to the psu and slipped a sandwich bag over/though the hole and taped it tightly at the end. From there it was ready to sand.

all sanded and ready for painting

More on the way very soon!!
    Last edited by DRxAndy; 10-16-2003 at 06:54 PM.

So do you have any conceptual drawings as to what you're going for? I'm unsure whether its just a Zelda themed case, or the big tree themed case...

Looks good so far though!

can't wait to see the finished product!
    Athlon 2100+
    SLK-800 w/ TT smartfan 2
    Asus A7N8X
    Corsair 768mb pc3200
    Turbo link 420 watt
    CHIEFTEC Server Chasis Model Black
    PNY Geforce 4 TI 4200 64 MB AGP 8X
    10 gig Quantum,60 gig Western Digital
    Dvdrom 16x brand name
    48x cd-rw I/O magic
    17" Gateway Flatscreen moniter
    winxp pro
    aim: PsYcHoCoaLx

My Rig
    3DMark 2001SE Score: 11168

Originally posted by Underage AOLer
    So do you have any conceptual drawings as to what you're going for? I'm unsure whether its just a Zelda themed case, or the big tree themed case...

Looks good so far though!
    i do, but dont want to give away any ideas of what the finished project will look like
    The tree is just a nerdy opening line
    it's from the start of ocarina of time, and i thought it would be a good opening for the thread haha

Reef Shark
    Dang... sounds interesting... can't wait to see how this turns out
    | Processor | Intel Pentium 4 @ 2800 MHz | Motherboard | ABIT IC7-Max3 | Memory | 2 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR | Graphics | ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | OS/Prog HDD | W.D. Raptor 36GB (10k) SATA | Storage HDD | Seagate 160GB (7200) SATA | Burner | Lite-On 52x24x52 CDRW | DVD-ROM | Lite-On 16x DVD | Sound Card | Philips Acoustic Edge | Speakers | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Flash Media | Lian-Li Flash Media Bay | Display | Dual NEC 22" Flat CRT | Case/PSU | Lian-Li PC-65B w/ Antec 430W | O.S. | MS Windows XP Pro | Printer | Epson Stylus Photo 2200

Catfish
    hurry up

Good luck! This should be interesting.
    Antec SX1040BII | Epox 8RDA+ | AMD 2500+ @ 3100 speed [2200 Mhz (200 x 11.0)] | Zalman CNPS-6000-Cu | 512 MB PC3200 Crucial | Western Digital 80GB | Samsung 160GB | Gainward Ti4800Se | Lite-On 52x32x52 | Lite-On 16x DVD | Win XP Home | Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200ES| Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200PS | Logitech MX 700 Mouse & Cordless Elite Keyboard

Hmm, I never liked Zelda, so that kinda put a sour taste in my mouth from the start of this thread.

But, I love case modding, more than I hate Zelda...so I'm interested in what you have in store. Hopefully it is good enough to follow that elaborate introduction you gave us

looks to be a very entertaining project and i'm quite a zelda fan, so that's a double bonus. be sure to keep updates coming
    Abit IP35 Pro - Core2Duo E8400 - 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1066 - ATI 4850HD
    - 2xRaptor 150GB RAID-0

Dave? Dave?! Dave's not here...

THE OWL, OUTSIDE KOKIRI FOREST:

Hoo hoot!
    Link...
    Look up here!
    It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure!
    You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times!
    Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle.
    You will meet a princess there...
    If you are lost and don't know which way to go, look at the Map.
    All right then, I'll see you around!
    Hoot hoot hoot ho!

-----------------------------------

Painting the psu:

I got a nice deal on a 4 pack of camoflauge krylon from walmart for $2.00, included were black, tan, brown, and olive - even though i wont be using the other colors at the moment, black went into effect.

Weapon of Choice

The box makes a nice painting stand eh

Here's a pic of the bottom

Just about 10 minutes ago I gave the bottom (with the 80mm fanhole) a nice black gloss coat.
    When painting the main part of the psu for the first time, it tipped over when i brought it inside... so i had to sand again and re-spray, so i'll wait overnight to spray with the gloss.

Pics of both parts glossed will be posted tomarrow
    Last edited by DRxAndy; 10-16-2003 at 06:53 PM.

OWL, OUTSIDE CASTLE:
    Hey, Link! This way!
    The princess is inside the castle just ahead. Be careful not to get caught by the guards!
    Ho ho ho hoot!

Well, well, which way are you going to go now?
    Hoo hoo hoot!
    Hoooo. You're a smart kid.
    Good luck, then. Hoo hoo.

-----------------------------------------------------

Time for an update!
    unfortunatly yesterday it rained, so I had to wait untill today to finish up the painting.

I've read several places that the best way to apply a nice smooth paint job is in thin coats, and the way to thin the paint is by putting the can in hot water for a couple minutes. I had this large cup from a Central Michigan university football game, and it works perfectly

Heres the bottom of the psu (with the fan hole), the ring isnt a paint splotch, it's actually the overhead light's reflection

The top of the psu was giving me a lot of trouble, it might just be because i'm trying to go a little faster than I should, and applying the paint wrong, but i think i got it right this time (after about 3 times of having to sand haha)

Since I had the black paint out, I figured why not do the case feet as well.

Yesterday I got one of my orders from svc (includes small sleeving for fan tails, as well as other small wires, heatshrink, and some nifty black thumbscrews), and today from newegg the dvd rom

Thats all for this update, the next one should be soon
    Last edited by DRxAndy; 10-16-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Thumbs up

Heating the parts will help with paint adhesion.

Update-tastic

SOLDIER GUARDING GATE TO HYRULE CASTLE:
    So you say you want to see Princess Zelda, eh?
    You probably heard about her in town and decided you had to meet her... Well...
    Go home! Get out of here!
    The Princess would never grant an audience to the likes of you!

------------------------------------------

Time for another update!

I finally got the power supply painted the way i wanted, its nice and shiny, with a pretty much even paint job, not much is noticably wrong with it - and its just the powersupply anyway.

hmmm day of the dead + sandpaper + sanding block = ?

haha, it took me about 3 hours (the movie + the other disc's behind the scenes and out takes haha) to sand the panel to the way I wanted it. Behind it, is the other side panel to give a compare/contrast. I used 40 grit Aluminum oxide sandpaper, and it did the trick nicely.

Got another package today, containing some cold cathodes (i wont specify the color, you'll have to find out soon), a vantec 120mm stealth, and some of those noise damping silicon dealies (i've never tried them before, but i figured hey - why not)

Thats all for this update, but more should be on the way pretty soon

So you're trying to become the biggest nerd in history eh? Well, you're still pretty far away from Bill Gates.

Just kiddin , i'm interested in what it will look like.
    Pages I liked that I found with StumbleUpon

My System:
    Intel E7200 Wolfdale Dual Core processor @ 3.4 ghz
    BFG Tech ES SERIES ES-800 800W Continuous Power supply
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L
    4GB Corsair DOMINATOR (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    22" CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black LCD Monitor
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 video card
    Creative Labs X-fi
    Denon AH-D2000 Headphones w/Headsave Classic V2 Headphone Amp
    Windows 7 x64

This is taking forever...

But still, I like the small little updates. It keeps you guessing