Tech-mods winners

Sharky Forums

Thread: Tech-mods winners

Tech-mods winners

<rant>

Read the rules and then read all about the 'truck' that won. When half your projet is machined by someone else and even your tachometer interface circuit was designed by someone else what does that say? Don't get me wrong - the truck is a great mod but IMHO goes against the rules.

Yes I entered and no I didn't expect to win. The other two winners are fully deserving IMHO and did fantastic work. Yes, they built their mods themselves too. There are others there more deserving for the recognition.

</rant>

...WAIT FOR IT

Well you know who would have won if it was up to us Sharks

At least you have the self satisfaction of knowing you hand crafted every single piece of yours To me, that says alot about the people that judge these contests.

hehe thanks X I didn't really expect to win and I really don't need any of the prizes. I'd just like them to follow the rules. I see a couple other candidates that are more deserving IMHO.

I personally liked the small clear cube for third. The hellraiser cube was cool too but I've seen that before..

Ahh well
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Re: Tech-mods winners

Originally posted by Adisharr
    .....When half your projet is machined by someone else and even your tachometer interface circuit was designed by someone else what does that say? .....
    I feel the exact same way. I dont give people respect just because they can buy a nice looking rig. Just shows that you have a lot of money. A bunch of people voiced the same opinion about a different guy awhile back.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthre...highlight=tool

But yeah I dont think he should have won either.

I agree that it isn't very fair for someone that did little actual work on a project to win a contest based on workmanship. However, I don't belive that this guy falls into the catagory of not having done any of the work.

From what I've heard he designed the whole thing and did the final assembly. In my opinion, this guy doesn't deserve the treatment we gave the guy with the flight simulator setup.

I think the contests need to be more specific about what they want. They probably simply weren't prepared to judge professionally outsourced work differently from DIY work because they don't have any experience in this field.

Most of the automotive design and building contests are completely dominated by purely professinal work or cars with prohibitively expensive parts. I can see case modding moving in that direction. That's just the way things are.
    P4 2.4C @ 3.44Ghz , 285 FSB -- Asus P4C800-E -- 512 Mb Corsair PC4000 -- Radeon 9800np 445.5/398.3 Vmodded-- 2xRaptors in RAID 0 -- Watercooled CPU, GPU and Northbridge -- Handcrafted Case

... And Folding Like No Tomorrow

Originally posted by zackbass
    I agree that it isn't very fair for someone that did little actual work on a project to win a contest based on workmanship. However, I don't belive that this guy falls into the catagory of not having done any of the work.

From what I've heard he designed the whole thing and did the final assembly. In my opinion, this guy doesn't deserve the treatment we gave the guy with the flight simulator setup.

I think the contests need to be more specific about what they want. They probably simply weren't prepared to judge professionally outsourced work differently from DIY work because they don't have any experience in this field.

Most of the automotive design and building contests are completely dominated by purely professinal work or cars with prohibitively expensive parts. I can see case modding moving in that direction. That's just the way things are.
    That's a good point of view. He did make quite an interesting PC that's for sure. I blame the mods for not following their own rules - not Corrugated. He's a cool guy as are most of the guys in there.
    ...WAIT FOR IT

Sushi
    Thank goodness I came out of this still being cool!

<rant> I actually put many hundreds of hours into the project myself. Not everything was machined on the outside, only those parts that required a CNC. I do have access to a verticle mill and 10" lathe, but I can only do so much with those tools. I designed the tach interface myself and only had an outside service build it because it requred firmware to be written and burned. The program that controls it I wrote myself. </rant>

As for the contest, I didn't enter it, the admin entered it. I just posted it in the gallery.

Corg8d
    Last edited by Corg8d; 10-14-2003 at 06:45 PM.
    Mr. Anderson

Thanks for clearing all this up Corg8d!

Since you're already here, it's time for the question and answer portion of the show "Modders Interviewing Modders"(lol, maybe the rant above was just bait to get you over here?):

Were you tipped off on this thread by someone else, or do you read this forum regularly? I'm just wondering if there might be any other excellent modders lurking here.

Do you work with metal and electronics as a profession or is it just a hobby?

What part of the "project in question" was biggest pain in the *** to do and why?

About the whole outsorucing thing: I know that when I do a project I usually stay away from anything that I can't do in my garage . Did you just plan on having some of the parts made by someone else, or did things just end up that way?

BTW: I think any hostilites have been retracted
    P4 2.4C @ 3.44Ghz , 285 FSB -- Asus P4C800-E -- 512 Mb Corsair PC4000 -- Radeon 9800np 445.5/398.3 Vmodded-- 2xRaptors in RAID 0 -- Watercooled CPU, GPU and Northbridge -- Handcrafted Case

... And Folding Like No Tomorrow

dont mind me for being ignorant but where do you even see who submitted and won? im not even show what contest you guys are talkig about but i would like to see what kind of entrys were put in. thanks!(if its in a post just a few down, im blind)
    WHy...why...

Sushi
    I think I came off harsher than I wanted to also, so for that, I apologize.

I have sharky bookmarked and visit daily. I am definately more of a lurker, but am doing my best to interact more.

In my youth (now 42) I was into cars, electronics, and recieved machining experience from my grandfather. I got hooked on computers and programming in college, and the rest is history.

The biggest pain, hmmmm..., I would have to say that it was the polishing. Over 200 hours doing that alone.

For some of the parts, I new outsourcing was the only choice based on what I wanted to do and what equipment I had availible. The paint I was going to do originally, but I was attempting to make the CPL and time became a factor. The new chassis that is powered wasn't even in the original plans, but through a large number of people questioning and pushing, I finally caved in.

In the end though, I did it for the fun of doing and hoping others would get a kick out of it as well.

I will have videos after the weekend so everyone can see it cruising around.

Referring back to the contest, I originally didn't enter because I didn't think my mod was within the rules.

Corg8d
    Mr. Anderson