System Crashing

Sharky Forums

Thread: System Crashing

Expensive Sushi

System Crashing

I'm hoping someone has an idea here...

I just got Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 and installed it on my machine. However, each time the game starts playing, you can hit a few shots and then it either crashes the game, or the whole system causing a total reboot. I thought it must be a driver problem so I updated my video card drivers and sound card drivers. Still, it crashes. Then I made sure DirectX 9.0b was updated. Still, it crashes. Then I defragged the system. Still crashing. So I think there must be some problem with the system that I can't figure out.

However, I take the machine into the shop to show them what happens and of course, as we all know, it doesn't crash at all after 30 minutes. All that was connected at the shop was the power cord, video card to monitor, mouse, and keyboard. So, I think it must be a problem with one of the devices I'm connected to. It's all I can think of.

The problem is not:
    -good enough hardware: i have a 1.7gig athlon, 512mb ram, radeon 9200 video card, audigy sound card, and 430w power supply
    -overheating: plenty of cooling in my system with a system heat monitor included, heat never gets over 110 degrees F

Any ideas on what could be causing my system to crash?

At home I'm connected to speakers though my Audigy sound card (although the motherboard Asus A7N8X has onboard sound), a printer, mouse, keyboard, viewsonic monitor through my video card, and DSL through the network connection.

If anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas, they'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    ASUS A7N8X nForce2 Deluxe Motherboard
    Athlon XP 2000+
    Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
    NVIDIA Ti4400 GeForce 4
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Western Digital SE 120GB Hard Drive
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 40GB Hard Drive
    4x4x24x CD-Writer

who makes your psu? it could be a bad power supply

Expensive Sushi
    Antec, so I don't think so. Plus, it worked when I took it into the shop. Thanks though. Any other ideas?
    Athlon XP 2000+
    NVIDIA Ti4400 GeForce 4
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    4x4x24x CD-Writer

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar
    Since you do own this game a great forum for golf game junkies is the coursedepot forums.
    www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Originally posted by richardginn
    Since you do own this game a great forum for golf game junkies is the coursedepot forums.
    or calling up ea

Reef Shark
    My view is that there may be two answers to your question:

1) one of the components within your system was mis-seated, such that id didn't get sufficient power when you were playing at home, but the move to the shop dropped it into place and everything worked fine.

2) The shop has a more reliable power source than your home - this I know is unlikely.

The only thing I can think of recommending is ensuring that all components within your system are closely fitting. Can't think of anything else.
    Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe | 2GB Kingston DDR400 (3-3-3)
    2x XFX 7800GTX (SLI) | 20.1" GNR TS2000H | 17" AOC LM720
    (4xSATA) 1.2 TB | Pioneer DVD+-RW DL | Pioneer DVD+-RW
    SB Audigy2 Platinum Ex | Logitech X-530 5.1
    Logitech diNovo Bluetooth desktop | ThermalTake Xaser III V2000+, Enermax 600W

Expensive Sushi
    Thanks for your reply. I was wondering both of those things, but had no basis for my "wondering". I'll make sure everything is secure and try it again tonight.
    Athlon XP 2000+
    NVIDIA Ti4400 GeForce 4
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    4x4x24x CD-Writer