difference between audigy and audigy 2?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: difference between audigy and audigy 2?

Hammerhead Shark

difference between audigy and audigy 2?

time to get a new soundcard.
    my philips acoustic edge makes migrain causing beeps in max payne2, and my old aureal vortex2 plays the voices in chipmunk mode.
    (I'm rather inclined to blame the game since it's by rockstar and the gta3 wasn't coded very well)

anyways what's the difference between those two? just marketting gimmicks?
    I don't need firewire either.

I see this
    CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER AUDIGY 2 PCI 24-BIT W/ SB1394 OEM for -$106CAD

and
    CREATIVE LABS AUDIGY EAX PCI SOUND CARD 5.1 OEM W/ DIGITAL OUT -$64CAD
    which I think is a Audigy LS
    Last edited by Elxman; 10-19-2003 at 01:02 PM.
    boo! bah!

The Audigy 2 has better DACS for music and is a 6.1 card. I recommend you get the A2 oem. I love mine.
    Spoiler

Hammerhead Shark
    thanks for the reply,
    have you come across any incompatibilities?
    I've had my share of experimenting with odd hardware (unproven) and want to go the stable route.
    boo! bah!

NP.

No problems here. Just installed it with the included cd drivers and it worked perfectly. I upgraded from an Sblive 5.1 mp3+, which never had problems either.

P3 1Ghz
    512mb ram
    Geforce 2 gts 64mb
    Winxp Pro
    Asus motherboard
    Spoiler

The audigy 2 is a great card. I noticed a huge difference upgrading from the soundblaster 5.1live. There are no incompatibilities that i'm aware of, and many games are now recommending the audigy 2.
    My Current System
    C2Q Q6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 1.31v | Zerotherm NV120 Nirvana | Asus P5W DH | 4GB Corsair G-Skill PC6400 | 1GB HIS IceQ4 4870 Turbo | X-Fi Xtrememusic | Megaworks 650 6.1 | 500GB WD SE16 | Corsair TX750W | TT Tsunami | Log. MX3100 Duo | Dell 2007WFP | Vista HP x64
    3d05 - 20025 | 3d06 - 15570

My Heatware | My Rig Pics/OC | Sharkyforums 3dmark Team
    |
    Currently Playing- DoW:2, UT3, TF2, NWN2

Catfish
    Just for info Max payne 1 and 2 where devolped by remedy. They just are published by rockstar. So it has nothing to do with gta3 similarties.

I normally don't buy a sound card until its been in the market for 6months. You have that much more stability. By waiting 6 months you also get to pay less for the card....

When I upgraded from the SB Live! to the Audigy1 I didn't really tell the difference, but I noticed it on some instances. Later on another comp when I switched the SC from the SB Live! to the Audigy2 I remember a much more 'wow, that's a nice sound card'. There speakers were different for both rigs though, so that could play into the equation. But I must say, I found the Audigy1 as a 'dissapointing' upgrade and the Audigy2 as a 'worth the money upgrade'.
    Last edited by coolqf; 10-19-2003 at 11:56 PM.

Tiger Shark
    "When I upgraded from the SB Live! to the Audigy1 I didn't really tell the difference"

LOL. Thats not good.

The difference was night and day for me. What were you running for speakers?

Hammerhead Shark
    thanks for the inputs guys
    I'll be picking up the audigy2 tommorow.

I've had this acoustic edge for about 2years now and philips support is horrible, no driver updates in over a year, yet there are so many bugs.
    boo! bah!

Originally posted by Elxman
    thanks for the inputs guys
    I'll be picking up the audigy2 tommorow.

I've had this acoustic edge for about 2years now and philips support is horrible, no driver updates in over a year, yet there are so many bugs.
    Look for the Audigy 2 ZS, instead of the Audigy 2, if you can find it.

Also, you might want to keep your Philips Acoustic Edge card, in case you ever decide to build a Home Theater PC. That card is an excellent choice for HTPC rigs, especially when used with 2.1 hi-fi living room setups.

My main rig (nice & silent):

| SOYO SY-TISU | PIII-S 1.4GHz @ 1.225V with SLK-800(A) | 2 x 256MB Mushkin High Performance REV 3+ | Albatron Ti4600V with Zalman ZM80A-HP | Terratec DMX 6fire LT | Hauppauge WinTV-Theater | Intel Pro/100 VE | SOYO VT6202 | Hitachi Travelstar 5K80 40GB in Molex SilentDrive Enclosure | Samsung SM-348B | Sunbeam Rheobus | SilentMaxx ProSilence PCS-350 | Creative MegaWorks THX® 2.1 250D | Antec SX1030B | SMC 7008BR Barricade | Lexmark E323n | IBM P96 19" FD Trinitron | Win2K Pro SP4 |

Remember Rachel Corrie

www.whatreallyhappened.com

the audigy 2 is dirt cheap now though, i dont think the a2 zs is worth 2x the price. that's just my opinion though. if you want the best though, the zs is the way to go. i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference though, i think i'm going deaf using these ultras so much.
    c2d e6600, gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 3.3, x1950pro, 3gb ddr2 800

Catfish
    Not sure where you guys looks but at www.ewiz.com i got an audigy 2ZS for 88 in box retail. Where as i could only find the Audigy 2 oem for around 70. Was worth the extra 20 bucks i think.

Originally posted by Swerv
    "When I upgraded from the SB Live! to the Audigy1 I didn't really tell the difference"

LOL. Thats not good.

The difference was night and day for me. What were you running for speakers?
    They were some sony speakers, came with the Sony VAIO computer. Which explains a lot, but the other system that I upgraded the SC for had these no brand speakers that played sounds horribly, the quality of the speakers were much lower than of those for the Sony VAIO. Now, when I upgraded the Live1 to the Audigy2 on the 2nd system, I felt like the speakers had gotten a much larger boost than the Sony speakers got, to the extent that I felt like classifying the audigy1 as an upgrade for those who have less than a Live!, while the Audigy2 as 'worth the upgrade'

Tiger Shark
    This may be true in your case , but for the record there IS a change in audio quality going from an SB live to an Audigy 1. Obviously not as big a difference as going to an Audigy2.

there is a pretty big diff between the a1 and a2.
    c2d e6600, gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 3.3, x1950pro, 3gb ddr2 800